Last Movie You Watched...

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2: Not as fresh as the first one, but the characters get fleshed out a little better. And Baby Groot gets all the feels. A solid "B." But I'd go back to see Logan before I would this.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
ET, with the NY Phil playing the score. It's a long time since I saw that movie, but darn, it's still good! Full of feels. And added bonus time-capsule-of-1982-suburbia. Today you'd never let the kids do almost any of the things that were normal back then!

(But you know -- a live orchestra playing the soundtrack sounds exactly like ... the soundtrack. Not a significant enhancement at all. This is apparently a thing the NY Phil does now, I assume because it brings new people into the hall, but IMO it's not really worth the expense. I'd rather hear them play proper orchestral repertoire, and watch the movie on a nice big TV.)

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
ET, with the NY Phil playing the score. It's a long time since I saw that movie, but darn, it's still good! Full of feels. And added bonus time-capsule-of-1982-suburbia. Today you'd never let the kids do almost any of the things that were normal back then!

(But you know -- a live orchestra playing the soundtrack sounds exactly like ... the soundtrack. Not a significant enhancement at all. This is apparently a thing the NY Phil does now, I assume because it brings new people into the hall, but IMO it's not really worth the expense. I'd rather hear them play proper orchestral repertoire, and watch the movie on a nice big TV.)

were you watching the 35th anni-marathon yesterday? SyFy played it all day. i must have watched almost each time...LOL

then after I watched a netflix dvd: La Femme Nikita. and i like Point of No Return with Fonda WAY WAY WAY better.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Calla Lily, I FINALLY got around to seeing Troll Hunter last night. I LOVED it. Such a fun movie. And OMG I want to go to Norway! So beautiful!!!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Benbenberi, So cool to see it with Philharmonic playing live. Wow. I actually watched it on the Syfy network which has been playing it on repeat the entire weekend for the 35th anniversary. Such a great movie in every single way. And I still cry EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I must have seen that movie 30 times and I cannot watch it without becoming a sobbing mess. That is the brilliance that is that movie.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Starting Out in the Evening, with Frank Langella, Lauren Ambrose, and Lilli Taylor. An aging novelist who'd had some success in his earlier years and who's been working on a new novel for the past ten years is approached by grad student, Ambrose to be the subject of her Master's Thesis. Langella's childless, unmarried 40ish daughter played by Taylor, who'd been neglected by her father as a child while he'd been locked away in his room, is struggling with questions of parenthood while her one living relative is near his end. It was good, I thought, but the best scene was, for me, the very last, when after Langella has had a stroke and she's nursing him in his Upper West Side apartment, seeing to it that he's fed and bathed and doctor-ordered rest, wakes to the sound of her dear old dad's typewriter clattering away, and as an audience we are too, as the screen goes black.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I have a huge list of films I want to watch this year. I might pop in from time to time.

Just finished watching Don Jon. It was not what I expected.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Calla Lily, I FINALLY got around to seeing Troll Hunter last night. I LOVED it. Such a fun movie. And OMG I want to go to Norway! So beautiful!!!

Now I want to rewatch it. :)

Sat through Rogue (Radha Mitchell, Sam Worthington). Giant croc (a là Lake Placid) chomps most of a boatload of tourists waaaay deep in Kakadu National Park (Australia). The usual suspects: Arrogant, whiny, drunk, bitchy, etc. etc. I was struck most by how much slower a non-Hollywood "giant monster" film can be. Also way fewer gallons of blood. There was dog-chomping, though, and my suspension of belief totally failed because they played it straight, as opposed to Lake Placid.

Still, worth a watch.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
"Man Vs." (Netflix) A Bear Grylls type of show host gets dropped off into the wilderness to film himself surviving. Interesting watch b/c the MC is unlikeable. Unfortunately ruined by a complete ripoff "twist" ending.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
netflix dvd:
New Life (don't think i got halfway thru the movie, these sappy romance movies aren't really my thing) and The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things (i rented it before, those sprouse twins really were phenomenal)

tv:
there was a Three Ninja's marathon...ya know Kick Back, Knuckle Up.... I loved those movies so it was sure fun to watch 'em again!

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Memento. Been trying to get the wife to watch it for about fifteen years and finally it came on iPlayer.

Good film.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I watched Drillbit Taylor with Owen Wilson, it was even sillier than I'd expected. I knew it would be silly, I'm lookin' for silly at the moment, but I still had to fast-forward through the worst of it. If Owen Wilson is in a movie I'll at least have a look. Leslie Mann was also in this, and I'll usually watch anything she's in, too. There were three little kids in it, I have no idea of their names, but they were all very good.

Geoffrey Fowler

Registered
Reaction score
The Big Lebowski, for the second time. Kept asking what it had that might translate to writing fiction and came up with

- Strong central character with very interesting supporting characters
- Lots of surprise twists in the plot
- Thrives off setting and period (California in the sixtees)
- Manages to succeed even though the plot is weak by exploiting the many sub-themes: drugs, sex, decadent wealth, bowling, and overall weirdness of most of the characters.

search

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The Dude abides... :)

I have relatives who are Dudeist Priests. Legit -- they perform weddings & everything!

(Was it really set in the sixties? It was made in the 90s & I thought it was set around then, but I may be misremembering.)

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw Malibu's Most Wanted last night. I'm embarrassed to say I enjoyed it :)

Geoffrey Fowler

Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit you are right, benbenberi. Not because of the Wikipedia article, but because I remembered there were references to the Gulf War in the movie. If it wasn't for that, it would be pretty tough believing it wasn't set in the sixtees. What it doubtless did do, though, was take viewers back to the sixtees.

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just went to see Alien:Covenant (I've been watching this one closely since it was in development). I was very pleased with it. There's a review at my Tumblr. ^_^

Also, since it's tornado season, I've been giving all my twister movies a watch, specifically Atomic Twister.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I have to admit you are right, benbenberi. Not because of the Wikipedia article, but because I remembered there were references to the Gulf War in the movie. If it wasn't for that, it would be pretty tough believing it wasn't set in the sixtees. What it doubtless did do, though, was take viewers back to the sixtees.

*Sixties*

Wasn't Hotel California on the soundtrack? Or am I thinking of another film?

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Suicide Squad, terrible story filled with plotholes. So many lines were also incredibly cringe. Disappointing.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Dirty Dancing...the remake. absolutely without a doubt horrible what they did to this movie. Twitter-universe agrees with me. All those Actors/Actresses should be hit with a frying pan for signing up for this.... it's like NO ONE that worked on this movie really watched the original. this remake makes Havana Nights just that much awesomer!