• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Scientists find way to teleport atoms, à la Star Trek

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
From news.com.au:
Scientists find way to teleport atoms on optic fibres

• Australian boffins find way to teleport atoms
  • Researcher compares it to Star Trek beaming
  • Method involves lasers, extremely cold temperatures
AUSTRALIAN physicists have discovered a method that could see atoms being teleported between Sydney and Perth and pave the way for possible Star Trek-like travel in the future.
The method involves cooling down a group of atoms and shooting lasers at them, making them "appear to disappear" before using transporting them along optic fibres at light speed to another location where they can be reconstructed.

The "simple" way of transporting atoms was developed by physicists Murray Olsen, Ashton Bradley, Simon Haine of the Australian Research Council Centre for Quantum-Atom Optics, and and Joseph Hope of ANU.

Dr Olsen told NEWS.com.au the method was very much like the Star Trek characters' favourite way to get back onto the ship.

The atoms are cooled to almost absolute zero, or -273C. At a billionth of a degree above this temperature, a quirk of physics makes all the atoms start behaving in the same way. Then the scientists zap them with two lasers. “If you cool these atoms down enough ... in a condensate, they all enter the same quantum state,” Dr Olsen said.

“When a few thousand atoms are overlapping (and you hit them with the laser beams)… they basically disappear.

“We can use an optic fibre (to transport the signal at the speed of light) into a second condensate, which could be in another room, or another building, or another state.

“We’ve got the coldest thing in the universe and the fastest speed in the universe.”
More here.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Could this explain my recent bouts of "transporter psychosis?!" :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The atoms are cooled to almost absolute zero, or -273C.
You know what, I think I'll take a shuttle craft thanks.
There's also this comment on the site:
this is great no more waiting 30mins on Pizza delivery
I think I'd rather wait the 30 minutes so my pizza arrives hot.

But I'm sure this could be used fo SOMETHING, perhaps the transportation of dry ice.