Last Movie You Watched...

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I went to see Alien: Covenant.

I didn't like it as much I was hoping to, mainly because I wanted a little bit more build-up and characterization. But I am glad I saw it.

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
Shussho Iwai, also known as The Wolves, a yakuza film from 1971.

(WARNING: Poster contains blood)

https://illustractiongallery.com/5760-large/wolves.jpg

Really liked it. The pace was surprisingly fast (considering most japanese films tend to be on the slower side of things) and the cinematography is next to brilliant. The story is almost divided in two halfs: the first hour is more about the yakuza way of life, re-adapting after being let go early from prision, and their code of honor, while in the second hour -almost comically- the movie remembers it must have an actual plot so conspiracy happens because one person gets drunk. It should also be noted the movie is centered around two minor but historically accurate events in Japan: the death of emperor Yoshihito and the coronation (sure that's not the right term) of his son Hirohito as the new emperor -which meant pardons for almost every criminal and which sets the events of the film in motion- and the construction of the manchurian railroad (which did involve the yakuza in real life).

Surprisingly easily to follow, the movie does has some very nice somewhat realistic action scenes (which means you won't be seeing overproduced wire fu or highly stylized and choreographed moves) which I did like, considering the setting and the themes of the film. The acting is ok for what it is (lots and lots of body and face actors) and I swear I had never seen so many characters getting so drunk with so much sake before. Lots of thing in the plot happen because of sake. Not sure if it was supposed to symbolize something, :p

Having said all the possitives, the movie does take some extreme leaps of logic from time to time, and while I've read that yakuza films of this period did tend to show the yakuza as being hot-blooded and doing very stupid things, this movie takes it up a notch sometimes and you do wonder how this people managed to remain alive so long being yakuza after making such silly and unexplainable decissions.

The battles go as long as they need to be, although the last one could've done without one very hilarious obviously fake head made out of plaster in a particular scene.

Won't go into spoiler territory, but I think the ending was fine for what it was. A particular thing doesn't make much sense and comes off as mostly gratitous UNTIL you remember it was based on a thing that happened in real life. Other than that, it was ok.

Did I regret watching it? Not at all. Would I want to watch it again? Eventually, sure! I had fun.

8/10 sake cups.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hidden Figures, absolutely loved it, especially when they ran the credits at the end and showed pictures of the women the book and movie were about.

Geoffrey Fowler

Registered
Reaction score
The Matrix, for the second time.

I liked it the first time but seeing it again was a bummer; some movies just don't age well.

Geoffrey Fowler

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it was. Along with dozens of other pop songs. The Coen Brothers need a good box-office gross just to pay for all those song royalties.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Spy. Melissa McCarthy didn't hit her stride until Act Two, but she was hilarious as soon as the comedy played to her strengths. The supporting cast was stellar.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Creature Lake (Prime). Sort of Lovecraftian found footage. Minimal shakycam is its only positive. Every character needed to die within 10 minutes of the opening credits. Without f-bombs and literal toilet humor the movie would have no script. When the creature ate one of the cretins, we were treated to an extended, satisfied underwater belch. Thus the creature had the best line of the movie.

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
The Haunting, british horror film from 1963

imvROT8.jpg

It was all right for what it was, I guess. The story is based on a book by Shirley Jackson that I admit I've never read, but that now I might eventually. But you can tell it isn't your standard onventional horror movie from the 60s and that some effort actually went to the story, which is rather nice. With all that said, it is STILL a film and a story made in that era, so it has some of the tropes and cliches from it.

The movie itself shares more similarities with b-film from the 50s than anything else (say, The Brain that Wouldn't Die and The Creeping Skull, just to put an example), which aims to do horror with its atmosphere, ambience, and creepy story (for its day) rather than a huge bodycount or gore. However, unlike the examples mentioned above, The Haunting archives this and never veers too deep into cheesy territory. What frights it attempts it does so with weird camera angles, very clever (and cheap) tricks, weird shots, practical effects, reverse tracking, and great cinematography taht makes the house look much weirder and bigger than it really is. It's that type of directing where you can tell they wanted to do more than -possibly- the technology and budget could allow in those days, so they did everything else they could, and did it right.

Having said that, the movie isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Because it was a movie made in the early 60s, it does suffer from some eventually dip into actors hamming it up, and most of the plot having to be told rather than shown, and because the "narrator" is a so-called expert (character-wise) from a field that still doesn't get much respect this days, his narration can sometimes be a bit... fantastical and unrelibale.

Having said all that, I still don't regret watching it. As long as you don't take it too seriously and take it for what it is, I think you'll enjoy it too.

8/10 bendy doors.

Last edited:

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
Eraserhead again, still seems as if I have entered one of my patented abysmally quivering dreamscapes... I sympathize with ol' haystack skull even if I can't quite comprehend why.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Doctor Strange, finally. I must not be the right audience. All the (admittedly spectacular) FX bored me. Pretty CGI is not enough. The best parts for Mr Lily and me were the few moments of banter and sarcasm, the actual emotion, and yes, the cloak with a mind of its own. We had to pause it and when we saw there were 33 mins left, we groaned.

:( Disappointed. We wanted to love it.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Doctor Strange, finally. I must not be the right audience. All the (admittedly spectacular) FX bored me. Pretty CGI is not enough. The best parts for Mr Lily and me were the few moments of banter and sarcasm, the actual emotion, and yes, the cloak with a mind of its own. We had to pause it and when we saw there were 33 mins left, we groaned.

:( Disappointed. We wanted to love it.

I think Doctor Strange was really a 3D theater movie; it likely lost a lot of "wow" in 2D and on a TV screen, no matter the size. (TBH, there wasn't a whole lot spectacular about it other than the FX; the story was serviceable but kinda standard fare, and while Cumberbatch did a good job as Strange, his American accent tended to waver.)

As for me, the last movie I saw was the Rifftrax version of 1977's Day of the Animals, an eco-horror flick starring Leslie Nelson and a host of other largely-expendable people. Depleted ozone leads to dangerous levels of UV radiation, which causes animals in high altitudes to go berserk and plan coordinated attacks on people ('cause UV radiation works like that.) Lots of stock footage and trained animals, and lots of people doing stupid things in survival situations, leading to lots of lousy fight choreography and FX (including a hilarious scene of vultures carrying a woman over a cliff), plus the ending is both abrupt and bland (spoiler alert - suddenly the ozone repairs itself, but all the animals just die, so that's over with) but the riffers do a pretty good job making it fun.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Brightdreamer, the FX to us looked like they copied everything from Inception, which worked (also for us) because of the plot and acting.

I've never seen a bad Rifftrax. They've done movies I had to turn off because I couldn't sit through one more minute of them, but the guys were still funny.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Brightdreamer, the FX to us looked like they copied everything from Inception, which worked (also for us) because of the plot and acting.

I've never seen a bad Rifftrax. They've done movies I had to turn off because I couldn't sit through one more minute of them, but the guys were still funny.

They did definitely "borrow" from Inception, but added the kaleidoscopic twisting and fractal-like reflecting, which gave it an extra twist of surreality. (And I quite enjoyed Inception, myself.)

As for Rifftrax, there are a few movies I can't sit through a second time, even with them (like a few MST3K titles - will not even try a second viewing of Starfighters, The Castle of Fu Manchu, or the motorcycle films which had a very icky vibe to them), but they're pretty consistently funny. The trio still have excellent comedy chemistry. I also wish they'd release some more with "the girls," Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl, as they also have great chemistry.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Manos is a movie I won't watch again. It's such an...evil movie. And lately I can't rewatch Invasion USA, which I used to enjoy. :(

I haven't brought myself to spend $$ for The Room.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Girl on the Train

It was as close to the book as a movie like that can be, but the cliché holds true here, the book was so much better. There were too many things in the book that just weren't amenable to a movie.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Hidden Figures

Phenomenal movie, probably one of the best I've seen in a while!

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Life (2017). Astronauts on the international space station intercept a damaged research pod from Mars, that may contain the first evidence of life. They bring it aboard to study it. What could possibly go wrong? Not a bad movie but they tried to do Alien and it had limited success. Not bad, just not great.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I watched The Gift with Jason Bateman, Rebecca Hall, and Joel Edgerton, who also wrote and directed. I loved the slow pacing, I loved the choices made. Expected but not, nothing over the top. A bully, unreformed, gets his. Hints at why Bateman was/is a bully-of course his father treated him badly, of course he was one of the blessed kids in school, probably what? 20 years ago? Bateman plays it just right, and so does Rebecca Hall, who is slow-drip, falling out of love with him at a very brave, inopportune time, as she begins to see him for what he truly is. One that's been around for a couple years that I just discovered. If you haven't seen it, definitely would recommend a look.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Underworld: Blood Wars 6.5/10 annnd here's another bout of blood and gore, with rather too much plot and betrayals to leave space for characterization. CGI was a bit tooo obvious and "done in the dark" - I hate that, it leaves me wondering if the makers are hiding the joins. But some good fights. I like fights.

I understand a TV series is in development. Hopefully it will last longer than "Blade" and have space for longer storylines.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Underworld: Blood Wars 6.5/10 annnd here's another bout of blood and gore, with rather too much plot and betrayals to leave space for characterization. CGI was a bit tooo obvious and "done in the dark" - I hate that, it leaves me wondering if the makers are hiding the joins. But some good fights. I like fights.

I understand a TV series is in development. Hopefully it will last longer than "Blade" and have space for longer storylines.

i really dislike how they took this series. they start off with michael and selene and how they were gonna start a new race....but then michael disappears, they create this new character, give him a backstory....and kill off michael.

if they do make a series, focus on michael and selene's battles.....

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I watch bad horror as writing white noise. Today's choice from Netflix was Cabin Fever: Patient Zero.

It achieved a rare response from me. Within <10 minutes I was screaming "DIE ALL YOU ASSWIPES! DIE A FLAMING, ROTTING DEATH!"

It's that offensive and bad.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
THE QUEEN was just released on Netflix so I watched that last night. The difference between the lifestyle of the queen and the prime minister is amazing. Very enlightening.