Last Movie You Watched...

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Priest. Meh, good movie. great cast. entertaining but nothing OMGish about it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Horror of the Zombies (AKA The Ghostly Galleon): Soooo dreadful. Spanish film from the 70s(?). Bad dubbing over bad acting. Women running around in tiny bikinis. Evil zombie monks who look like life-sized animatronic props from Spirit Halloween stores. :Thumbs:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The unholy hot mess that is "Smurfs".

My eight year old LOVES this movie. Children shouldn't be allowed to treat parents like this.

It's a generational stuff. I mean, I remember I would watch Space Jamover and over and over and over. Then I saw it as an adult and asked mom to forgive me doing that to her.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
John Carter

I thought it had some pacing issues, but nonetheless a quite enjoyable film. This is the kind of film future geeks will grow up watching and referencing as an inspiration. This is the new Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
You young'uns are so quaint. Back in my day, there warn't no gadjits like them thar Vee-Cee-Arrs or Dee-Vee-Dee players.

However, we had other ways to torment our parents. I remember seeinng Disney's Cinderella in the theater. The only tie-in was a couple of 45RPM records with two songs from the movie. Which I played over and over and over... I'm not sure what's worse: an entire movie on the living room TV on repeat, or two songs in an endless loop.

And kids wonder why their parents can be short-tempered.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You young'uns are so quaint. Back in my day, there warn't no gadjits like them thar Vee-Cee-Arrs or Dee-Vee-Dee players.

However, we had other ways to torment our parents. I remember seeinng Disney's Cinderella in the theater. The only tie-in was a couple of 45RPM records with two songs from the movie. Which I played over and over and over... I'm not sure what's worse: an entire movie on the living room TV on repeat, or two songs in an endless loop.

And kids wonder why their parents can be short-tempered.

For my early childhood I mostly had hand-downs from mom's and her sibling's childhood. Among them there was an old-school record of Alvin and the Chipmunks. You can figure out the rest...

msfowle

Mom, Wife & Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
msfowle.wordpress.com
Sucker Punch

The effects were fun and I enjoy weird movies that have me constantly asking myself "wtf is going on?". The husband was thoroughly confused by the end, but I was surprised he actually watched it with me. What man would refuse his wife's argument of "It's hot chicks in school uniforms with guns and samurai swords...why wouldn't you watch it?"

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
The Hunger Games

http://korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com/2012/03/hunger-games.html

Needed a better director, and someone who can act to play Peeta, and the violence was too downplayed. Aside from that, very well made and I enjoyed it. 8 out of 10.

The violence had to be downplayed because of the younger viewers. That was something Collins said from the beginning, before they even started filming.

Watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol yesterday. I speak Russian, so it was funny to hear the actors trying to do the same. Man, the accents were B-A-D. The movie was ok, I guess. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it either.

thekingsguard

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com
Sucker Punch

The effects were fun and I enjoy weird movies that have me constantly asking myself "wtf is going on?". The husband was thoroughly confused by the end, but I was surprised he actually watched it with me. What man would refuse his wife's argument of "It's hot chicks in school uniforms with guns and samurai swords...why wouldn't you watch it?"

I enjoyed it too personally. See the extended cut though, it it a lot better.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Evil--late 1970s horror with Richard Crenna and a cast of unknowns--except for the guy who played Harcourt Fenton Mudd from ST:TOS, who plays the Devil. Almost not bad.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
'Onnachanbara'. Loosely translated, 'Samurai Bikini-clad Vampire Killer'. If you can imagine a young woman in a bikini wearing a cowboy hat, boots, and a cape, carving up zombies and vampires, then this movie is for you. Not as bad as I thought it would be, and the lead actress (formerly a model) is both beautiful and not bad in the acting department, either.

Oh, yes, and Source Code. Knew who the bomber was in the first ten minutes but it was fun seeing how Jake Gylenhall's character managed to figure it out going through the simulations umpteen times. Nice.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Sucker Punch

Just watched this, and made about the same assessment. I was scratching my head a lot as to which "reality" was the real one. (Well, apart from the obvious.) Have to say, Emily Browning is way too little and sweet-looking to pull off looking like the badass she's supposed to be; and the action scenes rather bored me. But I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.