The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 471 of 471 FirstFirst ... 221371396421446461465466467468469470471
Results 11,751 to 11,769 of 11769

Thread: Last Movie You Watched...

Shiny new cover! AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Of Unknown Origin. (1983) Peter Weller (so young!) fights a giant rat in his NYC apartment.

Alas, either he couldn't carry the movie or the script was dull (it was), because we FF'd through at least half. Disappointing. PLUS the rat slaughters a pet cat. Avoid this one.

practical experience, FTW
    The Hurt Locker (FINALLY)

It was all right, although maybe its a cultural thing but I didn't get all the hullabaloo about it. I don't see how it won an Oscar (then again, I don't remember what movies it went against other than Avatar but that didn't deserve the Best Picture Oscar either) considering the pace is all over the place and eventually it becomes very formulaic and predictable.

I wasn't bored by it, by any means. But its... rather forgettable, I guess. Still, I don't regret watching it.

Follow me on Twitter

Independence Day 2.

It was okay, but not how I would have written it. Felt the scale was too big to relate, not helped by nonsensical physics. Not sure it earned a second viewing.

Lost In the Superunknown nighttimer's Avatar
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2: Not as fresh as the first one, but the characters get fleshed out a little better. And Baby Groot gets all the feels. A solid "B." But I'd go back to see Logan before I would this.
    The new racism: Racism without ‘racists.’ Today, racial segregation and division often result from habits, policies, and institutions that are not explicitly designed to discriminate. Contrary to popular belief, discrimination or segregation do not require animus. They thrive even in the absence of prejudice or ill will. It’s common to have racism without racists.
    Eduardo Bonilla-Silva

Watch This Space

practical experience, FTW benbenberi's Avatar
    ET, with the NY Phil playing the score. It's a long time since I saw that movie, but darn, it's still good! Full of feels. And added bonus time-capsule-of-1982-suburbia. Today you'd never let the kids do almost any of the things that were normal back then!

(But you know -- a live orchestra playing the soundtrack sounds exactly like ... the soundtrack. Not a significant enhancement at all. This is apparently a thing the NY Phil does now, I assume because it brings new people into the hall, but IMO it's not really worth the expense. I'd rather hear them play proper orchestral repertoire, and watch the movie on a nice big TV.)

Quote Originally Posted by benbenberi View Post
    ET, with the NY Phil playing the score. It's a long time since I saw that movie, but darn, it's still good! Full of feels. And added bonus time-capsule-of-1982-suburbia. Today you'd never let the kids do almost any of the things that were normal back then!

(But you know -- a live orchestra playing the soundtrack sounds exactly like ... the soundtrack. Not a significant enhancement at all. This is apparently a thing the NY Phil does now, I assume because it brings new people into the hall, but IMO it's not really worth the expense. I'd rather hear them play proper orchestral repertoire, and watch the movie on a nice big TV.)
    were you watching the 35th anni-marathon yesterday? SyFy played it all day. i must have watched almost each time...LOL

then after I watched a netflix dvd: La Femme Nikita. and i like Point of No Return with Fonda WAY WAY WAY better.

I find ur lack of faith disturbing mellymel's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
    Calla Lily, I FINALLY got around to seeing Troll Hunter last night. I LOVED it. Such a fun movie. And OMG I want to go to Norway! So beautiful!!!
    "The good thing about telling the truth is that there's nothing to remember."--John Ford Noonan (playwright)
    "Falling on your face is still moving forward."--Ron Maranian (comedian)

Find me on Twitter!: melksan

I find ur lack of faith disturbing mellymel's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
    Benbenberi, So cool to see it with Philharmonic playing live. Wow. I actually watched it on the Syfy network which has been playing it on repeat the entire weekend for the 35th anniversary. Such a great movie in every single way. And I still cry EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I must have seen that movie 30 times and I cannot watch it without becoming a sobbing mess. That is the brilliance that is that movie.
    "The good thing about telling the truth is that there's nothing to remember."--John Ford Noonan (playwright)
    "Falling on your face is still moving forward."--Ron Maranian (comedian)

Find me on Twitter!: melksan

Lost but in a hurry
    Starting Out in the Evening, with Frank Langella, Lauren Ambrose, and Lilli Taylor. An aging novelist who'd had some success in his earlier years and who's been working on a new novel for the past ten years is approached by grad student, Ambrose to be the subject of her Master's Thesis. Langella's childless, unmarried 40ish daughter played by Taylor, who'd been neglected by her father as a child while he'd been locked away in his room, is struggling with questions of parenthood while her one living relative is near his end. It was good, I thought, but the best scene was, for me, the very last, when after Langella has had a stroke and she's nursing him in his Upper West Side apartment, seeing to it that he's fed and bathed and doctor-ordered rest, wakes to the sound of her dear old dad's typewriter clattering away, and as an audience we are too, as the screen goes black.

I have a huge list of films I want to watch this year. I might pop in from time to time.

Just finished watching Don Jon. It was not what I expected.

A girl has no name.

Quote Originally Posted by mellymel View Post
    Calla Lily, I FINALLY got around to seeing Troll Hunter last night. I LOVED it. Such a fun movie. And OMG I want to go to Norway! So beautiful!!!
    Now I want to rewatch it.

Sat through Rogue (Radha Mitchell, Sam Worthington). Giant croc (a là Lake Placid) chomps most of a boatload of tourists waaaay deep in Kakadu National Park (Australia). The usual suspects: Arrogant, whiny, drunk, bitchy, etc. etc. I was struck most by how much slower a non-Hollywood "giant monster" film can be. Also way fewer gallons of blood. There was dog-chomping, though, and my suspension of belief totally failed because they played it straight, as opposed to Lake Placid.

Still, worth a watch.

Suicide squad. What were they thinking.

"Man Vs." (Netflix) A Bear Grylls type of show host gets dropped off into the wilderness to film himself surviving. Interesting watch b/c the MC is unlikeable. Unfortunately ruined by a complete ripoff "twist" ending.

netflix dvd:
    New Life (don't think i got halfway thru the movie, these sappy romance movies aren't really my thing) and The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things (i rented it before, those sprouse twins really were phenomenal)

tv:
    there was a Three Ninja's marathon...ya know Kick Back, Knuckle Up.... I loved those movies so it was sure fun to watch 'em again!

Evil Legacy (Prime) A cautionary tale for movie directors, reminding them to cast genuine actors for their movies.

Lost but in a hurry
    Why Him? Had me asking, Why Me?!

Memento. Been trying to get the wife to watch it for about fifteen years and finally it came on iPlayer.

Good film.

Lost but in a hurry
    I watched Drillbit Taylor with Owen Wilson, it was even sillier than I'd expected. I knew it would be silly, I'm lookin' for silly at the moment, but I still had to fast-forward through the worst of it. If Owen Wilson is in a movie I'll at least have a look. Leslie Mann was also in this, and I'll usually watch anything she's in, too. There were three little kids in it, I have no idea of their names, but they were all very good.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The Big Lebowski, for the second time. Kept asking what it had that might translate to writing fiction and came up with

- Strong central character with very interesting supporting characters
    - Lots of surprise twists in the plot
    - Thrives off setting and period (California in the sixtees)
    - Manages to succeed even though the plot is weak by exploiting the many sub-themes: drugs, sex, decadent wealth, bowling, and overall weirdness of most of the characters.

Page 471 of 471 FirstFirst ... 221371396421446461465466467468469470471