Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Last Movie You Watched...

I got to attend the premiere of Dark Shadows! Click on the title for my review.

I watched Archipelago with Tom Hiddleston. It was a small indie film made in 2010. I liked the premise, but the slow, stilted camera work drove me crazy.
    Magnus Martinsson is my spirit animal.

"I've been led to a point where nothing short of my best shot at a righteous existence will do." - Robert Downey Jr.

Finally watched Star Trek (2009)
    It was interesting, funny, and (slightly) confusing. But I really liked it.
    lol @ green woman

Sometimes I creep myself out. AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    The first 5 minutes of "The Oval Portrait" or some such, supposedly based on an Edgar Allan Poe story.

Bad acting, bad sets, bad camerawork, bad script. (Keep in mind that I love bad horror--when it's done right. This was execrable.) Then the credits started. They misspelled Poe's name.

No. Just No.

I find ur lack of faith disturbing mellymel's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    The first 5 minutes of "The Oval Portrait" or some such, supposedly based on an Edgar Allan Poe story.

Bad acting, bad sets, bad camerawork, bad script. (Keep in mind that I love bad horror--when it's done right. This was execrable.) Then the credits started. They misspelled Poe's name.

No. Just No.
    bwhahahahah! What do you mean they mispelled Poe's name??? How is that even possible????
    Last edited by mellymel; 05-13-2012 at 01:10 AM.
    "The good thing about telling the truth is that there's nothing to remember."--John Ford Noonan (playwright)
    "Falling on your face is still moving forward."--Ron Maranian (comedian)

Find me on Twitter!: melksan

Sorry; I was unclear. They spelled it "Edgar Allen Poe."

Watching Red Shadow (again). I'll never tire of ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by msfowle View Post
    Finally watched Star Trek (2009)
    Excellent film as far as visual spectacle goes, though - as SFDebris points out well - there are plot holes which could easily have been fixed. I'm hoping the next one will be better.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

practical experience, FTW retromovie's Avatar
    Law Abiding Citizen It was unusual for a mainstream crime caper, which is good in itself, and quite appealing except for a couple of credibility problems here and there. The whole theme was cool. Before that, Revolver, which presumably no-one likes!

Self-Banned
    "Please Give" with Catherine Keener and Oliver Platt- Great!

"Panic" with Bill Macy, Donald Sutherland and Tracy Ullman- if you haven't seen it, make a point of it. A father and son hit man team, but done well- John Ritter as Macy's shrink.

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    Brothers. It was actually pretty good!
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
    Source Code was a lot of fun. I knew who the killer was in the first ten minutes but it was fun watching Jake Gylenhall's character figure it out over the course of the movie. The science didn't exactly make sense but it was a compelling idea.
    That was a fun movie, and the best part for me was that, like you, I knew who it was...but my husband was doubtful thinking that was too obvious.

For once, I was the one right about that kind of thing! What a beautiful thing!
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

Speaking of... I caught the last 10 minutes of the live-action DBZ.

If you're thinking it's worth a try... run away very fast in the opposite direction.

practical experience, FTW Seraph's Avatar
    That's not based on DBZ, but the first Dragon Ball anime when Goku was a kid, and yeah, does an extremely poor job adapting it. One of the worst examples of Hollywood butchering source material.

I remember "clueless kid Goku" from the Anime. I loved that series. Gah. What a horrendous job they did with that live-action movie.

practical experience, FTW Sargentodiaz's Avatar
    Saw Avatar twice in non-3D. Awesome scenery and I absolutely loved all the colors.

Acting ... okay, I guess. Noticed a couple of actors from tv shows. Weaver's sure looking her age.
    Father Serra's Legacy - Fun facts and tidbits of California and Baja California

The 27 Club.

Followed by Thumbsucker.
    From TWINK:
    I’m standing in the brightly-lit booking room of Hatley’s one and only police station, meekly handing over my possessions: wallet, keys, comb, belt, and money (four dollars and some change) to the nice policeman behind the counter; nice, because he offered me a stick of gum.

/my blog/

Rep'd by Brent Taylor @ TriadaUS Lit. Agency

Pulled out a couple of old flicks I have on DVD. One was 'Freaks' (1932)--still scary even though absurd and the other was Ride the High Country, with Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea. Mariette Hartley's first picture and Scott's last. What a movie!

Quote Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post
    Saw Avatar twice in non-3D. Awesome scenery and I absolutely loved all the colors.

Acting ... okay, I guess. Noticed a couple of actors from tv shows. Weaver's sure looking her age.
    I saw this in the theater in 3D - my first 3D experience, as well as my mother's (we thought for sure she was gonna yak! lol!) The visuals were phenomenal! The story itself was a bit meh.
    And Weaver may be "looking her age", but she'll always be Ripley to me.

Your thoughts are not real... mario_c's Avatar
    I saw The Raven. It had some good suspense, but overall it was a little silly and just didn't have any spirit. Too bad, because John Cusack just owned the role of Poe completely. (Best trailer: Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. )
    Finished my first novel. Buy it here.
    I write scripts, too..
    . Got comics art?

How To Train Your Dragon again, I absolutely love that movie and I can't wait for the sequel.
    “So, given a Time Turner, I would tell my 21-year-old self that personal happiness lies in knowing that life is not a check-list of acquisition or achievement.”~JK Rowling

On Desk: Nuthin.
    Trunked: Too many to count!

Chronicle - the shakey-cam genre's generic superhero origin story. Kept me entertained. Took itself a bit too seriously, I mean, come on, it's shakey-cam.

Just finished reading the Patriot Games and it has me jonesing to see it again, so it'll probably be the next entry on this page for me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

DavidWClary.com: Keep up with all the other DWC sites here

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur
    Battleship. It was worse than even you might think...
    This is my website, Korsgaard's Commentary.
    Please, read my works, tell me what you think, and be sure to share it and come back again!

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say. Lady MacBeth's Avatar
    I watched "Contagion" last night. Great movie!

Just a regular Fairy Princess bettielee's Avatar
    Serenity

Finally!
    I liked Contagion, too.

I have a new blog! Reading, Writing, Rithmancy
    Latest post: Literary Lettuce

Current project: editing a Gothic Romance that is of vampiric proportion

Twitter

Page 301 of 429 FirstFirst ... 51201226251276291295296297298299300301302303304305306307311326351376401 ... LastLast