AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baldi Agency (Malaga Baldi)

Baldi Agency (Malaga Baldi)

She's got a number of sales listed on her agentquery page, her publisher's marketplace page, and P&E lists her with "$."

So, seems fairly legit, but she's not in AAR which to me is a bit of a red flag.

Any info. or dealings?

Cheers,
    RTH

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Lots of reputable agents don't necessarily belong to AAR, but they follow all the practices. I haven't heard of this one; I wish I could be of more help.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Not a member of AAR isn't a red flag. It's just that being a member of AAR is an anti-red flag, if you catch my drift.

Good point! I just like more info on those who aren't in AAR, since that "anti-red flag" isn't there.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Best to wonder...

...why Malaga Baldi no longer has writers like Catherine Bush, Bruce Duffy, Fenton Johnson, and Christopher Sorrentino as clients. Caveat emptor.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Very cryptic, Bill, and not particularly helpful. Would you care to elaborate?

- Victoria

Yes, I'd like to see more on this from Bill.

On a more general note:

Writers leave agents sometimes--if four writers have left an agent, that doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything wrong with the agent (or with the writers, for that matter). Sometimes writers find an agent who's just a better match; sometimes agents decide to focus on certain literary genres and markets and scale back on others...there are so many reasons that an agent/writer relationship can come to an end, and only a few of them reflect poorly on either party.

This is not a comment on the Malaga Baldi Agency, because I don't know anything about the agency or its relationships with its former clients. Just saying that certain writers have left the agency doesn't really tell us anything about it, though.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Well, Bill? Any information to add?

practical experience, FTW
    Anyone query this agency recently? There's some conflicting info between PM and 1000lit regarding what she accepts. Thanks!
    Blood in the Stars ~ paranormal romance, Aug 2013 from Soul Mate Publishing
    My Website

“I finished my first book seventy-six years ago. I offered it to every publisher on the English-speaking earth I had ever heard of. Their refusals were unanimous: and it did not get into print until, fifty years later, publishers would publish anything that had my name on it…” ~ George Bernard Shaw

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Barring other input, I'd go with what's on PM, since those listings are maintained by the agent/agency.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

i queried a mystery to her a few days ago and recieved a request for a full hard copy yesterday. i'm sending it tomorrow (printer needs a cartridge).

Me love books much
    Anyone have any updated info on Ms. Baldi? She kindly accepted my email query when I told her I'm based in Asia and said I could submit my partial electronically. Haven't heard back yet but its only been a week.

I got an email, purportedly from Malaga Baldi, saying she's in London and in trouble; needs monetary help. The initial email seemed from her gmail ID but when I responded to ask how I can help; the reply email came from a ymail ID that neither I nor she has ever before used in any communication. I wonder whether it's really the agent Malaga Baldi in trouble or it's some scamster misusing her name. I don't know where to confirm; has anybody any idea?

practical experience, FTW Purple Rose's Avatar
    I'm sure it is a scam. Regardless of her track record with sales, I believe she has a good reputation and would never do such a thing.

In the past year alone, I've been amongst hundreds of people receiving strange emails from my teenage daughter's hotmail and yahoo accounts - stuck in London and needs money; super effective diet pills (she is super thin); online yoga course for only $200; lottery win, etc. She did not send any of them.

I would delete it and not even ask Ms Baladi about it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rose View Post

I would delete it and not even ask Ms Baladi about it :-)
    If my email had been hacked I'd want to know. I'm sure Ms. Baladi might too.
    "You're not a schmuck. You're just sort of a schmuck."-Giant Baby 2010

"Actually, I take that back. There's no 'sort of' about it."-Giant Baby 2011

practical experience, FTW Purple Rose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzle View Post
    If my email had been hacked I'd want to know. I'm sure Ms. Baladi might too.
    Yes, I agree. Good to alert her but not assume she had sent it, which would surely offend her if it's a scam, which I'm sure it is!

Thank you Twizzle and Purple rose

Rameish--this is most definitely a scam. I received a letter from a Mr. Peter King of ING Direct, telling me a relative of mine had died and that I was the only beneficiary. Knowing it was a scam, I did some digging. This one was elaborate too. A Mr. Peter King does work for ING Direct, and the address they provided was correct. HOWEVER, the phone numbers and email addresses were different from what ING has on their website. I contacted the U.S. Embassy in London (Mr. John Coronodo, US. Commercial Service) to let him know. The REAL Mr. King has a reputation to protect. I suspect you ran into the same issue.
    Last edited by Kmarshall; 04-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Thank you Kmarshall.
    I too believe this is scam; and following the advices I received here, I have emailed Ms. Baldi, informing her of her email ID being hacked and abused in scam. Haven't yet heard back from her, though.

I emailed her as well. In my professional life, I work on international issues for U.S. companies, hence my connection with Mr. Coronado in the UK.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin gladspooky's Avatar
    Sent an e-query on 6/2/11, got an enthusiastic request for a full the same day.

Don't know much about her, but I like her list.

figuring it all out soccerloves101's Avatar
    Not in AAR doesn't automcatically mean there is something wrong. There are plenty of great agents who aren't in AAR for their own reasons.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin gladspooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gladspooky View Post
    Sent an e-query on 6/2/11, got an enthusiastic request for a full the same day.

Don't know much about her, but I like her list.
    Got a rejection on 9/24/11, saying "ultimately it is just not for me."

It's only been a couple of weeks, during a busy time of year, Sit back, breathe, and write. She'll get back to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast