The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: e-cyrano.com

Reece10

e-cyrano.com

Hi Everyone,

WARNING : Kinda long but bear with me.

Unfortunately, I responded to the following ad:

"Had it up to here with pitching freelance articles to magazines that couldn't care less? Fed up with doing thankless script coverage for $10/hr? If so, supplement your income by writing online dating profiles.

The job couldn't be easier or more fun. The client pays for the services online, fills out a lengthy questionnaire, which, in turn, gets forwarded to you. Set up a half hour to talk, turn around 2 essays in the next 2 days, and get paid $42. 20 minute profile writing consultations pay $14.

There is an application process in which you'll have to write a sample profile. Competition will be fierce, so most will not get hired. Talent will be highly considered, but the most dedicated will likely get the work - which will probably begin in mid-December..."

In return I was sent a lame email which included everyone writers email address who similarly responded to the ad. This email then went on to ask us to write to the person whose email is just after ours and interview them to create a sample of a dating profile - or something like that!!

NOW, my email is being flooded by irate fellow writers who have a thing or two to tell the person offering the writing gig.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

Was anyone else caught?

Reece >:

aka eraser

Re: Dating online scam

Bummer Reece. I'm going to put a copy of this on the Bewares Board.

SimonSays

Dating online scam

Reece -

If it's the guy I think it is, it's not a scam, it's just a bad and inpersonal way of going about having people audition for the gig.

The guy is a former match.com employee who is setting up a consulting company for online daters. He's charging something like 150 for profile consulting services and using freelancers to write the profiles.

I don't know if it's the same guy or not. But the guy I'm thinking of is not a scammer - I know someone who auditoned for him awhile back and will be doing profiles for him.

Reece10

Hi Somin says,

Here's his name: (I won;t give the full name just incase)

Evan

Is this the same guy you are talking about? If he is legit I for one would like to know.

Up to today, I received irrate replies from writers who are simply hitting reply on the email so everyone on the list gets a copy!

Reece

SimonSays

yeah reece that's the guy.

check out e-cyrano.com - that's the company

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar

e-cyrano.com

Scammer or clueless? You decide!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Heh. Still around: http://www.e-cyrano.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: