bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Permuted Press

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I've recently seen several Permuted Press contracts, and there are issues of concern, in my opinion, including:

- A life-of-copyright grant term without adequate provision for reversion (the work is "in print" as long as it's "available from the publisher or licensee in any edition"). Reversion in a life-of-copyright contract should always be tied to specific sales minimums.

- An overly sweeping Option clause that gives the publisher first refusal right on any sequels, prequels, successor works, or even, possibly, works in the same genre ("any full-length work of fiction based substantially on subject matter, material, characters or incidents in the Work").

- Royalty rates potentially substantially reduced by "special discount sales"--defined as anything sold at a discount of more than 40% (most online retailers demand a much bigger discount), in which case royalties drop to just 5% of net.

- Substandard ebook royalties (20% of net) and subrights splits (30% of net).

- An excessively long publication window (four years).

- Victoria

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Four YEARS? Good gravy!
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL now out through WildBlue Press, August 2015

www.cameronbanebooks.com

Thanks, Victoria. I've made note of these conditions in case something pops.

tri

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    Four YEARS? Good gravy!
    That does seem excessive... I don't think I've seen anything longer than a year.

I'd hazard a guess they're putting that in because they're snapping up titles left and right but... well, it's a VERY long time to be waiting if you're at the end of the line.

Four years?

I'll pass on that point alone, never mind the other ones brought up by Vic.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin PeggySueM's Avatar
    thank you, Victoria. I haven't received the contract yet, but I'll be sure to also make note of all your concerns as I read it through as well. I'm already feeling twitchy about signing a contract, but I wanted to take my series to the next level (possibly bookstores, foreign rights, better promotional avenues, etc.) and was hoping Permuted would be able to help make that happen. I haven't made tons of money from self publishing the first book, but it has done quite well the past 6 months, selling over 5,000 copies. It is *so* hard to make sure you're doing the right thing. Publishing is tricky.
    Homeschool Mom of 5 by day.
    Eclectic Author by night.
    Peggy Martinez

If you sold 5000 copies in six months, that's great for self-publishing and pretty good for a small press. Hold to your guns on finding the right publisher.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin PeggySueM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    If you sold 5000 copies in six months, that's great for self-publishing and pretty good for a small press. Hold to your guns on finding the right publisher.
    I published the book in a serial format (4 parts) and then the combined omnibus edition this past January. So, those are sales of the combined parts & the omnibus. (not any freebies) The omnibus is still doing pretty well, but I'm not good with knowing how to get sales pumped back up after they start slacking off. I planned to publish the next book in the same format since I've seen success doing it that way. From what I've seen, Permuted is the leading publisher in post apoc & zombie horror novels, so I was hoping between my own hard work, my own platform building & their awesome following/reach I could expand my fan base/reach.
    Homeschool Mom of 5 by day.
    Eclectic Author by night.
    Peggy Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    I've recently seen several Permuted Press contracts, and there are issues of concern, in my opinion, including:

- A life-of-copyright grant term without adequate provision for reversion (the work is "in print" as long as it's "available from the publisher or licensee in any edition"). Reversion in a life-of-copyright contract should always be tied to specific sales minimums.

- An overly sweeping Option clause that gives the publisher first refusal right on any sequels, prequels, successor works, or even, possibly, works in the same genre ("any full-length work of fiction based substantially on subject matter, material, characters or incidents in the Work").

- Royalty rates potentially substantially reduced by "special discount sales"--defined as anything sold at a discount of more than 40% (most online retailers demand a much bigger discount), in which case royalties drop to just 5% of net.

- Victoria
    That's why I wanted an agent - I'm terrible with contracts
    Last edited by popgun62; 05-02-2014 at 05:12 AM.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Hoping to grow up one day Wormwood's Avatar
    My concern was that they might be spreading themselves thin in the promotion department with so many new titles locked up. I will go with my agents recommendation.

Micah
    Short Story Micah Ackerman | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Don't talk to me while I'm writing ClarissaJohal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
    My concern was that they might be spreading themselves thin in the promotion department with so many new titles locked up. I will go with my agents recommendation.

Micah
    What did your agent recommend, Wormwood?

Now is the winter of my discontent. haunted's Avatar
    They are open to some negotiation. We negotiated, and I am satisfied. Publication schedule for me is running next summer, so that is fairly typical. All their authors love them, and that also speaks strongly enough for me.
    Author of nonfiction ghost stories and memoir, horror, paranormal and apocalyptic fiction.

Red Death: A Post Apocalyptic Thriller (Severed Press) http://tinyurl.com/m3hwf2r

Red Death: Survivors http://tinyurl.com/p9jdc6t

A Haunted Life (Llewellyn) http://tinyurl.com/lmtc4nn

The Dead are Watching (Llewellyn) http://tinyurl.com/n57wqgp

Haunting of Black Tower Mansion (Voodoo Press) http://tinyurl.com/qjbbgsz

Haunted Tusc Co (Haunted America Series, History Press)

Don't talk to me while I'm writing ClarissaJohal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haunted View Post
    They are open to some negotiation. We negotiated, and I am satisfied. Publication schedule for me is running next summer, so that is fairly typical. All their authors love them, and that also speaks strongly enough for me.
    Congrats! I'm about 2 steps behind you, lol. Just sent them the info form so they can send a contract.

figuring it all out
    http://www.examiner.com/article/an-i...michael-wilson

I find this interview explains a lot about what's going on at Permuted Press.

I have a nine book contract with them and am very-very satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhugger View Post
    http://www.examiner.com/article/an-i...michael-wilson

I find this interview explains a lot about what's going on at Permuted Press.

I have a nine book contract with them and am very-very satisfied.
    I'll be releasing my next four books with Permuted, and so far I like everything about them. Mike is super easy to work with, and I like the way they're heading as far as branching out into other genres and the new Permuted Platinum program.
    Last edited by popgun62; 06-18-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post

- Victoria
    I subbed to Permuted last week. If, on the billion to one chance, they like my book and a contract comes up, the point in bold would be my first concern especially the genre issue. Still, these things can always be talked about.

Live a little. Write a lot. Karen Junker's Avatar
    Just an fyi, Seun -- I know someone who is with Permuted and was able to negotiate several of the things in the contract. If you don't have an agent, just be sure you know what language you DO want to use, if you want to change it. You may also try to just strike things out. Best wishes!
    Karen Junker
    www.CascadeWriters.com
    "Spend a passionate weekend with your muse!"

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Junker View Post
    Just an fyi, Seun -- I know someone who is with Permuted and was able to negotiate several of the things in the contract. If you don't have an agent, just be sure you know what language you DO want to use, if you want to change it. You may also try to just strike things out. Best wishes!
    Thanks for the info. Could be a moot point - they need to like my book enough to start talking contracts, but I can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by seun View Post
    I subbed to Permuted last week. If, on the billion to one chance, they like my book and a contract comes up, the point in bold would be my first concern especially the genre issue. Still, these things can always be talked about.
    Hey Luke - good luck! I would try to get an agent if they make an offer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by popgun62 View Post
    Hey Luke - good luck! I would try to get an agent if they make an offer, though.
    Trying. Failing.

Live a little. Write a lot. Karen Junker's Avatar
    Seun, what he's saying is: once you have an offer from a publisher, sometimes an agent will be more inclined to work with you, so you can hurry up and call or email a bunch of agents IF the publisher does offer you a contract.
    Karen Junker
    www.CascadeWriters.com
    "Spend a passionate weekend with your muse!"

We'll see how things go. If anything happens with Permuted, you'll all be the first to know.

It's a woman's world. amberhuez's Avatar
    Submitted to them recently. Thanks for this thread. Was not aware of them until I found these posts. They sound excellent. Is there a list anywhere of publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts?
    Last edited by amberhuez; 09-24-2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Got answer elsewhere so decided to ask different question.

Quote Originally Posted by lostintwinpeaks View Post
    Submitted to them recently. Thanks for this thread. Was not aware of them until I found these posts. They sound excellent. Is there a list anywhere of publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts?
    Ralan's Webstravaganza is an excellent resource for writers of sci-fi, fantasy and horror. You can also check out Duotrope, but I think they may charge a fee now.

practical experience, FTW JaneD's Avatar
    Seun, how did your sub with them go?
    My blog http://janedougherty.wordpress.com/

The Green Woman trilogy available from Amazon

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast