AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1519202122232425

Thread: AuthorHouse / WordClay / Words of Belief / Author Solutions, Inc.

We will never hear the end of it now

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...d0cd-304640565

Basically, S&S just signed an author previously 'self published' by Archway. I haven't seen the book in question, but I am wondering if the author ever bothered to look for a commercial publisher, and how much she paid Archway (if she did) in the beginning.

Either way, you can be sure all the Author Solutions marketing staff will be using this as part of their pitches.

ETA: curiouser and curioser. Castleman has apparently been in publishing and marketing for a long time, so it's possible she knew enough to avoid paying Archway for publication. But a book strong enough for the commercial market shouldn't have needed Archway in the first place. Her connection to a children's literature institute makes me even more curious, but I'll have to go research that group to see if it's the one I'm remembering.
    Last edited by Filigree; 08-06-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added info

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

practical experience, FTW Rachel77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...d0cd-304640565

Basically, S&S just signed an author previously 'self published' by Archway. I haven't seen the book in question, but I am wondering if the author ever bothered to look for a commercial publisher, and how much she paid Archway (if she did) in the beginning.

Either way, you can be sure all the Author Solutions marketing staff will be using this as part of their pitches.

ETA: curiouser and curioser. Castleman has apparently been in publishing and marketing for a long time, so it's possible she knew enough to avoid paying Archway for publication. But a book strong enough for the commercial market shouldn't have needed Archway in the first place. Her connection to a children's literature institute makes me even more curious, but I'll have to go research that group to see if it's the one I'm remembering.
    It's also the first Archway title that S&S has picked up. ASI trumpeting it in their marketing pitches was my first thought too on reading it ("Publish with us and you too might be picked up by Simon & Schuster!"), but one title, out of how many that Archway has published? If you want to be published by S&S, you're still much, much better off going through an agent.

I just discovered that AuthorHouse has put a pdf version of one of my discontinued novels up for sale through Ingram. Ingram has since taken it off their list, as AH confirmed that the contract was nullified by me in 2008. Talk about slimy...and dumb, because that poor novel was a tedious 600 pages.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Wow. Great update.

This M/M space opera

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Link didn't copy. Rats.
    Last edited by Gravity; 03-13-2015 at 11:54 PM.
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL, WildBlue Press

www.cameronbanebooks.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Wordclay Publishing

Hi,

Any one familiar with Wordclay Publishing?
    got a call from them..

you can check the website www.wordclay.com

Any comments will help...

still writing my my romance novel..just started actually...

It's part of Author Solutions. There's a thread here about AS and its offshoots.

We'll save you the trouble in case you don't want to spend hours on that thread:

Notorious vanity publisher with more heads than Hydra, and possibly slightly more evil.
    Run away, then do research for better publishers.

This M/M space opera

Penguin Buys Author Solutions?

This just popped across my news feed:

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2012...r-116-million/

This is weird, Author Solutions and it's various subsidiaries make money off authors, not off author's works. They recently started giving authors 100% of royalties, so they could better sell marketing and distribution services, where their real income source is. New business model for Penguin?

Jeff

Crap. I never seem to read the dates on these things and just got hit with a three year old news item.

I've never paid attention to Author Solutions before so I never noticed it. Sorry.

Jeff

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Now that all the lawsuits have been settled, Penguin Random House has sold Author Solutions:

Penguin Random House announced Tuesday morning that they finished 2015 in style, unloading the albatross of Author Solutions to an affiliate of Najafi Companies, for undisclosed terms.
    http://lunch.publishersmarketplace.c...ons-to-najafi/ (requires login)
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    As always, Writer Beware has a good roundup of the low-down: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2016/0...te-equity.html
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

My take...TL;dr

Author Solutions bought by another bottom-feeder. Will probably commence eating itself further out of relevance except for authors who 1) are not internet savvy enough to research and/or 2) are ESL authors from developing nations where the vanity publishers are frantically trying to expand.

I can guarantee they'll try to use the Najafi family-publishes-with-us connection as a marketing tool.

This M/M space opera

AuthorSolutions(Publisher)

I was on Reddit's writing community when an ad for AuthorSolutions popped up on the side. It seems like they are a self-publisher but they also have partnerships with publishing houses?

http://www.authorsolutions.com
    Last edited by RWrites; 08-15-2017 at 12:29 AM.
    http://writersweeklyblog.wordpress.com

"Start writing, no matter what. The water does not begin to flow until the faucet is turned on." Louise L'Amour

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Author Solutions is the company that owns AuthorHouse, iUniverse, Trafford Publishing, Xlibris, Palibrio, and Booktango.
    Emily Veinglory

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    Until this thread gets merged, the link to the ongoing discussion is: link

General consensus is: You spend way more money with them than you need to.
    Last edited by Richard White; 08-18-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Cut the link since the threads were merged.

but they also have partnerships with publishing houses?
    Those ads you see on the AuthorSolutions site, that show as partnerships, are with other self publishing companies and with the self pub imprints of some name publishers. NOT with trade divisions of publishing houses. All of it is author services for "self" publishing.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1519202122232425