Last Movie You Watched...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The restored (2010) Metropolis.
I hate you so hard right now. We're not getting it until next month.

Saw part of Gypsy with Rosalind Russell and Natalie Wood. I've always thought the tempo of the music was a hair faster than the remake with Bette Midler and Cynthia Gibb.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Iron Man 2. I liked it, but it was rather unfocused, and no where near as awesome as the first one. Still, part of the problems came, I think from preparing for the total massive awesomeness of the upcoming Avengers. The Tony and Pepper stuff was great , though. And the Black Widow/Happy action sequence rocked. Mickey Rourke and Sam Worthington were fine. Still it was missing something...

LordMoogi

Purveyor of Oddments and Fantasies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
moogi-constructivecynicism.blogspot.com
I'm trying to go to Iron Man tonight with my sister. I'm looking forward to it, even though I think they should have tried to use the Mandarin as the villain- he is Iron Man's greatest foe, after all. Still, I can see why they didn't- it's hard to use him without the embarrassing 'yellow peril' angle. I like the character, but I'd also like to see him used in a slightly more PC way than when he was first introduced in the comics.

But the last movie I actually saw was A Serious Man. Not a bad film, even though I didn't 'get' it until the very end- there really is no plot, it's all about this guy suffering. Kind of like The Big Lebowski in a way, although the humour was far more subtle and darker.

LordMoogi

Purveyor of Oddments and Fantasies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
moogi-constructivecynicism.blogspot.com
I don't know what this board's consensus is on double-posts, so I'll just do it and gauge the reaction.

Saw Iron Man 2 on Monday, and I think it was actually better than the first. And the first was one of my favourite superhero films ever. I just really, really liked it. It wasn't as good as, say, The Dark Knight, but the two films have such wildly different stories and tones that they really don't compare very well anyway. Long story short, I'm completely stoked for next year's Thor film.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Iron Man 2. Liked it. Mickey Rourke was great.
Nightmare on Elm Street. Not so much.

Ensign Redshirt

Time for an away mission!
Registered
Reaction score
My brother and I watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show last night for the first time.

It is one 'Big Lipped Alligator Moment' (That Guy with the Glasses reference). It was so crazy it was awesome. I think Tim Curry was having a blast: he was totally hamming it up the entire movie. My brother thought I had gone nuts at one point, because the point I laughed the hardest was when the wheelchair dude got pulled up the stairs via some wierd magnet or something. For some reason, it really cracked me up.

Southern Girl

Prayer in a tango
Registered
Reaction score
"Legion" and "Sherlock Holmes" - both of which I LOVED.

"Ironman", not so much.

angie828

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
The last one I watched was Avatar. It was one of the best movies I have ever seen. A 10 for sure.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A Disneyphile friend of mine forced me to watch The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch with her. Holy smokes. They were so much better than I thought! I'm gonna watch The Emperor's New Groove again, in fact. Lilo and Stitch was almost too intense for me to re-watch!

Oh, and Dumbo! Amazing damn flick.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Legion - I liked it. It's nice to know that if the apocolypse comes Paul Bettany will be there to save us. Of course, the creepiest scenes were the ones in the trailer...and damn that old lady was creepy.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Iron Man 2 - I enjoyed it. It did feel a bit more scattered/strained than the first one but overall I think it worked. The final battle felt rather anticlimactic, though.

Southern Girl

Prayer in a tango
Registered
Reaction score
Legion - I liked it. It's nice to know that if the apocolypse comes Paul Bettany will be there to save us. Of course, the creepiest scenes were the ones in the trailer...and damn that old lady was creepy.

That old lady was very creepy. As was the child. {{full body shiver}}

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Sherlock Holmes (2009). Um. Not the RDjr version. Netflix kept recommending this one to me. So I looked at their reviews. Everyone gave it One Star and said it was the most horrible movie they've ever seen. So I watched it.

You know what? It has Sherlock Holmes. It has sea monsters. Dinosaurs. And steampunk. It was fun and the acting didn't make me cringe. And although the special effects looked as bad as most Syfy-made movies, and the ending seemed a little drawn-out and over-the-top, I actually liked it and will probably watch it again sometime.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
'Robin Hood'... Russell Crowe was his usual 'Russell Crowey' self (drroool)... but... but... GAH! I haven't decided which part(s) I disliked most.

In my defense, I was distracted by Crowe in leather pants.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
The City Of Your Final Destination. Haven't watched a Merchant-Ivory film in years, and it's so nice to see them working in the modern age. It's a tender story about a young man who travels to Uruguay to write the auto-biography of a writer who has just killed himself, but first he needs the permission of his bitter widow (Laura Linney). Luckily his mistress (Charlotte Gainsbourgh) and gay brother (Anthony Hopkins, glorious!) are there to help her see the light.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Robin Hood.

Still enjoyable, even though it's a medieval war movie dipped in a revisionist politically correct sauce rather than a Robin Hood movie.
The ending came as a surprise, but then the reviews said this was set up as a prequel.

On a different level, what annoyed me was the emphasis on taxes. Because for ScriptFrenzy last month, I wrote a script of the Lady Godiva tale. If you know the legend, it's all about taxes in the Middle Ages. Too similar.

I wonder if Robin Hood will start up a craze for imagined prequels to characters from history or legend, like Julius Caesar, Napoleon, Lancelot, etc.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Last NEW movie was Iron Man 2.

Last movie was Jesse Stone: No Remorse, a TV movie.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sherlock Holmes (2009). Um. Not the RDjr version. Netflix kept recommending this one to me. So I looked at their reviews. Everyone gave it One Star and said it was the most horrible movie they've ever seen. So I watched it.

You know what? It has Sherlock Holmes. It has sea monsters. Dinosaurs. And steampunk. It was fun and the acting didn't make me cringe. And although the special effects looked as bad as most Syfy-made movies, and the ending seemed a little drawn-out and over-the-top, I actually liked it and will probably watch it again sometime.
(Homer Simpson voice) Steeeeeammmm punk. Ahhgghhghhh!