Last Movie You Watched...

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Species. B-movie horror that holds up well, though the last third or so of the film is nonsense.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
The Good Shepherd.

eeeek! This movie is TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long!!!!!!
Kept waiting for something to happen...and waiting...and waiting...ugh.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Brothers. Given the cast and subject matter, I expected a more compelling movie. The only people in it who were remotely interesting were the two daughters and the three carpenter buddies.

And if one more person looked at Natalie Portman's character and said she's so pretty, I was going to throw something at my TV.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Inception - Eight gallons of awesome in a six gallon bucket. If it's not too late, I'd recommend you avoid trailers before seeing it. I had no idea what it was about and it blew me away.

CharmedMethod

Registered
Reaction score
Inception!! I loved that movie, and it was surely worth the 2 hours and 20 minutes last night when I saw it, and I loved how it was amazing and psychologically mind-blowing, plus epic! It's interseting how you can go into a dream, and then dream within a dream, and make so much happen within those periods of dreaming, and being in a variety of realities at the same time. What's also amazing, was that it wasn't based off a book or anything, finally an live-action movie that isn't based off a book!

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Red Cliff with the Chinese language/English subtitles. Pretty darn good, although at times obviously fictional.
The most impressive soundtrack I've heard in a very long time. The River of no Return is simply beautiful.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh that was always my favourite part too! I watched the BFG the other day. I love that movie. I think they should make a non-animated re-make though.

The one I know isn't animated, so you've got me there. Jasen Fisher, Mai Zetterling, Anjelica Huston, Rowan Atkinson?

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Aliens.
Meh.
We thought it was the 1st of the 'series'. We were wrong. Original on the way from Netflix. *rubs hands together*

ALIEN is wonderfully made. (This really isn't a spoiler, but: The part where they enter the alien-looking vessel was a scaled down model. They used children (including the director, Ridley Scott's daughter). Previous to this, the adult cast complained that they couldn't breathe. When the kids started passing out, he had that changed.) You'll love it. Different feel from Aliens.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
We saw Despicable Me yesterday. It was cute, but I was expecting something much funnier. Laughed much harder at Toy Story 3.

A week ago, we saw Ran in a theater. I'd also seen it via DVD, so it was an incredible experience. No special effects - Kurosawa put together those armies, built and torched a tower with his actors right there, etc. If anything, I like the twists he gives to the King Lear story better than the Shakespeare original.

(While I'm at it, I highly recommend Throne of Blood for any Shakespeare or Kurosawa fans. This is his adaptation of the Macbeth story.)

I am really looking forward to Inception, but we want to wait until we have the time to drive somewhere showing it in IMAX format. This sounds like one of those movies I will have to see more than once, like Momento.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
ALIEN is wonderfully made. (This really isn't a spoiler, but: The part where they enter the alien-looking vessel was a scaled down model. They used children (including the director, Ridley Scott's daughter). Previous to this, the adult cast complained that they couldn't breathe. When the kids started passing out, he had that changed.) You'll love it. Different feel from Aliens.

In the first handful of minutes that we were watching Aliens...I knew something was off.
Googled & realized ALIEN (singular) was the one I'd wanted to share with daughters (they're now Preditor fans...I'm so proud), the others that followed were...well...a bit ridiculous. So, original on the way.
In the meantime, we're having a Harry Potter marathon weekend...with a toss of Get Smart (that airplane bathroom scene with Steve Carell STILL has us gasping for air and reaching for fibulators!).

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Sherlock Holmes, with RDJ. (2009). I so wanted to like this movie after hearing everyone talk about how its such a true portrayal of Holmes. But honestly, I loathed it, for several reasons, but the most important one, and one that bugs me about a lot of movies lately... do we really need it to be an overbearing Special Effects spectacle? What ever happened to telling a simple mystery about some murder or theft or something and Holmes just comes in, using logic to solve the crime for Scotland Yard?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
. . .do we really need it to be an overbearing Special Effects spectacle? What ever happened to telling a simple mystery about some murder or theft or something and Holmes just comes in, using logic to solve the crime for Scotland Yard?

Isn't that exactly what happens in the film? There are some murders and Holmes solves them using logic. The whole supernatural element in it is totally disproven by Holmes which is actually a recurring theme in the books. There was nothing actually supernatural in the film. It just appeared that way at the start.

As to effects, I can only think of the ones used to augment the London city scape, and some of the action sequences.

In any event, you are allowed not to enjoy it, but I just wanted to point out that I think you might have been distracted by the modern filmmaking into thinking the film was more heightened than it was.

Anyway . . . saw Despicable Me. Very sweet. Not Pixar, but lovely. And even though it manipulated me thoroughly (yup, I found the minions adorable as I was supposed to, the youngest orphan made me go "aw", and I was moved by the predictable character arc for Gru), it still felt like a sincere film and it also made me laugh. Worth seeing in 3D because they actually have fun with it, like when it seems the rocket is going to poke your eye out when it lands.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Isn't that exactly what happens in the film? There are some murders and Holmes solves them using logic. The whole supernatural element in it is totally disproven by Holmes which is actually a recurring theme in the books. There was nothing actually supernatural in the film. It just appeared that way at the start.

As to effects, I can only think of the ones used to augment the London city scape, and some of the action sequences.

In any event, you are allowed not to enjoy it, but I just wanted to point out that I think you might have been distracted by the modern filmmaking into thinking the film was more heightened than it was.
I'm not sure if that's what happened in the film because I also found the story rather disjointed and convoluted. Not to mention, I found the resolution dissatisfying, based too much on happenstance.

And I probably was distracted by the Matrix-like effects. The repeating of the fight-scenes also annoyed me. "Here's what I'm going to do, now here's me doing it." Meh.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'm not sure if that's what happened in the film because I also found the story rather disjointed and convoluted. Not to mention, I found the resolution dissatisfying, based too much on happenstance.

And I probably was distracted by the Matrix-like effects. The repeating of the fight-scenes also annoyed me. "Here's what I'm going to do, now here's me doing it." Meh.

Fair enough (though for the record, that is what happened in the film, Holmes did solve the murders using logic and reason, having collected clues throughout the movie). Though I will say I actually quite liked the desconstruction of the fight sequences like that because it demonstrates just how quickly Holmes thinks, and also shows him using his deductive reasoning in another capacity. My concern before seeing the film was that they weren't going to show Holmes as a genius, but with the opening deconstructed fight, I realised that my fear was for naught.

But like I said before, different strokes for different folks.