Last Movie You Watched...

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I believe last night I saw my winner for 'The Worst Movie I've Seen in 2012 Award':

Wild At Heart directed by David Lynch.

I saw this one when it came out in the theaters. That one was memorable because the audience members started walking out in droves. It was pretty sucky and I like David Lynch. Well, some of his stuff.

I watched Easy A this afternoon. It was fun; I thought Emma Stone was great.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hugo

Can anyone explain me how in the flipping heck this movie lost to The Artist? It's miles away to all of the Oscar nominated films I have seen.

Walkyre

I don't like Tom Cruise, but I liked this one. It really gives a fresh approach to an overdone cinematic setting as WWII.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Jeff, Who Lives At Home. Terrible, terrible movie. Anyone considering buying a movie ticket to see it in theaters should probably think twice. I've never seen a movie with such poor acting or so poorly casted. I suppose you could make the argument that Susan Sarandon gave a decent performance, but it wasn't nearly enough to salvage the movie.

brkingsolver

Urban Fantasy Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brkingsolver.com
Watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol yesterday. I speak Russian, so it was funny to hear the actors trying to do the same. Man, the accents were B-A-D. The movie was ok, I guess. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it either.

Off topic, but I saw the opera Eugene Onegin sung in Russian by a Texan. My Russian friend started laughing at the beginning and never stopped.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Order. Poor Heath. Half the cast of A Knight's Tale try their hand at an occult thriller. Not bad really. I liked the concept of the Sin-Eater.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Watched The Fantastic Mr. Fox and enjoyed it immensely. I've never been a fan of George Clooney but he did a great job as the lead.

Took my older son to see 'Hugo' and it's an excellent movie, well worth the cash spent (and in Japan, it's expensive to go to the theater). A first-rate look at the history of movies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Journey to the Center of the Earth. 1959. I saw this several times when I was younger and thought it was fun. Now, having just finished the novel. I watched it with a jaundiced eye wondering why they had to veer so far afield from the original story by adding a woman to the group and a silly goose and then adding the subplot of some sort of dangerous race between several parties trying to reach the center.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Journey to the Center of the Earth. 1959. I saw this several times when I was younger and thought it was fun. Now, having just finished the novel. I watched it with a jaundiced eye wondering why they had to veer so far afield from the original story by adding a woman to the group and a silly goose and then adding the subplot of some sort of dangerous race between several parties trying to reach the center.
---

It's Hollywood.

And speaking of such, after watching the original 'Journey to the...'and also '20000 Leagues Under the Sea' I can understand where Spielberg 'stole' his ideas from for Indy Jones. Nothing new under the sun.

I still remember James Mason's voice. Very fine actor, lent an air of dignity to any flick he was in.

BrumBall

Keep Right On
Registered
Reaction score
A Night to Remember. Brilliant 1958 telling of the Titanic story. On youtube if anyone is interested. No Celine Dion or cheesy love stories!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
"Stardust," was part fantasy, part steampunk and really well done. The actors stopped being actors and really embraced their roles, so don't let some of the big names scare you off if you aren't into big names. For me, it will be up there with, "Princess Bride," in terms of a fun, feel good movie good for families or valentines.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Signs. I want so badly to like M. Nights movies, but this thing was so self-absorbed, desperately reaching out with innuendo and subtle messages, that I think it imploded. It just took itself so, so seriously. As far as "less is more" in the alien's stage time, no...I did not work at all--not like it worked in Jaws--the effect, I'm sure, he was going after. And how convenient that the aliens were somehow, mysteriously repelled so easily, which was a setup for the end sequence.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Signs. I want so badly to like M. Nights movies, but this thing was so self-absorbed, desperately reaching out with innuendo and subtle messages, that I think it imploded. It just took itself so, so seriously. As far as "less is more" in the alien's stage time, no...I did not work at all--not like it worked in Jaws--the effect, I'm sure, he was going after. And how convenient that the aliens were somehow, mysteriously repelled so easily, which was a setup for the end sequence.

Why would aliens mortally harmable by water, invade a planet covered in it? Ooops, that might be a spoiler.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Why would aliens mortally harmable by water, invade a planet covered in it? Ooops, that might be a spoiler.

Maybe they want to terraform it, but then one thing I learned from the game, "Spore," is don't try to fight the Grox. Simply fly in at high altitude and terraform their planet while they wail and gnash their teeth.

LongWave

Registered
Reaction score
Suffered through 45 minutes of Everything Must Go last night before calling it quits. Will Ferrell should stick to comedies.

Oh God, that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was the kind of movie that makes me ask: If a pile of hot steamy poo like this can get through the million stages a movie goes through to get made, then I should take a crack at screenwriting.

However I did really like Stranger than Fiction, which was a little out of the comedy genre.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
End of Days. I'd forgotten what a truly dreadful movie this was, even with a smokin' hot Gabriel Byrne as Satan. :ROFL:

---

It had some good scenes....:D

Just got finished watching Touch of Evil, an oldie but a goodie. Charlton Heston as a Hispanic? Naaaa.... but the other performers were fine and when you see the bloated form of Orson Welles get out of his car...you know something bad is going to happen. A very good flick, sleazy and yet not, well ahead of its time.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Watching Heston in The Ten Commandments now. So many excellent actors in this epic. Yul Brynner especially--he always steals the show.

Speaking of Heston as a Hispanic... if you want to see glorious miscasting, watch John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror. It's 90 minutes of :Jaw:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
---

It had some good scenes....:D

Just got finished watching Touch of Evil, an oldie but a goodie. Charlton Heston as a Hispanic? Naaaa.... but the other performers were fine and when you see the bloated form of Orson Welles get out of his car...you know something bad is going to happen. A very good flick, sleazy and yet not, well ahead of its time.
Mercedes McCambridge is excellent in TOE. You just want her to say: "Lovely day for an exorcism."