Horror books of my youth unearthed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
:)
Just gone back to childhood home to weekend with ex-pat Mum and the ugly sisters, and what should I find but that mother, preparatory to 'doing something' with the utility room, has taken all the boxes out. And in one of them are a whole heap of books I haven't seen, or thought of, since the eighties, when I were a nipper.

There's 'Full Circle', by Straub, 'The House Next Door' (Rivers Siddons), 'Comes the Blind Fury' and 'When the Wind Blows' (John Saul), 'Revenge of the Manitou' (Masterton) and 'The Survivor' (Herbert). Many of them 1st ed paperbacks (unfortunately quite a few of them not mint, as I like my books to have that lived-in look). And it's only the 1st box!

Best of all, I have very little memory of what any of these books were like. I'd forgotten John Saul even existed, though I've an idea his work was kind of lascivious and hokey.

Aladdin's cave or what? Can't wait to see what's in the others.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you lucky dog. Enjoy. :)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
You want a real horror story?

When I was a kid, long long ago, I bought up every second hand horror book I could find. By the time I was adult, I had boxes and boxes of first edition Arkham House books--Lovecraft, Frank Belknap Long, etc.

My girlfriend's teenage daughter was smoking in the basement with her boyfriend, set the basement on fire, and poof! no more books.

I was forced to dismember them both, of course.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Completely justified, Rugcat. Sad, sad day. :cry:

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
The House Next Door was a great story. I read it for the first time last year, and wished she'd written more scary stuff.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I must have had the same youth as you, zahra, a continent away. :D

Also loved The House Next Door.

Here's one I often think about that I read as a teenager: Slob, by Rex Miller.

Found it in a used bookstore circa 1993. Tremendous read.

And it's not exactly horror, but Harlan Ellison recommended this quirky little science fiction novel on Sci-Fi Buzz one night. It was F. Gwynplaine Macintyre's The Woman Between the Worlds. Another classic from my high school years, when I could cut through two or three novels a week. Now, with two kids, I'm lucky to read one a month. :flag:

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
I must have had the same youth as you, zahra, a continent away. :D

Also loved The House Next Door.

Here's one I often think about that I read as a teenager: Slob, by Rex Miller.

Found it in a used bookstore circa 1993. Tremendous read.

And it's not exactly horror, but Harlan Ellison recommended this quirky little science fiction novel on Sci-Fi Buzz one night. It was F. Gwynplaine Macintyre's The Woman Between the Worlds. Another classic from my high school years, when I could cut through two or three novels a week. Now, with two kids, I'm lucky to read one a month. :flag:
The kids are your books now - read 'em and weep!

Rugcat, how awful! You see, that's why kids shouldn't be allowed out of their rooms til they reach the age of reason - 30 or thereabouts.

Currently reading 'Full Circle'. I forgot it had been made into a film with Mia Farrow. Finding the sexualizing of the kids much more uncomfortable to read than when I was a kid myself, and the heroine locking herself out of her house for the second time is rapidly making me want to shake her til her teeth fall out. It's set in a real street with which I was not familiar at the time, but now know very well.

'The House Next Door' was a great read, though the snobbery of the MC left a bit of a sour taste.

Funny the things that strike you when you're that much older.

Justin91

Registered
Reaction score
Just like Christmas!

This just happened to me as well. My mom is cleaning out her house and said had a bunch of boxes I had to take home with me so she can sell her house…and I now have three huge boxes of books from when I was in high school! Most I have read (King,Saul,Crichton) but many I have not.

I remember buying most of them from yard sales and bookstores and such, I just didn’t remember so many.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
It's Christmas with an evil Santa!

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Lordy, John Saul's a bad writer!

Status
Not open for further replies.