• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Little Moose Press / Cedar Vista Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tika

Old kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thistlewoodpubllishing.com
:rant: I am in total shock. I used to belong to another writer's forum (which I will probably NEVER go to again. I love AW!! I went to this old site today and left totally disgusted.

I was reading at a warning that one of the members had posted to warn other writers against Little Moose Publishing. Post below:

"This company performs book shepherding services and is for the rich and famous. I published my book: XXXXXXXXX with them.

They charged me a monthly fee of US $ 1500 to manage edits, layout, coverdesign, ISBN and whatever else is required to come up with the
ultimate product: your book.

$ 50 000 later, I only had 500 books, no marketing and a publisher who asks bookbuyers to leave their credit card # and address on her answering machine.

This company performs a hostile Hollywood style take-over of your manuscript and then you hooked. Whatever you do, stay away from them. They may work for those who have excess cash and are more concerned with the vanity of being and author than actual sales of a book. I was suckered in and feel really stupid for having fallen for them. I have since cut my ties with them and started all over again."

Now, here's what floored me. The ex owner/founder of this writer's forum wrote to the publisher in question!! Post below:
"I sent XXXXXX post to Ellen Reid to get her side of the story. I offered Ellen the chance to join (she mentioned their writing community here) and make her own statement regarding XXXXX allegations. At first Ellen requested that I call her or she call me. I explained to her that I do everything by email. She did send me her side of the story. When I requested to publicize this email, she declined. So at her request, I will not be sharing that email. However she has requested that I not allow XXXXX to continue to post about her or her business. She also stated, “don't force me into a situation where I have to defend myself for defamatory liable being posted on your site.”

I was just like to state that (again mentioned her writer's community) takes no responsibility for the opinions expressed here. They do not necessarily reflect our opinion, and are solely based on the experience of individual members. It also states this in our terms of service."

I feel that these communities are here to help us all; no matter what our problem is. In addition to sage advice, we should be able to freely post warnings that we have had personal experience with in order to protect others. Otherwise, what good are they???

Tika:Shrug:

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, er, what's the problem? The site owner offered the accused the chance to respond.

The original post wasn't removed (at least, not that you mention), so whose right to complain is being suppressed?

I'm moving this thread over to Bewares and Background Check, based on the reference to a specific publisher.

Glad you're here, Tika.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
The site operator did the right thing. Nothing wrong there that I can see. The publisher obviously passed up a golden opportunity to set the record straight. In refusing to comment, the publisher possibly still set the record straight because now there's no denial.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm not clear on this. It seems the OP is saying that the person who posted about her negative experiences with Little Moose Publishing will no longer be allowed to comment about them on that board. The implication is that others would be similarly prevented from negative comments. Tika, is this what you meant, and if so, Dave, would you still support the site operator's decision?

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I'm not clear on this. It seems the OP is saying that the person who posted about her negative experiences with Little Moose Publishing will no longer be allowed to comment about them on that board. The implication is that others would be similarly prevented from negative comments. Tika, is this what you meant, and if so, Dave, would you still support the site operator's decision?

I don't see such an implication at all.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read it that way, rugcat. I thought it was the publisher who told the board owner not to let the poster continue posting.

It's unclear whether the board owner acquiesced to that request, which may well be upsetting to anyone using the board.

What happened, Tika? Was the poster banned or told not to post about Little Moose? Or did the board owner just mention what Ellen had said in her reply?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
So at her request, I will not be sharing that email. However she has requested that I not allow XXXXX to continue to post about her or her business. She also stated, “don't force me into a situation where I have to defend myself for defamatory liable being posted on your site.”
This is the part I find unclear. Perhaps I'm just being dense. But the word "However" seems to indicate she is acceding to the request.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Sounded like the publisher threatened the board owner who did a quick FYI to CYA, but didn't delete the post or disallow those types of posts.

What's the big deal?

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
I must say... I don't like it when people on a forum "out" other members. I suppose in this case-- where someone was asking about the credibility of a publisher, it was fair to allow them a chance to respond.

But a big part of me thinks 'what happens on the forum should stay on the forum.'

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
MMcC, yeah.

Look, not everyone who runs a forum is comfortable with the sort of atmosphere that can develop on a Bewares kind of a thread. I can't blame 'em. It can be a big headache.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this, and my thanks to everyone involved for being levelheaded and thoughtful about the complexities.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.