• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Aspen Mountain Press

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
There's no sales data for AMP listed on the EREC site, but they do seem to have somewhat of a focus on romance and erotic romance. Can anyone comment on the absence of data?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If no one sends data, I don't have data. There are more epublishers absent from EREC's data set than represented in it.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I hope you don't mind if I ask this here first, then if the problem seems it's coming from my end, I'll ask over in the techincal section.

All the links given to Aspen take me to nothing but a blank page. I'd like to have a nose round Aspen but I can't get access to the site. It's the only one I have problems with (I can check out Samhain, Loose id, even VeinG's list of epublishers, etc). Even Jersey Chick's novel, and going via google itself, take me to a blank page.

I can't say it's down to the web filter on my computer. I've gone via net intellienge and added Aspen's address to allow access.

Can I ask if anyone else is having a problem? If no one is bar me, I'll ask over on the tech thread.

Thank you.

Fallen: seriously frustrated.

Last edited:

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I hope you don't mind if I ask this here first, then if the problem seems it's coming from my end, I'll ask over in the techincal section.

All the links given to Aspen take me to nothing but a blank page. I'd like to have a nose round Aspen but I can't get access to the site. It's the only one I have problems with (I can check out Samhain, Loose id, even VeinG's list of epublishers, etc). Even Jersey Chick's novel, and going via google itself, take me to a blank page.

I can't say it's down to the web filter on my computer. I've gone via net intellienge and added Aspen's address to allow access.

Can I ask if anyone else is having a problem? If no one is bar me, I'll ask over on the tech thread.

Thank you.

Fallen: seriously frustrated.

I have no problem seeing their site. Delete your internet cache (temp files), close the program, reopen it and try again. See if that works.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The site's okay for me, too.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Deleting temp files worked beautifully, thank you, Erin. And thank you to Bufty and Stacia too ;) I can nose now...

Last edited:

TezMillerOz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tezmilleroz.wordpress.com
Am concerned for a friend:

I just received an email from Aspen Mountain Press and they want to publish my story...

This doesn't sound bad, until you read what she later noted:

I didn't even submit to this publisher but somehow they got my story. I sent it to three other places. Is it possible one of them sent it on to them? Has anyone heard of this before?

This doesn't sound right to me, so I'm concerned. For the time being, I told my friend not to sign anything yet, and hope that she didn't just sign straight away. Any info you can share on Aspen Mountain Press would be most appreciated, please.

Thanks for everything, and have a lovely day! :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If that is really what happened (instead of a lapse of memory or something) somebody did something they shouldn't have. I would suggest that you friend just politely ask AMP where they acquired the manuscript.

TezMillerOz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, veinglory & Stacia.

Have heard back from my friend:

It's actually 'Night to Dawn', a magazine. It's in the U.S. and they are part of a larger company 'Aspen', which publishes novels. I even did a check on the woman who emailed me just to be sure and she actually posted in Writer Beware and it was a very good article on scam artists in the publishing industry.

So it's good news - the company is legitimate after all, and my friend is very pleased.

Thanks for everything, and have a lovely day! :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Okay, so for clarification, is the offer from Aspen Mountain Press? p.s. I have some work published in N2D albeit a few years back. Keep in mind that this is a respectable but very small press magazine. And I assume your friend did in fact deliberately submit to them? Because I am not clear how this really answers the question.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Strange. Barbara Custer is an AMP author. That's the only connection I can see between the two.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Barbara has books published by Aspen, but I'm not finding any formal connection between the companies. If there is, it needs to be disclosed, because if they're sharing submissions that opens a nice big can of ethical and/or legal worms.

TezMillerOz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh dear...Thanks for your research, everyone. I've passed your comments onto my friend, and have asked her to come here directly to share her experience so far, as I've shared only what she's shared to our writing group. Hopefully we can clarify this issue - good thing I'm not trying to get short fiction published; this is doing a number on me.

TezMillerOz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, I see where the confusion started now. Barbara Custer's email signature mentioned Aspen Mountain Press, but apparently that's just for Ms Custer's authorial work, rather than editorial. Seems a bit gauche to promote her writing in an editorial letter, but I have terrible manners, so I don't know for sure ;-)

Anyhoo, my friend understands that she submitted to Night to Day, and will be published by Night to Day.

And as far as I can tell, Ms Custer should probably have separate email accounts: one specifically for writing, and one for editing, and with clear-cut email signatures. But I'm a little idealistic ;-)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The only place that might 'share' submissions with AMP is Aurora Regency, the AMP historical romance imprint. The only person that would do that would be me--and that would be a redirect to the author with a heads up to the submissions editor at AMP. AMP isn't involved with any other publishing entities.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If we are talking long format books is the work being condidred by "Night to Dawn Books" rather than the magazine. In which case it might be worth cautioning your friend to check that this press will meet their bottom line expectations. This is a press that does not even have its own stand alone website and I can work out how the books are printed (Lulu?)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I've seen several reports recently of issues with releases at this press; books taking months to be put on Kindle, authors being promised their books will be on Amazon and then not being, author emails being ignored...

Just FYI. :(

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
From a publisher's standpoint you don't always want to put your books up immediately at 3rd party sites since the author and publisher both make more money on sales from their own sites.

That being said, Amazon may also be the culprit in delays in books being added to the Kindle site. I've been hearing about a lot of delays on publisher only groups regarding very slow uploading to Kindle via Amazon. The publishers don't have direct control--as far as I've heard--at Amazon.

Emails may not be getting ignored, they may be getting 'spam filtered' by their service provider. Shadowfire Press has had some issues with Yahoo and Gmail account holders emails not reaching us at so if you don't hear from any publisher--not just Aspen Mountain--then email again. It may not be their fault, it might be their hosting service. It happens.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hearing the same things as Stacia. And it's not likely a spam issue. We're talking months and months of silence despite multiple attempts to contact. The Amazon thing isn't a delay of, say, two or three or four weeks after uploading. It's months of delays despite promises the books are in the Amazon pipeline.

Even if it was a spam or filter issue, the publisher should send out a notice on their author loop to let authors know emails are bouncing, etc. When emails bounce in my EC editor's loop, she always makes sure we know there are problems and gives us alternate contacts because she's, you know, a professional.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I'm hearing the same things as Stacia. And it's not likely a spam issue. We're talking months and months of silence despite multiple attempts to contact. The Amazon thing isn't a delay of, say, two or three or four weeks after uploading. It's months of delays despite promises the books are in the Amazon pipeline.

Even if it was a spam or filter issue, the publisher should send out a notice on their author loop to let authors know emails are bouncing, etc. When emails bounce in my EC editor's loop, she always makes sure we know there are problems and gives us alternate contacts because she's, you know, a professional.

The last I heard on the publisher's list is that Amazon was taking 'months' to get things uploaded. I suspect they give priority to the big publishers rather than the smaller ones, so that one may not be their fault. I'm not making excuses for Aspen Mountain, but I have heard complaints from other publishers about Amazon being glacially slow getting books up for Kindle sales.

When we were having trouble with receiving emails from yahoo and gmail I posted the info to our closed author list and gave everyone two alternate emails to use to contact me at that time, one on gmail and one on yahoo. I don't know anything about the internal workings of Aspen Mountain as I'm not with them in any capacity. This is the first thing I'm hearing about problems there, and I wasn't aware that their email issues weren't recent. I do know authors with them and haven't heard anything negative about Aspen Mountain from them.