• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Totally Entwined Group / Totally Bound (formerly Total-e-bound)

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I posted that I received a contract offer on Feb. 5th. The day after I received their contract, I emailed some questions to Evidence Press about their contract. Long story short, I just received an email that "Evidence Press ... will no longer become operational." Their main focus will remain with Totally Bound and Pride Publishing.

Though I am disappointed that the potential to work together is over, I wish TEG and their authors the best.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I received the newsletter stating that they are closing Evidence Press and will be closing Finch Press to external submissions - only continuing to working with existing authors with published series.

They stated they will continue to focus heavily on their Totally Bound and Pride Publishing imprints.

RosalieStanton

Heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rosaliestanton.com
I could be remembering wrong, but I believe both those lines opened prior to the Bonnier acquisition. The newsletter indicated that the plan that was in place when they launched those lines shifted after the acquisition, which doesn't surprise me...especially if Bonnier acquired TB to fill a specific need, which is likely better represented in the TB/Pride lines.

That said, I can see why this would be troubling, but I can also see the logic from a business perspective.

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
It did sound like a business decision in that they didn't need to diversify. So, for those authors interested in TEG, their "main focus will be with romance, erotic romance and GLBTQI fiction for Totally Bound and Pride Publishing."

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
It did sound like a business decision in that they didn't need to diversify. So, for those authors interested in TEG, their "main focus will be with romance, erotic romance and GLBTQI fiction for Totally Bound and Pride Publishing."

Those lines have always been their strong suit. I wonder if the Finch line will be, in time, dissolved. I nearly went with them. And, yes, Bonnier came after those new imprints.

Brusselsprout

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing book 2 of the trilogy that Finch asked me for last summer. I have not received the author newsletter, but have picked up news via various websites/closed author loops. Book one is up for exclusive Finch website release as of next Tuesday, general release in June. I am hoping to get book 2 up and out there by the end of the summer, and book 3 by the beginning of next year.

My timeline was offered contract in July. Filled in author information and details. Contract to-ing and fro-ing. They adjusted the contract in line with the requests I made based on Society of Authors feedback - about 12-14 changes, including rights. Signed at the end of November, received artwork in January, edited extensively in Jan/Feb. Great editing experience, super editor. Now, working my way into self-promotion, e.g. building up twitter feed, Facebook, blogging etc.

I have no idea what will happen next, but I thought having the book out there would be better than not and I do wonder if Bonnier will be remotely interested in picking up any of the Finch writers.

RosalieStanton

Heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rosaliestanton.com
Evidence Press is closing immediately. Finch is still open to in-house authors with published series, according to the note. From my read of the announcement, they are going to try and develop the existing Finch authors' works and series. They also indicated they would be approaching Bonnier with select manuscripts for replacement for appropriate lines.

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
I'm currently finishing book 2 of the trilogy that Finch asked me for last summer. I have not received the author newsletter, but have picked up news via various websites/closed author loops. Book one is up for exclusive Finch website release as of next Tuesday, general release in June. I am hoping to get book 2 up and out there by the end of the summer, and book 3 by the beginning of next year.

My timeline was offered contract in July. Filled in author information and details. Contract to-ing and fro-ing. They adjusted the contract in line with the requests I made based on Society of Authors feedback - about 12-14 changes, including rights. Signed at the end of November, received artwork in January, edited extensively in Jan/Feb. Great editing experience, super editor. Now, working my way into self-promotion, e.g. building up twitter feed, Facebook, blogging etc.

I have no idea what will happen next, but I thought having the book out there would be better than not and I do wonder if Bonnier will be remotely interested in picking up any of the Finch writers.

That is such a different experience than I had! It sounds like everything went perfectly, and I hope your launch goes well! :D

All this is a total surprise! It makes my experience a lot easier to deal with, though. I'm guessing they were excited to grow Finch--and were more willing to negotiate its contracts--when they thought it was going to be a long-term thing. But if they're not going to focus on it and not going to accept new authors, then I wonder if they just... are honoring the contracts they have, but do not need to take on more people than they already have.

Brusselsprout

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks - well, book 1 is now out on the website, but I have no idea how it is doing. I just submitted Book 2 to editor (the very decent woman I worked with on Book 1) and she is recommending it for publication, and I've said how about a draft of book 3 in the trilogy for October/November, which she seemed to think would work for them. That should mean I get this trilogy done and dusted by the end of the year in terms of editorial, and then it is just a question of working the marketing.

The impression I get is that Bonnier may well absorb Finch, shedding some of us as it goes. I have no idea how long this will take. I would imagine what is holding them back is that existing books will have to be reconstructed in some way. I have to have a separate new contract for each book. It will be interesting to see if this differs or if I have to go through the same shenanigans with Soc of Authors again.

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone knows the status of Finch. Are they planning to stay open, as far as you've heard? I recently submitted an adult transgender romance to Pride Publishing, but I usually write YA, and I wanted to know if I should consider Finch for future submissions. And any information about Finch sales, and Pride Publishing sales? Lots of questions... Thanks in advance.

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone knows the status of Finch. Are they planning to stay open, as far as you've heard? I recently submitted an adult transgender romance to Pride Publishing, but I usually write YA, and I wanted to know if I should consider Finch for future submissions. And any information about Finch sales, and Pride Publishing sales? Lots of questions... Thanks in advance.
From what I've heard, sales aren't great, at all. Best thing is to email them, they are good responders.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I could swear the Finch line has been cut completely. They offered contracts on three (if memory serves) of my books My agent couldn't even get a $50 advance out of them and the rest of the contracts for each book were the same, confusing, poorly written and certainly a rights grab from our perspective. This bargaining when on for six months, dozens emails were sent back and forth. Now...this was my experience only--those who are published with them probably received much better treatment and contracts than I did. I think their mystery line went south too, but I'm not too clear on that point.

My agent attributed most of the contract snafus as the result of being written up by Brits, and course of the wordage and clauses were different in many instances. Romance is their really hot category. They survived off it alone for so long that they have proven they have a solid wedge in that market share. I can't tell if Bonnier had any positive effect on their sales and distribution I do believe Bonnier had a huge influence in cutting their. Perhaps someone can weigh in on that.

Hey, L, did Evidence press bite it? I think we both blogged about TB some time ago.

Oh, and my agent did not sub to them. I did when I saw how many bestselling romance books they had up on Amazon--I mean they whompped on the competition.

They are very enthusiastic, courteous and swift with their communication. If things had been a little different, I would have loved to join their stable of authors.

Tri

Last edited:

Marisa Chenery

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marisachenery.com
I'm published at Finch Books. Right now, they are no longer taking submissions from outside authors for this line. And they even wont accept new books from their in-house authors unless it's a book from a series that they've already published. The sales aren't great at all. My second book with them will be out for general release on the 27th, but I'm not expecting much from it sales wise. They're great people to work with, but I think Bonnier hasn't done them any favors. Bonnier were the ones who decided on what they can now accept at Finch. There are no new books in the Coming Soon section on their website, so I'm not sure how much longer they'll last.

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the replies. Any updated information on Pride Publishing in terms of sales?

dascmom

Registered
Reaction score
Hello again.
I wondered if any of you have recently submitted to Totally Entwined or Pride Publishing and roughly how long it takes to hear from this publisher regarding a decision.

Thanks!!

JustWonderin

Registered
Reaction score
I just stumbled across them today. Does anyone have anything to add?!

RosalieStanton

Heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rosaliestanton.com
I enjoy working with TEG. They have a great staff and do try to make real strides to help improve your sales. That said, I don't sell very well there, but I know authors who sell crazy-well. Then again, I have a series there that is several books deep, needs to be read in order, and is PNR (angels/demons), so not exactly a hot mover at the moment, at least from where I'm sitting.

Markiemoo

Not Throwing Away My Shot
Registered
Reaction score
S: 2/15
R:2/16

but it was a good rejection

They said they are looking for Romantic Erotica pretty much only at this point

JustWonderin

Registered
Reaction score
Well I am sorry to hear that for you but happy to hear that for me considering that's what I sent them.

Sent 2/14 and no response yet.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score

I've seen this happen more times than I can count, that when digital first publishers try to branch out into areas outside erotic romance, romance and erotica it doesn't really work.

This press has a long history in erotic romance.

Well I guess an exception would be that the Big Four, Five, Six digital first arms have maybe managed some success with mystery/thrillers.

Last edited: