Last Movie You Watched...

ESKraay

ESKraay
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eskraay.com
The Way

Watched "The Way" last Friday evening with Martin Sheen; extraordinary film. Saturday I watched the 1972 "Brother Sun, Sister Moon." Forty years ago, my wife and I watched this on our first date. I loved it then, and believe I enjoyed it even more this time around.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Men in Black 3. Hmmm - some good ideas, fun aliens and explosive set-pieces, but ... doesn't seem to have been a happy film to produce. Some of the earlier dialogue with Tommy Lee Jones didn't seem to work too well.

If you've seen the first two, you're probably going to want to see this anyway. My 11 year old son liked it most of the time. But it didn't blow me away. Not one to trouble the 100 best movies of all time lists, let alone the 1001 movies you must see before you die book.

Okayish

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Coraline, with my 6 year old grand daughter. I had seen bits and pieces before but this time I sat down and watched with her. Surprisingly good. I have a box of grandkid movies. The Stuart Little movies are still my favorites but I won't mind watching this one again--s6

thewritestuff

Registered
Reaction score
What to Expect When You're Expecting. I was surprised the hubby agreed to go see this one. Alas, we were desperate to get out of the house and go do something. It had its funny moments, but overall, it wasn't a "must see".

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Battleship - Alien invasion + naval warfare exercises + untamed!!1! hero = blah blah blah. It was nothing to write home about, but I thought a perfectly acceptable summer movie--certainly better than anything Michael Bay has ever done. I think it probably would have gone down easier if they hadn't tried to tie it in with a board game. For some reason that really seemed to piss people off. I also feel bad for the actor playing the MC--he's now starred in two of the biggest bombs ever. (He was John Carter as well).

I especially liked how they kept it strictly realistic. All that stuff TOTALLY could have happened.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Slacker. The Linklater thing. Would have made a terrific short film but oy vey, it got dull at feature-length. Over an hour, I went from "interesting!" to "mildly cute" to "I think I'll go clean my tile grout with a toothbrush instead."

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Saw Dark Shadows in theaters, it was...'meh', all right. Not as fun as I was hoping it'd be. It could have used a better script doctor to clean things up. Johnny Depp was kind of lame in it. and I can't even believe I said that. Also just watched Copycat that old thriller with Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter, great movie. HOLLY HUNTER FOR ALL THE COPS.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
An American Haunting (2005, Donald Sutherland, Sissy Spacek). :rant: I am NEVER, EVER watching a movie again without checking IMDB for spoilers. I don't care anymore if I learn the ending. Because after a decent frame leading into a reasonably well-acted period piece, the reason for the haunting was that Sutherland was raping his daughter! :rant: and when we returned to the frame story and the daughter goes for a weekend with divorced dad, the ghost of girl #1 appears to mom to tell her he's raping their daughter. Granted, there were clues, and the longer I watched the more I kept thinking, Maybe I should turn this off now. :mad: I watch movies for escape--not to see acted out what I can read in the newspapers.

NEVER AGAIN. PERIOD.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Red Tails. Didn't see it in the theater for various reasons (mostly that I'm broke), but it was really good. I wanted to see it after an interview with some of the surviving Tuskegee airmen who said that this was for first movie to get it right and capture their experiences.

Though we did have an infuriating thing happen while we were watching. We ordered it through On-Demand (cable) and just as it's into the climatic battle as they approach Berlin for the first time--the TV suddenly shifts off On-Demand for a 3 minute tornado watch alert. That was just unreal. We were pissed at the National Weather Service, believe me.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I watched a couple on Fox FX using On Demand

One starred Timothy Olyphant of the Justified series where he went around in a bald head with a number tattooed on the back - can't remember the title, but kinda dark. Kept my attention.

There was another but I can't remember the title.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
We Need To Talk About Kevin - A drama about Tilda Swinton and her bad seed. Holy. Frigging. Crap. I thought this movie was absolutely amazing. I loved pretty much everything about it--the editing, the photography, the script, the performances, everything. I even liked John C. Reilly, and he normally rubs me the wrong way. First chance I get I'm going to buy 2 copies--one to watch over and over and over, and one to frame and hang on the wall so I can genuflect at it two or three times a day. This is how you make a movie. Loved it.

Having said that, it's probably not for everybody. WNTTAK wasn't quite as depressing as, say, Requiem For a Dream but it's in that same ballpark.

One of the many, many things that absolutely floored me was the editing. It jumped around chronologically through about four eras in Tilda Swinton's life in increments of maybe a minute or so. You'd think that would be irritating as hell, but it SO worked. And, the use of the sprinkler noise--wow. Just wow. They should teach this one in film school.

I cannot say enough good things about this movie.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Had a new movie double bill last night. We went to see the Avengers movie and Men In Black 3. We enjoyed them both. Avengers was spectacular.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Woman in Black...Hammer Films returns with Daniel Radcliffe in tow, for a really simmering spooker...atmospheric...creepy...high production values. Recommended.

ETA: Radcliffe looked downright hot with the Edwardian sideburns and black suit. Harry Potter's all growed up.

me-a-monsteR

Bites upon request
Registered
Reaction score
Watched 'Dark Knight' last night and WTF...
Everybody imitated everybody in previous incarnations of batman. Perhaps I'm too attached to Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson in the roles of batman and joker. Perhaps I can't deal with Heath Ledger's fake Jack Nicholson inspired American accent. Perhaps the plot just sucked.
The burnt face graphics for Harvey were nice though. Monster disappointed by everything freaking else :-(

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Tell Them Anything You Want: A Portrait of Maurice Sendak. Touching; and how many documentaries about writers are there?

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Prometheus. Barely coherrent. This film is a good example of when many scriptwriters on a project can make it worse.

It was just a long string of shit happening and very little made any sense. I very much doubt the inevitable sequel will clear this mess up.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
21 Grams.

I may need to watch it a few times more to see if I like it or not - it was one of those films... And I'm still not entirely certain of what was going on, but at least it didn't make me want to throw anything at the screen.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I watched Down Periscope last night when I went to sleep, because it was in the DVD player, and nothing else was on. But the last new movie was The Avengers. Absolutely amazing. Saw it twice in as many days.

An American Haunting (2005, Donald Sutherland, Sissy Spacek). :rant: I am NEVER, EVER watching a movie again without checking IMDB for spoilers.

You should have checked Rotten Tomatoes first. 12%. Ick.