Last Movie You Watched...

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Dude! (or dudette ;)) I'm totally in love with you right now for that rec!!!! Just watched the trailer and it looked like a cool combination of Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity, Poltergeist, and REC/Quarantine all rolled up in one!! Totally my kind of film. Yayayay. Going to see if they are streaming or through mail on Netflix. Let me know of any other horror films you come across that you enjoy. The only thing I don't like are movies like Saw, but other than that I'm a horror movie fanatic. Thanks so much!

ETA: it's on streaming! yay! Will be watching it this weekend. :)

I'm a dudette :)

Enjoy and let me know what you think! I'm a huge horror fan and have a really hard time finding stuff that actually scares me. Grave Encounters is FREAKY!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a dudette :)

Enjoy and let me know what you think! I'm a huge horror fan and have a really hard time finding stuff that actually scares me. Grave Encounters is FREAKY!

Honestly, I've found myself having to turn to a lot of foreign horror because like you say, there's just nothing that actually scares me. The most recent film that freaked me out (like srsly for a few hours afterward, I was really creeped out which hardly ever happens) was Paranormal Activity 2 but I think that's because i'm a mom ;) The only thing I'm finding with a lot of the foreign horror is that it moves at a totally different pace. Very slow, but very creepy (Let the Right One In, A Tale of Two Sisters ((Univited is the American version, but definitely has a faster pace)), Shiver, The Baby's Room, Dorm, etc.).

anyway, I'll let you know what I think as soon as I watch it!

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I've found myself having to turn to a lot of foreign horror because like you say, there's just nothing that actually scares me. The most recent film that freaked me out (like srsly for a few hours afterward, I was really creeped out which hardly ever happens) was Paranormal Activity 2 but I think that's because i'm a mom ;) The only thing I'm finding with a lot of the foreign horror is that it moves at a totally different pace. Very slow, but very creepy (Let the Right One In, A Tale of Two Sisters ((Univited is the American version, but definitely has a faster pace)), Shiver, The Baby's Room, Dorm, etc.).

anyway, I'll let you know what I think as soon as I watch it!

I LOVED Let the Right One In. Found it kind of sad, in a way. If you don't mind subtitles, I have a lot of movies to recommend. I'm living in Thailand right now, and they make amazing horror movies here (and many of them are available online, so I can send you the links to watch them).

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I LOVED Let the Right One In. Found it kind of sad, in a way. If you don't mind subtitles, I have a lot of movies to recommend. I'm living in Thailand right now, and they make amazing horror movies here (and many of them are available online, so I can send you the links to watch them).

Okay, so I just watched it and don't hate me, but...it was just okay for me. I think for me, if I had never seen Blair Witch (which I'm a huge fan of), I would have enjoyed this one a lot more. This movie was basically Blair Witch, but in an old asylum vs. the woods and honestly, the woods are always so much creepier to me. The set up was so, so similar and the camera angles and even certain shots looked so identical. It did still make me jump a couple of times, but for the most part it was very predictable (for me) and just way too similar to BW. But overall, enjoyable. I actually liked the set up of it and thought it was clever. They had some nice details that made it seem "authentic" lol

As for foreign horror, rec away. I watch a lot of foreign horror (w/subtitles) and actually find some of them to be better and more original than american horror movies.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I really enjoyed both movies... then I read the book. The book was HUGE. It had a lot of really deep stuff in it... so much of which wasn't even touched or flavored in the movie. Still liked them, tho.

Last move i watched was The Descendants, with my man George. Very good.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed both movies... then I read the book. The book was HUGE. It had a lot of really deep stuff in it... so much of which wasn't even touched or flavored in the movie. Still liked them, tho.

Are you talking about Let the Right One In and Let me in? I've heard the book is REALLY good.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Yes, indeed! Sorry I didn't clarify.

The book is really good, but a little long and sort of all over the place. But it's always nice to put down a horror or spec fic and go "Blast it! This genre stuff can be deep and meaningful when done right! Why don't people understand that?!"

Todd Young

Registered
Reaction score
But it's always nice to put down a horror or spec fic and go "Blast it! This genre stuff can be deep and meaningful when done right! Why don't people understand that?!"

I have to agree. It's a great book.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Watched Captain America last night. This was not my pick; I had no expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a fun super hero movie. I thought Chris Evans did a great job as Captain America. I give it a thumb's up!

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I gave in and watched Hanna. Very disappointing, and nothing like Leon, which I have seen it compared to.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:rant: I just watched a decent edition of The Tell-Tale Heart (1960). Decent until the very last scene--when he wakes up and it's all a dream.

icon47_0.gif
icon31_0.gif
icon16_0.gif

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
The Avengers - I'm going to quote a buddy of mine who sent me a text Friday night. Here it is in its entirety:
Brett; said:
OH MY GOD!!! THE AVENGERS FTW!!!!! JOSS WHEDON!!!!!!!!!! THE AVENGERS!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

That pretty much reflects my sentiments as well.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Thor. And it was not that great at all. We were disappointed.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Avengers!!!!

Joss Whedon is my master now...

The movie is ridiculously, impossibly good.

KRHolbrook

is not a My Little Pony
Registered
Reaction score
Watched My Little Eye. I think it's sort of like paranormal activity, but not sure, because I've never seen that movie. But they're being recorded everywhere in a house for some reality show that isn't legit.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Source Code was on TV last night.

I enjoyed it, but was confused at the very end.

I just don't understand the whole parallel/alternate universe thingy. :Shrug:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
You might want to try the Jet Li/Jason Statham movie The One. It's the movie that, apparently, Li turned down The Matrix for. (Bad Decisions 101) It's fun, moves fast, and explains parallel universes for the non-geek, like me. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to try the Jet Li/Jason Statham movie The One. It's the movie that, apparently, Li turned down The Matrix for. (Bad Decisions 101) It's fun, moves fast, and explains parallel universes for the non-geek, like me. :)
---

AAARGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Hack, vomit, clean off the keyboard...

Sorry.

Really bad movie, but fun in a dumb way. Just shows actors can make REALLY bad career decisions, sorta like Halle Berry doing 'Catwoman'.

Mee-ouch. What a stinker although to be fair, Halle is hawt in that flick. But it's just plain baaaaad.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, NewKidOldKid,

I forgot to tell you I saw a really good Thai horror film w/English subtitles (Didn't you say you are Thailand right now?). It's called Dorm. Did you see it? I thought the boy who played the MC was AMAZING. I was blown away by his performance and the movie is awesome and super creepy. I really enjoyed the story. A lot.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
My friend talked me into watching The Babysitter with her the other day. I expected it to be terrible, but Jonah Hill was actually quite good, and it was very funny.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw Pt. 2 of No Direction Home: Bob Dylan. It's a loooong documentary, but Scorsese did a great job with it. Also, I'm a huge Dylan fan, so I enjoyed all of the footage he dug up.