Last Movie You Watched...

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy again tonight. I love the theme song... full on Broadway song and dance...
I remember my sister showing me that scene, and I simply had to see more after that.

Watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall and The Brothers Bloom last night.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was not so much funny as it was terribly depressing at first with Jason Segel taking the whole, "I'm heartbroken," bit too far, but it bettered as the film went on and really hit its stride there at the end where things came together nicely. From the battle where Peter and Sarah battled to have the loudest orgasm in adjacent rooms it was brilliant.

The Brothers Bloom, however, was brilliant all around. Not that I expected anything less of Adrien Brody and Rachel Weisz. Only drawback to the film was the narrator, strangely enough. He just didn't sit well with me for some reason. But the film oozed charm. And I was more than glad to see Brody in a proper film and role again after The Pianist; I had perused his filmography on Wikipedia time and time again, but found nothing of interest until The Brothers Bloom. Weisz getting to show her acting chops outside of The Mummy series was a rather nice sight, too.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The Brothers Bloom, however, was brilliant all around. Not that I expected anything less of Adrien Brody and Rachel Weisz. Only drawback to the film was the narrator, strangely enough. He just didn't sit well with me for some reason. But the film oozed charm. And I was more than glad to see Brody in a proper film and role again after The Pianist; I had perused his filmography on Wikipedia time and time again, but found nothing of interest until The Brothers Bloom. Weisz getting to show her acting chops outside of The Mummy series was a rather nice sight, too.

How did it compare to Brick? Better, the same?

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
Better than Brick. Brick felt to me like a director trying to find his comfort zone, and The Brothers Bloom the payout of that comfort. And I have even bigger expectations for Rian Johnson's next film, Looper. He's definitely put himself on my radar as far as directors are concerned.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
The Ruins.

Weak horror movie, but the lead actor was the guy from 'In the valley of Elah' who also played the lead in Paul Haggis' Irish gangster TV series.

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
Better than Brick. Brick felt to me like a director trying to find his comfort zone, and The Brothers Bloom the payout of that comfort. And I have even bigger expectations for Rian Johnson's next film, Looper. He's definitely put himself on my radar as far as directors are concerned.

Now I have to see it. I liked Brick quite a bit.

I need my Netflix back.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Adaptation on TV last night - It was actually better than I expected.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Fighting -- better than I expected, but not quite good. Loved the soundtrack and good fight scenes. The drama bits tended to drag. <shrug> I feel like I got my Netflix worth out of it.

childeroland

Registered
Reaction score
The Castle of Cagliostro.

7th Voyage of Sinbad is the best of those films except maybe The Golden Voyage.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Adventureland

Good movie. Expected funnier. Seems like it's a throwback to these type of teen movies in the mid to late 90s...like Dazed and Confused or American Pie.

Give it a 7.8 out of 10.

childeroland

Registered
Reaction score
Sorority Row. Hot, mean girls, arbitrary plot, a villain pretty much out of nowhere, fairly cheesy fun till you realize the killer reveal will be worse than you'd feared.

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
Doubt

Worth it for the performances of Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep alone.

But what I enjoyed most were the little artistic flourishes you see in the way it was filmed. For example (spoilers):

During Flynn's sermon on doubt at the beginning, he hones in on specific situations. When he says, "No one knows I'm sick," it cuts to an elderly woman, eyes downcast. And when he says, "No one knows I've lost my last true friend," it cuts to a man. Finally, when he says, "No one knows I've done something wrong," the camera remains focused on Flynn. Perfectly understated foreshadowing.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
"The Scarlet Pimpernel," the 1935 (?) verison with Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Wall-E. It was sweet, but I didn't really like it. I feel like they skimped on things like character development, subplots, and all that other stuff that makes a movie great. Pretty graphics don't make up for all that, ya know. And the fact that the robot made a Mac sound when it booted up reminded me of the unholy association between Pixar and Mr. Jobs.

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Easy Rider for the first time. It is amazing what ignorant, backwards people get away with.

WordLover

Loki incarnate
Registered
Reaction score
The Notebook. Absolute crapola! My niece can write better and she is six.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I saw State of Play on Tuesday and it was just ok. It passed the time which is all I wanted.

I managed to watch the entirety of Watchmen extended cut Monday.

WordLover

Loki incarnate
Registered
Reaction score
I saw State of Play on Tuesday and it was just ok. It passed the time which is all I wanted.
I saw it last night and was bored with it. I guess the story is that a girl working for a homeland security firm was killed because she knew too much and the congressman was friends with the one who killed her and...zzzzzzzzz

terrylynn

ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylynnjohnson.com
went to see inglorious bastards. had to - brad pitt of course.
better than kill bill. similar to pulp fiction.
quite enjoyed it.
brad was halarious and some very memorable characters.