I don't know about Canada, but in the US my daughter inherited money from her grandmother when she was a minor and it had to be held in trust in a fund administered and invested by the court as part of a pool of money held for minors until she was 18. As her parents, we could petition for funds to be used for her before 18 if she had a special need (e.g. medical, educational). Otherwise no one could touch it. We got statements quarterly showing the investment returns, but we could not direct the investments. She had to petition to have the money released when she was 18 and after about 3 months or bureaucratic to-ing and fro-ing the court sent her a check.