Last Movie You Watched...

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
Annabelle: Creation. It was all right. Made me shiver a few times, at least.

Still doesn't come within the same fricking stratosphere as The Conjuring, though.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Last Slumber Party (Rifftrax version, Prime). It's rather impossible to describe how bad this movie is. Like Birdemic, only with college girls/guys pretending to be lighthearted, cussing a LOT, and not acting. Really really not acting. Rifftrax is the only possible way to watch it.

airandarkness

Registered
Reaction score
Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Well, I saw the last half of it anyway, on TV. Didn't feel particularly compelled to see the first half. In the theater, last thing I saw was Spiderman: Homecoming, which I would like to see again.

Mad Broom

Registered
Reaction score
Wet Hot American Summer. I was pretty confused part of the time because there were so many characters doing so many different things at once, but it was pretty funny.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Sleight (2017)
I wasn't expecting much from this but was pleasantly surprised. Recommended.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Ghost in the Shell - 3.5/10

Scarlett Johansson must be the shortest terminator I've ever seen. What's with that stripping naked and going invisible? Nice visuals, but predictable story.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Ghost in the Shell - 3.5/10

Scarlett Johansson must be the shortest terminator I've ever seen. What's with that stripping naked and going invisible? Nice visuals, but predictable story.

check out the anime.....

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
I watched The Way We Were yesterday. I found Katie irritating; Hubbell is perfect.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had The Accountant on DVR during a HBO preview a few months ago and we fired it up and had a look.

Not bad. Ben Affleck is not an emotive actor, so he's perfect to play a brilliant, but socially awkward savant. Anna Kendrick, Jon Berenthal, J.K. Simmons and John Lithgow are all here too and the film keeps drawing you in even in the quiet, dialogue-free scenes.

I enjoyed The Accountant as a one-off, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see the sequel I didn't ask for but will be getting anyway.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Contracted...An actually vivid look at how stupid people would be in a zombie apocalypse

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
It Follows.

One of those rare horror flicks that feature almost no jump scares and still manage to terrify the hell out of you.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
It Follows.

One of those rare horror flicks that feature almost no jump scares and still manage to terrify the hell out of you.

to me...it was more annoying and yeah maybe a bit scary....but having to keep moving to stay ahead of whatever was after you, unless you could pass it off....would get annoying, wouldn't it?
tidbit...this was supposed to take place in Detroit...(can't remember where...but yeah hometown!)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The Godfather.

Still one of the greatest movies ever (though Godfather Part 2 is better).

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
to me...it was more annoying and yeah maybe a bit scary....but having to keep moving to stay ahead of whatever was after you, unless you could pass it off....would get annoying, wouldn't it?
tidbit...this was supposed to take place in Detroit...(can't remember where...but yeah hometown!)

Not to mention the diseases. After a while, it wouldn't just be a curse you'd be passing on.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Death Note: streaming Netflix

Occult theme, more drama than horror, minimal gore, non-jumpy, minimal foul language if any, no nudity that I recall, good script where the only possible major plot hole is arguably a twist and not a hole, very well acted, good choice of music and volume and cinematography. It's a good movie all around for everyone involved in making it with enough of a love angle that it could even be a date movie or just watching it alone with a bowl of popcorn. I think some of the teenage actors will definitely be on the rise in movie stardom. there are even a few Easter eggs.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Castle in the Sky - Gkids Filmfest.

They're doing a Miyzaki movie the last weekend of every month through November.

I legit fell asleep in this one. I've seen it before and I remember liking it, but somehow, it lost me in the middle and I dozed off.

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
LotR: Return of the King! It was my first time watching these movies and they were amazing.

Although I haven't actually read the LotR series, I've read The Hobbit... heard mixed reviews on The Hobbit as a movie series, though...

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Death Note: streaming Netflix

Occult theme, more drama than horror, minimal gore, non-jumpy, minimal foul language if any, no nudity that I recall, good script where the only possible major plot hole is arguably a twist and not a hole, very well acted, good choice of music and volume and cinematography. It's a good movie all around for everyone involved in making it with enough of a love angle that it could even be a date movie or just watching it alone with a bowl of popcorn. I think some of the teenage actors will definitely be on the rise in movie stardom. there are even a few Easter eggs.

watched it on Friday. felt more like an 80s movie with bits of DN thrown in....LOL

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Castle in the Sky - Gkids Filmfest.

They're doing a Miyzaki movie the last weekend of every month through November.

I legit fell asleep in this one. I've seen it before and I remember liking it, but somehow, it lost me in the middle and I dozed off.

I went too! They're so good. (My Neighbor Totoro is still my favorite.) This one is very steampunk & plotty, & there were about 5 or 6 different sides in the action at one point so a little over-complicated, but it all works out in the end, and the visuals are fantastic!

Next month's Ghibli-fest movie is Nausicaa, which I've never seen.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
LotR: Return of the King! It was my first time watching these movies and they were amazing.

Although I haven't actually read the LotR series, I've read The Hobbit... heard mixed reviews on The Hobbit as a movie series, though...

If your favorite parts of the LOTR movies are the big battle scenes & the orcs, you may enjoy The Hobbit movies. If not, I'd give them a miss. (Or go look for a fan-cut -- out of the 10+ hrs of film bloat in the Hobbit trilogy I think there's a good 90 min movie struggling to get out. Maybe 2 hrs. Somebody must have made a good-parts version by now!)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

+1 to benbenberi's comments, on not bothering unless you like drawn-out fight/action scenes. Much of the bloat came from Jackson incorporating elements from The Silmarillion and other bits of the labyrinthine Middle Earth backstory and history; since you haven't read the LOTR trilogy, I'm guessing you haven't read The Silmarillion, so odds are you're not going to find much of interest in the extra material. (Though Smaug was an interesting CGI creation - even if they wyvernized him by changing the body plan from four legs to two...) There just plain wasn't three movies worth of material in the Hobbit book, unlike the LOTR trilogy, and all the beautiful FX and sweeping New Zealand vistas in the world can't make up for that. I saw the first two Hobbit movies in theaters, and learned my lesson by the last one; when a dragon lover like me starts checking her watch during the overlong chase through the dwarven caverns with the dragon, something's clearly gone wrong. I keep thinking I should watch the third movie on DVD, though, just for closure.... plus I could fast-forward through the longer battle bits.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Hobbit #3 was about 3 hrs long and contained about 20-30 min. of good stuff. It has the unforgivable flaw of making its giant climactic battle not only much too long, but largely incoherent.

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Hobbit #3 was about 3 hrs long and contained about 20-30 min. of good stuff. It has the unforgivable flaw of making its giant climactic battle not only much too long, but largely incoherent.

Ah, this is what I was afraid of--the worst parts of LotR for me where the ridiculously long battle scenes. And it sounds like those were nothing compared to what's in the hobbit... maybe I'll just reread the book.