Last Movie You Watched...

Leslie Williams

Leslie Williams
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to show the original "Psycho" in a film festival in my high school art class because it was made way back when the rating system didn't exist, and I figured today's teens could handle it.

In the years since its origin, the film people have rated it an R. I suppose it is, what'd you think?

And kids now adays are used to fast paced action, making older films seem too slow.

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
The Social Network. Fantastic.

Still think True Grit was the best film of 2010, but man was there close competition.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I tried to show the original "Psycho" in a film festival in my high school art class because it was made way back when the rating system didn't exist, and I figured today's teens could handle it.

In the years since its origin, the film people have rated it an R. I suppose it is, what'd you think?

And kids now adays are used to fast paced action, making older films seem too slow.
Ironically, horror movies are all about slow pacing. Building the suspense, which is what makes audiences jump out of their chairs and scream. Psycho could technically be an R because of the mix of rotting corpses, cross dressing and oh yeah, nice brutal stabbings. But I think it would be closer to PG-13.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
So, this week went to see Company Men. It was just OK - a movie about basically a bunch of rich bastards trying to deal with reality after the market crash, usually with disastrous results, might seem like a hard sell, and it's being marketed horribly. But Tommy Lee Jones can do no wrong, and he brings soul and class to his aging grouch caught by his growing conscience. Ben Affleck leads as a young sales pimp who sees his good life crumble, and he's growing a lot as an actor. Plus Maria Bello (*sigh*) as an ambitious young shark, but there's also Kevin Costner attempting a Boston accent. Don't quit your day job, Kevin.
I wish it had a better story, but what a cast. Worth a spot on your queue.

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
The Expendables...spent most of that time on the laptop instead of watching it.

RED....will second that it is totally enjoyable. Loved Bruce Willis & Helen Mirren's characters.

Triphi

Registered
Reaction score
New here! **waves***

I just made my husband watch one of my favorite old movies, The Shop Around the Corner. Jimmy Stewart is awesome. It's the movie You've Got Mail was based on, but it's so much better.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Departed. Finally! Pretty good movie. :)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Kung Fu Panda twice in a row, followed by Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

I love Tigress! She is the awesomeness of the movie.
I want more focus on the Furious five in the next movie.

Last edited:

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I have been watching a bunch of movies every day for the last couple weeks, but the last one I watched was Buried. Ho. ly. Shit. It was amazing. I haven't been physically moved by a movie in a while. Excellent filmmaking.

Red - Totally enjoyable.

Third. I loved it.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Watched Lesbian Vampire Killers again last night. Very silly, but it makes me laugh. Which probably says something about me.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
The Town with Ben Affleck

I enjoyed it

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Third. I loved it.

Fourth. (Or maybe fifth, I lost track.) RED was hilarious. I got it off Netflix, but I am so going to buy a copy. Aside from the funny which it brought in truckloads, I thought the writing was very skillful. They sort of wove the backstory of these particular characters in with a lot of generic spy movie tropes. Well done, IMO. I got the feeling that I knew the characters really well without actually knowing them really well.

Good solid A on this one, highly recommended.

Autumn. Bad zombie film.

Any idea if this was the same Autumn that was self-published by a guy named David Moody? I originally read it on my PDA, but I've seen it show up in book stores lately. I didn't think it was a spectacular book, but I did finish it. Interesting.

Last edited: