Last Movie You Watched...

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Alice in Wonderland. Terrific picture, and definitely an Oz or Narnia story set in Wonderland and the Looking Glass world.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Thank You For Smoking. I quite liked it, though I couldn't stop thinking Harvey Dent wants me to smoke.

I had just quit smoking when The Dark Knight came out, and I spent half the movie craving a cigarette for exactly that reason. :D

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Omen (new version), The Omen (original), The Omen II (we got the whole stinkin collection for dirt cheap. How could you not love these movies? Interesting differences between the new and old versions, but both stand up, imho.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Hurt Locker Spoilers -- You Have Been Warned

How so? The screenwriter was actually an embedded reporter in Iraq and he wrote from his experience.... at least that's what they said.

Well, let's see...

EOD bubbas don't go hunting for bad guys. They're not trained for that.

If they did, and they did it at night, they'd probably use the NVG mounts on their helmets for... night vision goggles, as opposed to running around in the darkness with flashlights. James was supposed to have been a Ranger, so you know, this is something he would have known.

EOD guys very likely make poor snipers, and even if Sanborn was one of the zillion guys in the Army who could shoot straight, I'd be very surprised if he'd had hands-on with the Barrett M82, which was the sniper rifle being used. Also the other Special Forces guys very likely wouldn't suffer total ball retraction once a few of their guys had been hit, and they'd be cross-trained on the Barrett's operation... so they would step up and put steel on target.

I've never known a Ranger who went into EOD. Doesn't mean it never happens, but it seemed false to me. Kind of like Rambo knowing how to fly a Bell 212 when they weren't in service in his time, and also there's the fact that SF are precluded from Aviation operations... and aviators can't quit the branch and go SF. Rangers don't have the same issues with acquiring a new MOS even though they are part of Army Special Operations Command, but a guy going EOD struck me more as fanciful plotting than anything else.

As far as the reporter who was embedded with the unit... the media constantly gets it wrong when it comes to covering the military. Either out of agenda or just incompetence, I can rarely believe what I'm being told. I watched for myself as 60 Minutes butchered a commanding general's interview by harvesting what they wanted him to say out of what he actually did say. So the premise that this product is somehow more "informed" because the reporter who generated the base material was embedded doesn't make me want to give him a pass.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE the original Omen. :)

Re: Hurt Locker [spoiler alert! rollover for text]

I don't know details about what's accurate or not, but the part where Jeremy Renner went off at night outside of camp to find the kid's family, that didn't ring at all true to me. And once Guy Pearce was offed, I knew any other cameo actor was doomed. But I liked the movie.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just saw Nine; I would have saved myself some problems simply by watching Otto e Mezzo again and listening my iPod whenever I went to pee.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, no matter how many times I see this movie, I find it unnerving and consider that Baby Jane is the most freightening character ever appear on celluloid:

baby-jane1.jpg

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Well, let's see...

EOD bubbas don't go hunting for bad guys. They're not trained for that.

If they did, and they did it at night, they'd probably use the NVG mounts on their helmets for... night vision goggles, as opposed to running around in the darkness with flashlights. James was supposed to have been a Ranger, so you know, this is something he would have known.

This was addressed in the movie by one of the team members yelling at the squad leader that it wasn't their job, but the squad leader just wanted his adrenaline fix.

EOD guys very likely make poor snipers, and even if Sanborn was one of the zillion guys in the Army who could shoot straight, I'd be very surprised if he'd had hands-on with the Barrett M82, which was the sniper rifle being used. Also the other Special Forces guys very likely wouldn't suffer total ball retraction once a few of their guys had been hit, and they'd be cross-trained on the Barrett's operation... so they would step up and put steel on target.

I disagree about the comment infering most Army types are poor shots. Most people I worked with had a markmanship badge. Hell, even I had one and I was Air Force, shooting expert isn't all that hard.

But, I do agree that, sniper training is very very distinctive and that the vast majority of all service members do not have the training nor could not be snipers. Being a sniper is equivalent to being an olympic caliber shooter, a whole nother level.

However, the vast majority of the viewing public would not know about it, they'd just assume that any army person could do it, sorta like they assume that any pilot can fly any aircraft LOL.

I've never known a Ranger who went into EOD. Doesn't mean it never happens, but it seemed false to me.

Actually, this didn't seem too far fetched for me. I've known plenty of adrenaline junkies in the military that got thier kicks getting training in ANYTHING that was cool/dangerous.

As far as it ringing false...

I know it sounds snobby, but going from Ranger to EOD would seem like a step down. However, the audience isn't really going to know that.

Overall, I liked Hurt Locker. I've learned long ago that the best way to ruin a movie is to get hung up on the facts :).

As former Air Force, I literally cringe at every single aerial battle ever fought on the big screen. The fact that hollywood simple must shoot missiles from 500 ft away makes me want to throw my popcorn at the screen. In real life, you often fire your missiles without even seeing the target since the whole point of missiles is to increase standoff distance and shoot from 20+ miles away.

Mel...

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Just went through a whole series of movies

Boondock Saints II-- no where near as good as the first one. At best, it was okay.
Meet the Morgans-- Not a bad date movie, the comedic timing/directing was just a tad off
Where the Wild Things Are--I know, I'm late, decent movie
Planet Hulk-- Not bad actually, the marvel cartoons seem actually pretty decent

Mel...

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
I last watched the kids cartoon's; The Swan Princess and Anastasia LOL. I had this insane urge to go and hire them immediately as I hadn't seen them in over ten years! It was really spontaneous...LOL, and I spent most of the time watching the first one in fits of laughter over the animation...you don't realise just how much it has progressed until you watch an older film!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer's Body. Loved it. Irreverant, and self-deprecating to a perfect degree. Fox is hot as hell (hehe), and the actress who played her best friend (sorry, can't recall her name at the moment) stole the movie. Terrific.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Precious - Very difficult to watch - Sad and Depressing :cry:

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
I just went and saw Green Zone on Thursday for my birthday. It was pretty awesome. Not OMG AMAZING YOU HAVE TO GO SEE IT RIGHT NOW good, but I'd definitely watch it more than once or twice.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Just went through a whole series of movies

Boondock Saints II-- no where near as good as the first one. At best, it was okay.

Mel...
The first one was good??? I only watch the documentary, and it was so cringey that I was afraid to watch the film for fear my teeth would never unclench.

I just watched a film noir with Edward G Robinson that was so good, and then the raaaahhhtid ending was that it was all a dream!!! WTF? Nearly threw my tea at the screen. What a stupid way to ruin a great film. I sulked for hours.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Superb picture--highly recommended.

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
Nightmare Castle (1965). I've been working my way through a box set of old horror pictures. I can't tell if these movies were really awesome in their day and just didn't hold up well to today's standards or if they were crap back then too. Nightmare Castle was the least bad of the lot so far.