Last Movie You Watched...

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's Make Love, from 1960, on TCM last night. A disaster on steroids, an embarrassing attempt to make a sexy musical, at a time when Hollywood musicals were dying out. Idiotic plot and blah songs. Marilyn Monroe's worst film and a total disservice to Yves Montand, who had no chance to show his true talents. For those, see his French films. Painful cameos by Milton Berle, Gene Kelly and Bing Crosby. Directed by George Cukor, who must have left his mind at home.

Last edited:

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to write something actiony and a bit silly with a hired-gun as the main character, or at least planing to do so, so I've been watching lots of John Woo as of late. "For a Better Tomorrow", "For a Better Tomorrow Part 2", and "Hard Boiled", mainly.

Yeah... project might not have a lot of realism, :p

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Hip and I just finished watching "The Trotsky," and laughed our asses off.

Canadian-made. Kid named Leon Bronstein (Trotsky's real name) is convinced he's the reincarnation of Trotsky, and sets out to unionize his high school.

Hilarity ensues.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I watched two retro movies last night.

Return of the Living Dead and Smokey and the Bandit. Two more different films you couldn't hope to find but they're both so much fun in their own way!

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
Took the wife to see 'The Vow' for Valentines Day. It was OK, not my kind of flick but the wife really liked it.
I also watched the end of 'Commando' with Arnold last night. Man, I didn't realize just how bad that film really was.

Adrian

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
In Time - In the future everyone is 25 but to keep the population down, time has replaced money. Justin Timberlake stars as a plucky everyman who blah blah blah. I've seen Gattaca and you, sir, are no Gattaca. Still, it wasn't quite as bad as you may have heard and the cars were cool.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished watching Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith, on blu-ray.
Out of all six, this one really benefited from the blu-ray HD.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mad Max. I wanted call DYFS on this movie. They put the baby in the back of their truck exactly like the dog! I kid you not.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Autumn in New York. I love Winona Ryder, but this movie is a disaster. I never, ever want to see her play another Zooey Deschanel/Natalie Portman manic-pixie. She's got a niche. She should stick with it. And Richard Gere is just too old to have any kind of chemistry with her. It's just so bad. Every line that comes out of her mouth makes me want to roll my eyes and/or strangle her.

ETA: Stopped watching that god awful movie. Watched Girl, Interrupted instead. Now, it's one of my favs. I liked it more than the book. And Angelina Jolie was actually pretty good. After Changeling, I said I'd never watch another movie in which she starred, but GI has changed my mind.

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Drive - Hollywood stunt driver moonlights as a getaway driver who has no ability to form facial expressions. Very well written and spectacularly violent in a Psycho-esque you-didn't-quite-see-what-you-think-you-saw way. Critics loved it and I thought it was good, but when he (very mild spoiler) put on the rubber mask at the end I seriously didn't notice at first. Also, from all the net.griping about the pace I was prepared for some sort of Thin Red Line[SUP]1[/SUP] sort of bait and switch, but I thought the pacing was fine. Peppy, even.

[SUP]1[/SUP] For those who never had the pleasure, Thin Red Line was marketed as a war movie but was in fact an excruciatingly boring documentary about an undergraduate philosophy seminar.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Reincarnation (Japanese horror). Director decides to make a movie reenacting a 30-year-old hotel massacre.

This won't end well[sup]TM[/sup].

Complete with creepy small child and uber-creepy possessed doll.

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I recently saw Chronicle. Thoroughly loved it.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Last night I finally saw Altered States, I thought the ideas of collective unconsciousness and states of mind and reality fascinating. But I felt that instead giving enough depth to complement the story, they were mere ornaments in a very Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde plot.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The Ring--American version. No matter how many times I watch it, that bit with the TV at the end still gives me the all-overs. Man, what a scene. Never happened in the books, by the way, but that's one instance in which cinematic style trumps adaptation faithfulness. Especially since Hideo Nakata did it first.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Jim--Ray Harryhausen FTW!

Rhoda, I agree. It takes a lot to make me jump, but Ringu did it. I think I prefer the original because of the OMGWTFBBQ ending (the lengths she went to to protect her kid = :eek:) and IMO the American version toned that down.

Last night I watched an old Hammer :)heart:) film: Twins of Evil. Peter Cushing as the uber-self-righteous witch hunter, most females exhibiting copious boobage even before they got chomped and became vamps, and delightful scenery-chewing all around.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
True Grit. The recent one. I was decidedly unimpressed after all the rave reviews about it being so much better than John Wayne's version. To me it was nothing more that a pale remake of that one down to the actor doing a whiney imitation of Strother Martin as the horse trader.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
True Grit. The recent one. I was decidedly unimpressed after all the rave reviews about it being so much better than John Wayne's version. To me it was nothing more that a pale remake of that one down to the actor doing a whiney imitation of Strother Martin as the horse trader.

I've seen both versions, and I have to say, I preferred the original with John Wayne. It had humor and John Wayne's little comedic asides were great.

Just watched Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell. Seen it many times; it never gets old.