Re: CUJO... Am I the only one..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
Re: CUJO... Am I the only one..?

Who noticed that CUJO appears to be a first draft?

King starts the book with a monster in the kid's closet. His dad checks the closet, finds no monster, tells the kid goodnight. After he leaves, the closet door opens, and the monster watches the kid.

King then intros Cujo, and sets up the question: Is Cujo possessed by an evil spirit, or just rabid? Then he immediately bends over backwards to show that everything Cujo does is 100% consistent with rabies, thus obviating the evil spirit angle (which is promptly forgotten for the rest of the book).

Later, when dad finds his wife and kid gone, he searches the house for clues to their whereabouts. While looking through his son's room, the closet door opens, he steps inside, and finds himself in "the black forest." (No indication if King knows the black forest is a real place in Germany.)

His response? He looks around briefly, decides the wife and kid aren't here, and walks back out of the closet to search the rest of the house, AS IF NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY HAPPENED!!!

From that point on, there is no mention of anything supernatural in the book.

It's like King sat down to write a supernatural story, realized while writing it that no supernatural angle was necessary, dropped it, but never bothered to go back and remove it from the opening chapters.

What blows my mind is that I've never read or heard anyone else point this out.

What up with that???

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, I just remembered a funny story about this kind of thing.

Melville wrote MOBY DICK in longhand, so he can be forgiven for wanting to avoid big re-writes.

When he started MB, he thought the central character was going to be a sailor named Bulkington. He wrote several chapters with teasers of sailors saying things like, "Where's Bulkington? We can't have fun without Bulkington!"

Then, about the time the Pequod sails, Melville realized the central characters were going to be Ahab and Ishmael. Rather than go back and rewrite the opening chapters, he just had Bulkington fall overboard and drown...

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Who noticed that CUJO appears to be a first draft?

King starts the book with a monster in the kid's closet. His dad checks the closet, finds no monster, tells the kid goodnight. After he leaves, the closet door opens, and the monster watches the kid.

King then intros Cujo, and sets up the question: Is Cujo possessed by an evil spirit, or just rabid? Then he immediately bends over backwards to show that everything Cujo does is 100% consistent with rabies, thus obviating the evil spirit angle (which is promptly forgotten for the rest of the book).

Later, when dad finds his wife and kid gone, he searches the house for clues to their whereabouts. While looking through his son's room, the closet door opens, he steps inside, and finds himself in "the black forest." (No indication if King knows the black forest is a real place in Germany.)

His response? He looks around briefly, decides the wife and kid aren't here, and walks back out of the closet to search the rest of the house, AS IF NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY HAPPENED!!!

From that point on, there is no mention of anything supernatural in the book.

It's like King sat down to write a supernatural story, realized while writing it that no supernatural angle was necessary, dropped it, but never bothered to go back and remove it from the opening chapters.

What blows my mind is that I've never read or heard anyone else point this out.

What up with that???

This may (Or may not) explain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cujo

Note the drugs bit.

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the tip! I had no idea King went through a heavy drug and alcohol trip, but I guess it just shows he's no different than the rest of us.

I notice that Wiki gets it wrong by saying, "There are some hints in the story that Cujo might be possessed by Dodd and that Dodd is haunting the Trenton house. Except for these vague hints, there are no supernatural elements in the book."

Completely missing the dad's search of junior's haunted closet...

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
I was going to point out the bit about the drugs, too!

In an interview with Bill Maher, King was asked whether he believed drug use might have made some of his books better, worse, or wouldn't have made any difference at all. King responded by saying he would have done a much better job on some of his books without the drugs -- to which Maher deadpanned, "That's not quite the response I was looking for!"

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I always reasoned that there were elements of psychic ability in the family, and that the kid's 'monster' was just his mind's (psychic) way of interpeting what was going to happen. Same with the Dad, when he thinks he sees red eyes in the closet.

I don't remember the black forest business. Eh? Must go and have a look. Maybe it didn't make it into the UK version...

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
King describes his wayward journey while writing Cujo in his book "On Writing." He says he doesn't remember writing it.

Sometimes I wish I could wake up and discover I'd written entire novels without realising it.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Don't you go dissin Monkey.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I must have read an edited version of Cujo, cuz I don't remember anything about a "forest in a closet" thing in that book.

I do remember there was some suggestion in the book that the spirit of Frank Dodd (the serial killer in The Dead Zone) had somehow possessed the rabid dog and had contributed to its viciousness.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
The reason Stephen King doesn't remember writing CUJO is because I wrote it. Except the parts about the monster and the Black Forest. Damn lousy thief...:ROFL:

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I was going to point out the bit about the drugs, too!

In an interview with Bill Maher, King was asked whether he believed drug use might have made some of his books better, worse, or wouldn't have made any difference at all. King responded by saying he would have done a much better job on some of his books without the drugs -- to which Maher deadpanned, "That's not quite the response I was looking for!"

He should have asked a close question rather than an open one!

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
The reason Stephen King doesn't remember writing CUJO is because I wrote it. Except the parts about the monster and the Black Forest. Damn lousy thief...:ROFL:
Is that why you ran him over?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the wikipedia link. I followed over to the page on Bryan Smith (the guy who hit him with his car). I didn't know he'd died from an overdose on King's birthday. Hmmm...

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
I believe Siddow's post is better than any reply I could've come up with. Especially since I haven't had my coffee yet.

Heath

Registered
Reaction score
As a King reader, I found the beginning to be an introduction to set the tone and link it to the Dead Zone. (Besides, it's not uncommon to find King talking about something unrelated to the actual storyline...bestseller's prerogative, I guess.)

In "On Writing," he not only mentions the drug use, but I think he mentioned that he reread the novel and realized it was one of his favorites...and therefore wishes he could actually remember writing it.

First draft? Many of his books appear to be first drafts (IMHO).

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I know King also suffers from migraines. Wonder how much of that pain does he channel into his characters?

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I skipped Cujo but watched the movie. King kind of lost me during the whole drug phase. His stories just seemed to go further and further out there.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I quit smoking a couple of months ago, wonder if it will affect my writing?

I'll say one thing, you'd have to be on drugs to understand King's attempt to write a romance. Lisey's Story is garbage.

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
D'you know, I actually like Lisey's Story quite a bit. It's up there with Bag of Bones as one of my favorite King books. Then, I've never been a fan of his early stuff, so that might be why. (I hated Pet Semetary with a passion, and refuse to read Cujo for the same reason -- I hate it when kids die in horror. Kill all the sex-crazed teenagers you want, but leave the babies alone.)

Ever since I read Bag of Bones, where the main character talks about using manuscripts written years before in place of more recent work, I keep thinking King uses that method. Some of his books seem like total throwbacks to his earlier novels -- From a Buick 8 in particular.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
He lost me with 'IT'. I was on the edge of my seat all the way to the end. Seemed like he really had nothing in mind and just threw out a space spider and closed the book. Then 'Tommyknockers'. Pure trash all the way. I stopped reading for a long time then, until 'Misery' came out at the movies and I knew he'd found himself again. After that, 'Dolores Claiborne', 'The Green Mile', and 'Shawshank Redemption'. All great! But you could see the influence of the drugs again after his accident with that hospital thingy. I only saw bits and pieces on TV, but wouldn't bother with reading the book.

Yes, he's definitely as human as the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.