• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Daniel Literary Group (Greg Daniel)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I don't see sales (judging by the pub dates, the book covers on the website are books Mr. Daniel edited), which isn't surprising for an agency that opened its doors just this past April. Mr. Daniel has a solid background in Christian publishing, and appears to have the kinds of credentials a literary agent needs.

- Victoria

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Out of curiosity, how well would an editor-turned-agent be at handling areas outside of those he edited? For example, Greg Daniel seems to have spent much of his career at a christian publisher, how well might he do handling a mystery, or a romance novel, or a horror novel?

Obviously, he wouldn't have the same level of contacts for those genres, but could he still be effective?

(Of course, authors will always want to put agents who handle/specialize in their subject at the top of the list -- hopefully I don't need to say that!)

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting point, Victoria...any idea on how things go when an editor leaves a company like Thomas Nelson to be an agent? TN's a top name in Christian fiction/non-fiction.

To be more general, do a new agent's contacts at his old publishing house tend to be agreeable to work with him? Or does he tend to get shunned? I'm sure it probably varies on a case by case basis and a lot depends on the terms of the departure. It would seem, though, that Greg Daniel is a guy with a lot of good connections with a legitimate background in publishing, and with a new agency would naturally be trying to build his client list.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
It's case-by-case basis all the way down.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent experience with him?

Woodsie

I have tendencies.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.graceisforsinner.com
Yes. I just got a pass on a query I sent. My story is Christian Non-Fiction. It is a personal story about failure/grace/purpose. My project was 'not right' for their agency, but I don't regret trying.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Queried yesterday. Got a "No" back today.

Okay, this is strange. I sent him a query for my YA...twice, and I haven't heard anything...I think I might requery....it's been like a month maybe. He got back really fast on my adult book.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think they would be open to a true crime/memoir? Their new releases and sales are religious books but their site states - Daniel Literary Group specializes in nonfiction and is open to submissions in almost every popular category of such, especially if authors are recognized experts in their fields.