Last Movie You Watched...

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
If your favorite parts of the LOTR movies are the big battle scenes & the orcs, you may enjoy The Hobbit movies. If not, I'd give them a miss. (Or go look for a fan-cut -- out of the 10+ hrs of film bloat in the Hobbit trilogy I think there's a good 90 min movie struggling to get out. Maybe 2 hrs. Somebody must have made a good-parts version by now!)
Ask and you shall receive, more or less.
https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/

Benny

Registered
Reaction score
Synecdoche New York, then visited the Neanderthal museum with a friend and children, "Oh God!"ing the entire day.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Bad Boys (1995). First time seeing it in a really long time. Forgot how funny it was. One of the very few Michael Bay movies I actually enjoyed...actually, now that I think about it, Bad Boys II was the only other Michael Bay movie I actually enjoyed.

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
Fences - stellar performances by Viola Davis, who won an Oscar for her role, and Denzel Washington, who should have won the Oscar for his role. The story, however, was depressing and very sad.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Sitting through the first 20 mins of the Netflix Death Note because my son told me Willem Dafoe has a blast as Ryuk. Right now I'm hating every frame of this POS, except Dafoe. He's fun. It's getting shut off in a minute and I'm rewatching the excellent anime.

ETA: Didn't make it to minute 21. Dafoe at his best can't save this.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
"What Happened to Monday?" (which was initially titled Seven Sisters, I think). I really love Noomi Rapace and she did a lot of work in this film playing seven different characters who actually felt different (even though visually speaking I had a hard time remembering which was which based on their names).

It's not really anything spectacular as far as plot goes, but it was an enjoyably tense little near-future dystopic flick.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hacksaw Ridge.

Going in Style.

AielloJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Shot Caller, with Game of Thrones Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Good movie, although a bit heavy. It's not a happy story lol, but tragic about sacrificing one self for family.

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
Best movie I've ever seen is Lone Star. And I'm 70 years old. Seen a lot of movies. It has guitar-string-tight dialog, knife-edge suspense, a hot love scene, and all the racial, ethnic, religious tension you can stand. I highly recommend it.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Once Upon a Time in America. (the first hour, at least, it was late so I saved the rest for another night.) A haunting, moody movie with a fantastic score and some gorgeous cinematography, plus occasional moments of ye old ultra violence -- it IS Sergio Leone's gangster epic, after all. There's a scene near the beginning of young Jennifer Connolly dancing ballet alone in a skylight studio while the boy-who-grows-up-to-be-Robert de Niro watches through a hole in the wall that is pure (not so pure!) visual poetry.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Via Svengoolie: Medusa vs. The Son of Hercules. I haven't laughed this much in months. Practically every scene was a hoot, and "medusa" was one of the most epically bad monsters in existence. The hero's super-special birthmark looked like it was drawn on his shoulder with a Sharpie. Svengoolie's best comment: "We had to edit this movie for time. You'll thank us." If you need a good laugh, hie thee to YouTube. Yes, it's a bad print. The entire movie is bad and hilarious and wonderfully awful.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Via Svengoolie: Medusa vs. The Son of Hercules. I haven't laughed this much in months. Practically every scene was a hoot, and "medusa" was one of the most epically bad monsters in existence. The hero's super-special birthmark looked like it was drawn on his shoulder with a Sharpie. Svengoolie's best comment: "We had to edit this movie for time. You'll thank us." If you need a good laugh, hie thee to YouTube. Yes, it's a bad print. The entire movie is bad and hilarious and wonderfully awful.

ITA - quite a hilarious romp, including how they tried to convince the audience a loose Perseus retelling was a Hercules movie with that lame voiceover at the beginning... The FX weren't that bad for a cruddy movie, though; liked the dragon for what it was (at least, until we saw its legs... dear gods, it should've stayed in the water...), and while the Medusa looked like a triffid on a bad hair day, it was at least an original take on the monster.

Have you seen Rifftrax take on another film in the series, Sons of Hercules: Land of Darkness? If not, do...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Oh my, no! Heading over.

ETA: I see they have Brainiac now. Have you ever seen it? It may still be on Netflix. It is all kinds of awful! I've watched it several times.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I loved this movie! Took me back to the weekends just after we'd gotten cable (we were literally the first on the block to get it, back in 1972). We were able to pick up channels 32 and 44 out of Chicago, two independent channels that had various versions of Creature Feature on the weekend. Thanks to them, I also discovered the enchanted world of Godzilla and other kaiju movies.