The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Cy Publishing (formerly Cyber Publishing)

practical experience, FTW burgy61's Avatar

Cy Publishing (formerly Cyber Publishing)

I received a email asking me to submit a short story to American Fiction. This is a new online magazine from a place called Cyberpublishing.Org. Their website doesn't give much information about them. Has anyone heard of them? I hope this is the right place for this post.

www.cyberpublishing.org
    Michael Burgenmeyer Sr.

May the whispering winds of the forest carry tranquility into your life.

www.myspace.com/burgywrites

Their web site doesn't say much.

Turn down the sound if you're looking in from the office, though.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Why did they write to you? Had you contacted them?

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Burgy61 - did they say why they were contacting you or how they got your contact details? Were they looking for reprint rights for a particular short story of yours (for example)? Were they looking to pay you for your contribution?

Appreciating that it's a new set up, the information provided on the site with regard to American Fiction left me a little confused. Specifically:

American Fiction is made up of the following sections; American Biography, Contemporary Writer, Selected Works. A writers directory and Horoscope. We Have two products for sale in American Fiction a writer's resource database and self publishing product. We also publish original selected works as printed media and audio books; there is a printed annual.
    This makes it sound that American Fiction is both the title of an on-line magazine, but is also the name of a divicion offering specific POD and database products, without any further operation being offered as to how these might work, what the costs are etc. Unlike their publication, Modern Republic, there is no publishing date for when the magazine will be available and a quick Google search hasn't turned up an existing on-line magazine of that name (although I have found references to a print magazine of that title as existing in the 1940s).

Personally, I'd advise staying away from any organisation that sends you a generic email that doesn't contain specifics as to payment, what sort of material they're looking for etc. Duotrope is the first place I go to if I'm looking for markets for my short stories.

MM

practical experience, FTW burgy61's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Why did they write to you? Had you contacted them?
    I am taking a online writing class and the instructor has a Yahoo group that I also joined. They used my Yahoo email so I think thats how they got my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
    Burgy61 - did they say why they were contacting you or how they got your contact details? Were they looking for reprint rights for a particular short story of yours (for example)? Were they looking to pay you for your contribution?

Appreciating that it's a new set up, the information provided on the site with regard to American Fiction left me a little confused. Specifically:
    MM
    Yeah I was also a little confused by the description of American Fiction. Their email said they were looking for mystery's and murder stories in particular. There was no mention of payment for the story. I also did a yahoo search and the only thing I found was the website I listed. Thanks for the tip on Duotrope I will check them out.
    Last edited by burgy61; 07-20-2007 at 08:53 PM.
    Michael Burgenmeyer Sr.

May the whispering winds of the forest carry tranquility into your life.

www.myspace.com/burgywrites

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating link: http://cypublishing.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Although the magazines continue, no sign any books materialized.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

All gone now.
    ICAO
    ---------