Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 28 12345671126 ... LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

Vomaxx

[Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

A query to Curtis Brown Ltd. (in NYC, not England) resulted in a request to read my novel and a 1-month exclusive. The agent, Nathan Bransford, said that the agent I had actually written to at Curtis Brown had declined but passed my letter on to him.

As far as I can see, Curtis Brown is a very good agency, and the fact that Mr. Bransford is not listed on any directory I consult would mean merely that he is newly-joined. It seems very appropriate that an unknown author (me) might be passed on to a junior agent. I am flattered to have a positive answer.

However, getting a request for a full read on the basis of my query letter is a new experience--four other agents requested partials, and I have not heard more from any of them yet--and I just thought I'd ask if anyone had any information on Curtis Brown and/or Mr. Bransford.

Thanks.

spywriter

manuscripts

When I queried this last time, (i am new too)I had two agents ask for the whole thing, two ask for first three, one ask for first 150 pages and one ask for first chapter. Clearly it varies from agency to agency.

All but one was a reputable agency...

callalily61

Re: manuscripts

Congrats!

(They just rejected me today. Oh, well...)

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Curtis Brown Ltd. (New York)

Does indeed seem to be a venerable agency, with Google references to going back to 1938. No web page, though. (Most agencies at this level donít.)

There is also a "Curtis Brown Ltd." in San Francisco, but I can't tell if it's a branch office or not. Anyone?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Curtis Brown Ltd vs Curtis Brown Group Ltd

Does anyone know if Curtis Brown Ltd. and Curtis Brown Group Ltd are the same literary agency or two seperate ones? I'm interested in submitting to one or the other since they both represent children's books, but I don't want to accidentally send two queries to the same agency. Curtis Brown Group Ltd is based in Europe and has an address in London. Curtis Brown Ltd. is based in New York, but I don't know if these are just seperate offices of the same overall agency.

Pretty sure they're separate. I'm in the UK and emailed the US Curtis Brown about a year ago. I'm sure they told me they work independent to one another.

They are definitely seperate. It says so on the UK website:
    http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/contact_us.html
    The World's First Epic Fantasy -- written 3000 years ago!
    Out Now:
    The Small Fortune of Dorothea Q

Website
    Facebook
    Amazon US
    Amazon UK

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Seqkat

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercat
    Does anyone know if Curtis Brown Ltd. and Curtis Brown Group Ltd are the same literary agency or two seperate ones?
    That was a great question! I was confused with that too.

I've searched on Google, and it's hard to find good info. on this agency. Does anyone know if this is a good agency? Do they make a lot of sales?

Thank you, so much!
    Last edited by Seqkat; 04-26-2006 at 10:37 PM.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Top class agency.

Do the happy dance if they show interest in your work.

QUESTION:

Did Ginger Clark change her name to Ginger Knowlton? That is how she is listed in the new Writer's Market. Is it a mistake?

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    She is still listed as attending World FantasyCon as Ginger Clark

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar
    Writermom, I'm pretty sure those are two different people (Knowlton and Clark), but I've just written to Ginger Clark to make sure. I'll get back to you as soon as she responds.

She was here a couple of months ago... for anyone who missed the Q&A: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=34123
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar
    Wow, now THAT was fast...

Dear Jenna:

This is the second time in a week this has come up--yes, there are two Gingers at Curtis Brown. We are entirely separate people. This is the first time in both of our careers where we are working in an office with another Ginger!

Thanks for asking, though.

Ginger
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

practical experience, FTW jkorzenko's Avatar
    Ginger Clark has a partial of mine. I took the risk of emailing my query, keeping it short and sweet as she hasn't decided whether or not she's going to like accepting email queries. Within a day, I had a response. We swapped a few emails about technicalities and exclusives, etc. She's very professional. The exclusive runs out next week so we'll see.

J.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Today, I submitted a query via email and heard back within an hour requesting the first chapter. We'll see.

Oh well, got turned down, but with a nice note. All in one afternoon.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just an FYI - Mr. Bransford is answering questions in our very own Ask the Agent forum, here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53863
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

I queried Nathan Bransford about two weeks ago. He requested to see a partial of my manuscript. It was rejected, but he was very nice and courteous and he assured me that I write very well and he thinks that I will get a literary agent. I'm happy about the response, even though it was a rejection slip.

Apryl

I've heard of Curtis Brown if they're the English one. They're in my Writers and Artists Yearbook and seem really good with some real big name authors. Good luck y'all!

Working In A Coal Mine... Sonarbabe's Avatar
    Nathan Bransford very nicely and very professinonally rejected me, but that's okay. What I was submitting was category, so I wasn't too surprised. I'd submit again with something else.
    The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it. ~ Leo Rosten

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
    2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.

Writing is finite,revising infinite Prawn's Avatar
    Bransford was very fast and professional. I got a rejection back on my e-mail sub in about two hours. He's on the ball.
    Ceci n'est pas un sig.

Everything is what it seems. Will Lavender's Avatar
    Nathan Bransford is one of the kindest, classiest people in this business, in my opinion.

practical experience, FTW
    How about Michele Beno? She turned up on an agent query search of mine as being an agent with CB, but I can't find much else about her.
    Last edited by NiennaC; 06-26-2007 at 04:36 AM.

practical experience, FTW
    I may be impatient, but I'm still going to bump this thread in the hopes that someone knows something about Ms. Beno.

Page 1 of 28 12345671126 ... LastLast