• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cricket Magazine / Cicada

Chamran

I picked two mag's out of Writer's Handbook 2004 ed. and submitted one short story to each. I assumed since they were listed here it was a safe bet. Was I right?

James D Macdonald

Re: Writer's Handbook

Had you actually seen copies of the magazines? (How else to tell if your stories would be the sort of thing they're looking for?)

Safe or not safe, I can't tell (safe for what?), but not your best way to make sales. Know your markets.

Chamran

The first mistake of a new author is to jump. I made the mistake and did not check them out. I put faith in the book thinking they were ok if they were in this book. No sir I've never heard of Glimmertrain or Cicada. They offered good and I submitted. The reading time is long so I haven't heard anything. But that's why I joined this site so that I may learn.

Thanks for your advice
Randy Chambers

DaveKuzminski

Glimmertrain is tough to get published in. Both are reputable and have been around for years.

Chamran

Dave & James
I thank you both. I did check the guidelines and sent appropriate material. Now it's up to my writing skills.
Thanks again
Randy Chambers

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Glimmer Train and Cicada magazines

Still alive. FYI, there is both a YA and a SF Cicada.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here about Cricket/Cicada/Carus/etc.

Their submission guidelines are here. Click on the magazine name to see the specific guidelines.

If you submit to one magazine they might decide it will be better in another. They report paying up to 25 cents per word.

The rights they obtain make me uneasy: For unpublished works "the rights vary," for previously published, they take 2nd North American rights but pay less than for previously unpublished works, and for recurring features (which is what I was hoping to have) they "purchase the material outright," and it becomes property of Carus. This makes me uneasy because if I wanted to do a book of my recurring features it seems I would not be able to.

Any experiences from AWers?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
No experience, but that would make me completely uneasy as well. Buying publishing rights is one thing for a magazine and, yes, magazines often ask for the option to include a published piece in a Best Of anthology or somesuch. But I agree with you, it sounds like they want to take a recurring feature whole so that they can have the option of publishing it as a book.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
That's disheartening to see. Cricket was one of my favorite magazines as a child. :(

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By all accounts it's still one hell of a publication credit, I just wonder what I'd be able to do with the material once they publish it.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If they buy it outright then you can't do anything more with it.

I guess the question is, would there be more prestige and money in selling the piece once and forever to Cricket for $0.25 a word, versus selling first rights to Magazine A and reprint rights to Magazine B and electronic rights to Magazine C and then reprint in your own Collection D?

It really depends on who those other markets are and how much they pay.

irenadel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
teobath.blogspot.com
Story accepted but haven't heard from them in 2 months

I got a story accepted in Spider Magazine. I got the email on October 21 and answered back the same day, accepting the terms they outlined.

But I haven't heard from them since. Since this is the first story I've ever managed to sell, I'm not really familiar with the waiting time. Is this normal? Should I send them an email to remind them I exist? They said they wanted to edit the story first and then send me the contract.

I'm just a little unsure and would like some advice.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was a little confused about the acceptance/contract thing too, because I've always been sent a contract soon after acceptance. However, of course the contract is written by them anyway so it usually locks me in and lets them off the hook if that's what works out best for them. :( So, it could be their policy is to have you send the reply to their email that says you accept their terms, which you did, and then wait for the formal stuff until it gets closer to the time it will be published. It says below that it may be a year until then...

Also, 25 cents per word?! Tasty! Congrats on snagging that. :)

http://www.cricketmag.com/32-Submission-Guidelines-for-SPIDER-magazine-for-children-ages-6-9

After Acceptance
  • Once the manuscript is edited, it will be kept on file until it is assigned to an issue. Because we work 6-8 months ahead of each issue, it can be a year or more before a manuscript is placed.

Last edited:

aperson

Registered
Reaction score
I had a story published by Cricket. They sent a minor edit and contract about 8 months later and then another 6 months passed before it was published. With the check I paid the electric bill, bought Frosted Flakes and framed the magazine. ~karen

irenadel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
teobath.blogspot.com
Thanks! Since they took a year to accept my submission, I thought that would be about how long the rest of the process would be. Just wanted to be sure... I get super paranoid that maybe I didn't write an appropriate response or something...

In my darkest fantasies they send me an email saying "Just kidding!", but that's just be going off the deep end.

Thanks for the response! It's made me feel loads better!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I had a story published by Cricket. They sent a minor edit and contract about 8 months later and then another 6 months passed before it was published. With the check I paid the electric bill, bought Frosted Flakes and framed the magazine. ~karen

My time frame with cricket was about the same, which was a little slower than most, but that's how sometimes I like having a check coming in down the road. It helps balance my budget.

newhope

Registered
Reaction score
My time frame with cricket was about the same, which was a little slower than most, but that's how sometimes I like having a check coming in down the road. It helps balance my budget.

Could you tell me exactly how long you had to wait before you got a response to your Cricket submission? I submitted a poem to them via Submittable back at the very beginning of September 2014, and I still haven't gotten a response. It's been over 6 months now, and I was wondering if I should submit again. Does the long wait indicate that my work has made it to the upper echelon for consideration? How long does Cricket usually take when it rejects a piece?

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an email address to query a submission status for Cricket Media? I submitted a short story to Spider Magazine (an imprint of Cricket Media) on 1/3/16. I haven't heard anything from them and my submission has been listed as In Progress on Submittable for almost the entire time. When I tried to query after 180 days, I discovered that they are very difficult to contact. There's no email or point person listed on the website or Submittable page. Though, according to Duotrope, they haven't sent out any notifications since May. Is this normal for them?

HELP? :Shrug:

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
They certainly make it hard to contact them. There is a vague email address but not sure how helpful it would be and you may have already found/used this [email protected]

Their usual wait time is anywhere from 3-6 months. If accepted, you might be waiting another year to it seeing publication and more time after that for payment. Payment wait times have been up to a year AFTER publication.
They are still constantly swamped with submissions, because it's about the prestige this group of magazines still commands in the kid lit Industry. It's certainly not about the money nor the loss of rights to story, poem or Illustration. They once upon a time offered better terms, with a payment each time the work was used again in various ways but now they own the work and do with it as they like, licensing it to others, no further compensation that I have heard about.
You have obviously waited far longer then 6 months, hope you hear something soon!

ePals Corporation (Canadian) still owns Cricket Media but disolved the Carus Group (which they had acquired a number of years back and which owned Cricket mags among other publications)

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Hmm. I submitted a short story to them in February and received a form rejection in March. But I was also submitting to the magazine for older readers, so maybe they have a different turnaround.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
zmethos, I imagine they don't get the same massive numbers of submissions as they do from Authors and Illustrators for their baby, toddler and pre K/Elementary aged magazines. That's Cicada?

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I submitted a short story to them in February and received a form rejection in March. But I was also submitting to the magazine for older readers, so maybe they have a different turnaround.
Thanks for responding ctripp and zmethos

When I've submitted to Cicada Magazine in the past, they've been very prompt with a two week to one month rejection. I don't want to get my hopes up that no news is good news about Spider as the last time a publication with a quick response time didn't get back to me I thought I was in for sure. When I finally queried, they apologized. It seems they put my story in the wrong queue on submittable when it should have been rejected. I guess I'll continue to wait :/

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
snip
They are still constantly swamped with submissions, because it's about the prestige this group of magazines still commands in the kid lit Industry. It's certainly not about the money nor the loss of rights to story, poem or Illustration. They once upon a time offered better terms, with a payment each time the work was used again in various ways but now they own the work and do with it as they like, licensing it to others, no further compensation that I have heard about.
You have obviously waited far longer then 6 months, hope you hear something soon!

ePals Corporation (Canadian) still owns Cricket Media but disolved the Carus Group (which they had acquired a number of years back and which owned Cricket mags among other publications)

Are you saying their contract demands ALL rights on submitted work?

'T would be unusual if that were the case.