• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Salkind Literary Agency / Studio B Productions

anchorman

Registered
Reaction score
I know he's written several books, and I've been on his website- but I am just wondering if anyone out there has had personal experience with him

anchorman

Registered
Reaction score
The guy is really nice....and he seems like the real thing. The only problem is that my manuscript is for the CBA market...and when I look at the books they've published it is impossible to judge how many connections they have with that market.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be lots happier if they listed books that weren't written by the boss.
FWIW, after a few seconds the "Books" frame cycles through non-boss books.

Claims to have sold 4,500 books since 1995, with biggest deal being $6M.

Wow.

Patrick

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new. I actually registered because I saw this thread. I found it because someone was searching for "Salkind Literary Agency" on Google and they visited my book's website, which has the acknowledgements on it, that mention the agency. I then looked at the result page and I saw this thread was listed as number one. :)

I felt compelled to reply because Neil is my agent. I thought that I would register and share my experience. Suffice to say, I'm quite happy with Neil. I signed with him and he worked with me to tweak my proposal and offer some suggestions, before we began pitching. It took a while to get my book to an acceptable publisher, but he was persistent and, in the end, won out. The publisher I signed with has been great and the editorial team there (AMACOM) was awesome. Neil negotiated on the contract they offered, not only in the advance, but also in adding some nice provisions.

I was very pleased with the job he did and I hope I have another idea for a book at some point in the future, so that I can give him another one. I'd definitely recommend him to anyone who is looking for a non-fiction agent and have already hooked a couple of friends up with him.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
I just signed with Neil today--I was fortunate to have three (3) very interested agents, all offering contracts.

I did all my due diligence and many of you--and this site--were a great help. I feel confident I made the right decision.

I asked for some comments from his clients and here are some excerpts--if you have a NonFiction project, this might be the place:
-
----------
Neil is the man! He very recently has sent out a proposal of mine to two editors, and he has been absolutely invaluable in helping me shape and refine the thing to make it trade market friendly. Neil’s suggestions for molding my ideas and writing style have been right on the mark. He seems to understand the market and what sells well (and what doesn’t). And he is super-excited about helping authors do what they want to do.

(2)
I'm happy to recommend Neil as my agent. I've been with him since 2001. He's been instrumental in helping me grow my career. He replies to my emails and calls within the same day, if not the same hour, and he's helped to push through red tape on the agency side as well as the publisher side to make sure I'm happy.

He's very good about getting you the best deal, and he'll tell you up front what he thinks about the contract.

(3)
What I especially liked about Neil was his follow-through, attention to detail, and knowledge of the publishing industry. Several areas in which he really made a difference was in writing a book proposal that sells and negotiations.

(4)
He secured an advance for my book that was far beyond what I expected, and did it with St. Martin's Press -- a publisher that I had no idea I had a chance with.
-----

What more could any of us ask!

Mayusan

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked, anyone know about this agency?

I wrote a book that I am very excited about... and I really think with a little TLC, it could do a good job.

I tried getting an agent interested in it since I have heard you shouldn't approach a publisher yourself... however, I had no takers after like, 30 tries.

I gave up for a short time, and decided to try again. A few sites recommended this agent, Neil Salkind who is a part of Studio B. So I emailed his agency and a few others. That night as I was preparing to look through my Guide to literary agents, 2008 book... I got a personal call from Mr. Salkind himself.

He said he was very interested in my work, we talked about the theory of the book and he gave me advice on how to take it one step further to improve it, and said he'd like to represent me.

He asks for about 10-15% commission from book sales, he doesn't ask for any money from me personally, so he seems very legit, and he came recommended...

So before I fill out any additional paperwork... I wanted to know if anyone else has had experience with Mr. Salkind's literary agency, and/or studio B.

Mayusan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for finding the original thread and posting me there. And thanks to the two stories from those who have Neil as their agent. I feel a lot better signing with him.

He does seem to be an extremely nice person, he's not asking me to buy this and spend that and give him this, and he even gave me a great tip to make my book better prior to vetting it to publishers... so he seems very legit to me.

I'm happy to hear from others who are signed wit him. It makes me feel a lot better!

Mayusan

Registered
Reaction score
Just a breif update...

I've been working with Neil for over a week now, and he helped me tremendously to tweek my book to make it even better, and he helped me with my proposal since I haven't written one before (being my first book). Now he's ready to pitch it, and he says it's a matter of patience at this point.

he's done a great job, has been very helpful, and very personable. He explains each step well so I understand what's going on, I wouldn't have any problems telling others to attempt to send a submission to him.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
More praise for Neil

Just wanted to add my support to/for Neil.

Although my book hasn't sold--yet!--he always promptly answers e-mails and sends along updates and remains encouraging.

And, of course, he NEVER ASKS FOR A PENNY.

Best of luck to all of us!

SirBiatch

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Derek. What genre are you selling?

Diane Elle

Registered
Reaction score
The writer who wrote the column linked to above is listed as an agent on the Salkind website.

MaddyClaire

Registered
Reaction score
Question Re: NIEL J. SALKIND (merged w/agent's thread in B&BC)

Goodmorning, Everyone!

I just joined yesterday - hiya. ;-) After querying several agents, Niel J. Salkind of Salkind Literary Agency (also "Salkind Agency") called me to discuss my letter/cv.

I've already read the existing posts on Niel's agency (all of which were very good). I was just wondering: Does anyone have anything else they'd like to tell me about Mr. Salkind before I sign on with him? He seems like an amazing guy, and he gives GREAT phone -- a talent that impressed me and is bound to impress editors/associates as well.

Thank you so much! My email address is [email protected]. My book site is Girls from Pluto.

Happy New Year!
MaddyClaire

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Check out this thread in our Bewares and Background Check forum:

Salkind Literary Agency (Neil Salkind) / Studio B Productions

Just saying, posting your email address in an open forum may help spam to find your mailbox.

-Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody had business with Greg Aunapu? He seems to be the only agent with them dealing with fiction. PM has no record of him, but it may just be that his deals have not been posted....

Update: I queried and he replied with one PRECIOUS piece of information: he told me where he stopped reading and WHY. I think it's the most useful information an agent can ever give. And he even had suggestions on how to fix the problem. I am in AWE.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That is pretty amazing. I'm thinking of submitting to him as well. Does anyone know why the agency isn't listed on Agent Query or Query Tracker? Sales info would be appreciated as well, of course. He lists clients who definitely have sales, though I'm not certain if they are his or priors.

EnnaEnoch

Newbie Author
Registered
Reaction score

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well -

I just queried Anita. I'll let you all know what happens.

Joan J.

Registered
Reaction score
The guy is really nice....and he seems like the real thing. The only problem is that my manuscript is for the CBA market...and when I look at the books they've published it is impossible to judge how many connections they have with that market.

I suppose I'm going to have to say "Duh!" and smack my forehead when I hear the answer, but what's the "CBA" market?