• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lyons & Salky Law (formerly Lyons Literary) (Jonathan Lyons)

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread on Jonathan Lyons, so I figured I'd start one. I was on his blog today (lyonsliterary.blogspot.com) and noticed - for this week only - if you use his online submission form (www.lyonsliterary.com), he gaurantees a response. It's a fairly new agency (started in Jan 07), so he's probably looking to build his clientele.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Thanks for the info, rwam. I missed that change the last time a checked a couple of weeks ago when I queried him via snail mail. I haven't gotten a response yet, so I did the website submission.

Lyons ultimately passed, but he did have a prompt response as promised.

Last edited:

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I got a prompt response, too. Not the one I wanted, but at least I can cross him off my list and move on.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
I can vouch for him . . .

I'll chime in here with an enthusiastic endorsement. He's been my representation for two years now (he came up through the ranks from Curtis Brown, then to McIntosh & Otis, before starting his own firm) and he's a great agent and a good guy.

I've recommended him to writers who had multiple offers and were trying to narrow it down, based largely on (1) his unshakable faith in projects he's selling to publishers, and (2) his one-two punch as an agent/attorney. He knows where the bodies are buried in contracts, and can negotiate you a good deal in the odd places -- not only in your advance, but free copies, etcetera.

Anyway, that's a slightly biased view, I know, but I can vouch that he's for real, and he's been doing this a while.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
So I am assuming he has lots and lots of sales?

Heck Why not?

Hello... new to the forum. Missed out on the 'guarantee' week... anyone out there submit snail mail to Lyons, and (outside of the magic week) recieve a reply?

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
5 minute ejection.
wowza! fast on the draw, he is.
if only there were all like that--and
say YES I LOVE IT instead. =)

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Yep, used the submission form, maybe it didn't get through properly. This is what happens if you have a stupid provider like I do. :p

Thanks for the response.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite so sure why I find this funny, but I e-queried Jonathon Lyons about ten minutes ago, and then received an e-rejection five minutes later.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I don't know how I never realized this thread existed. Silly me. I'll add my ringing endorsement to Sunnyside's. I signed with Jonathan last May and couldn't be happier with what he's brought to the table as an agent.

I also wanted to make sure folks knew his Submissions Policy has changed. You can check out this blog post for details. http://lyonsliterary.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-query-policy.html

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Queried using the form yesterday.

Auto response in a few minutes:

"Thank you for your query. I will respond within three weeks if interested.
If you do not receive a response within three weeks then I have passed on
your project. "

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
queried today using the online form too. fingers and toes both crossed!

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I have an irrational fear of online forms. I think this whole process is bringing out the nut-case in me.