• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Baldi Agency (Malaga Baldi)

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
She's got a number of sales listed on her agentquery page, her publisher's marketplace page, and P&E lists her with "$."

So, seems fairly legit, but she's not in AAR which to me is a bit of a red flag.

Any info. or dealings?

Cheers,
RTH

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
Good point! I just like more info on those who aren't in AAR, since that "anti-red flag" isn't there. :)

BillJackobsen

Registered
Reaction score
Best to wonder...

...why Malaga Baldi no longer has writers like Catherine Bush, Bruce Duffy, Fenton Johnson, and Christopher Sorrentino as clients. Caveat emptor.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'd like to see more on this from Bill.

On a more general note:

Writers leave agents sometimes--if four writers have left an agent, that doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything wrong with the agent (or with the writers, for that matter). Sometimes writers find an agent who's just a better match; sometimes agents decide to focus on certain literary genres and markets and scale back on others...there are so many reasons that an agent/writer relationship can come to an end, and only a few of them reflect poorly on either party.

This is not a comment on the Malaga Baldi Agency, because I don't know anything about the agency or its relationships with its former clients. Just saying that certain writers have left the agency doesn't really tell us anything about it, though.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone query this agency recently? There's some conflicting info between PM and 1000lit regarding what she accepts. Thanks!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Barring other input, I'd go with what's on PM, since those listings are maintained by the agent/agency.

jimdubose

Registered
Reaction score
i queried a mystery to her a few days ago and recieved a request for a full hard copy yesterday. i'm sending it tomorrow (printer needs a cartridge).

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any updated info on Ms. Baldi? She kindly accepted my email query when I told her I'm based in Asia and said I could submit my partial electronically. Haven't heard back yet but its only been a week.

Rameish

Registered
Reaction score
I got an email, purportedly from Malaga Baldi, saying she's in London and in trouble; needs monetary help. The initial email seemed from her gmail ID but when I responded to ask how I can help; the reply email came from a ymail ID that neither I nor she has ever before used in any communication. I wonder whether it's really the agent Malaga Baldi in trouble or it's some scamster misusing her name. I don't know where to confirm; has anybody any idea?

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I'm sure it is a scam. Regardless of her track record with sales, I believe she has a good reputation and would never do such a thing.

In the past year alone, I've been amongst hundreds of people receiving strange emails from my teenage daughter's hotmail and yahoo accounts - stuck in London and needs money; super effective diet pills (she is super thin); online yoga course for only $200; lottery win, etc. She did not send any of them.

I would delete it and not even ask Ms Baladi about it :)

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
If my email had been hacked I'd want to know. :) I'm sure Ms. Baladi might too.

Yes, I agree. Good to alert her but not assume she had sent it, which would surely offend her if it's a scam, which I'm sure it is!

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Rameish--this is most definitely a scam. I received a letter from a Mr. Peter King of ING Direct, telling me a relative of mine had died and that I was the only beneficiary. Knowing it was a scam, I did some digging. This one was elaborate too. A Mr. Peter King does work for ING Direct, and the address they provided was correct. HOWEVER, the phone numbers and email addresses were different from what ING has on their website. I contacted the U.S. Embassy in London (Mr. John Coronodo, US. Commercial Service) to let him know. The REAL Mr. King has a reputation to protect. I suspect you ran into the same issue.

Last edited:

Rameish

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Kmarshall.
I too believe this is scam; and following the advices I received here, I have emailed Ms. Baldi, informing her of her email ID being hacked and abused in scam. Haven't yet heard back from her, though.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
I emailed her as well. In my professional life, I work on international issues for U.S. companies, hence my connection with Mr. Coronado in the UK.

gladspooky

Registered
Reaction score
Sent an e-query on 6/2/11, got an enthusiastic request for a full the same day.

Don't know much about her, but I like her list.

soccerloves101

Registered
Reaction score
Not in AAR doesn't automcatically mean there is something wrong. There are plenty of great agents who aren't in AAR for their own reasons.

gladspooky

Registered
Reaction score
Sent an e-query on 6/2/11, got an enthusiastic request for a full the same day.

Don't know much about her, but I like her list.
Got a rejection on 9/24/11, saying "ultimately it is just not for me."