Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Permuted Press

Sgt Spanky

Permuted Press

Would one of our resident experts like to give this site and their sample contract a look-see and give us an opinion as to whether or not these guys appear legit or are they just another con job masquerading as an opportunity for new writers?

The site includes a sample contract under the FAQ section.

www.permutedpress.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Permuted Press

They seem to be a niche publisher specializing in Horror. They pay on net, which is not the best deal for a writer. Although you could do far worse, aim higher.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    They're a small press specializing in horror/dark fantasy, with some name recognition in that community. We got a couple of their books last year for World Fantasy Award consideration--they were attractively designed and nicely produced. Prices aren't out of line, and they're honest about their publishing model (despite the use of the dreaded "traditional") and the fact that most promotion will be up to the author.

I didn't see a sample contract on the site.

- Victoria
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 01-24-2007 at 07:57 PM.

I read their FAQ and they tell you exactly what to expect from them. I don't see a problem with using them.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by zizban View Post
    I read their FAQ and they tell you exactly what to expect from them. I don't see a problem with using them.
    They have a forum and a live chat as well... I did one Anthology with them called 'The Undead' They're a good group of people.

Here's the url for the forum if anyone is interested:

http://permutedpress.com/smf/index.p...6919aae016bc1d&

I'm glad to have registered here with you folks. I've got a lot of info from the pages of the cooler... Greatly appreciated...

Pat

The force is strong in this one. williemeikle's Avatar
    They've recently started getting books into Borders stores and I know people who have bought some there.

They're small press, mainly into post apocalyptic horror with an emphasis on zombies, and as long as you know what you're getting into, they're legit enough. Definitely not scammers.

They've also got some pretty cool anthologies. Don't pay much, but nice product. Check out the cover on this sucker:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934861138

(I've got a a story in Volume 2)

Permuted teams up with Pocket Books

Just posted some big Permuted Press news in the "Announcements" section... we've teamed up with Pocket Books for a 7 title co-publishing venture! Full details here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148097

practical experience, FTW

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PermutedPress View Post
    Just posted some big Permuted Press news in the "Announcements" section... we've teamed up with Pocket Books for a 7 title co-publishing venture! Full details here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=148097
    Congrats! I'm a huge fan of all things zombie! When will you be open for submissions again?

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis) defyalllogic's Avatar
    has anyone worked with them or heard anything new?

A woman only a demon could love Erika_Lindsen's Avatar
    I subbed to them during the fall. They are currently closed to unagented submissions. Ultimatley, I was rejected, but "made it to the final round." Communication with them hasn't been the best though. Emails I've sent have gone unanswered.
    Look! I have a short!

WIP
    Soul-should be done soon...

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    I have a friend who pubished a couple of books with them a while back. He seemed happy.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

I'm currently in the process of having my first book published by Permuted, and it's been an absolute dream working with them. Jacob has been great to work with, and correspondence has been fantastic. They've even got a deal with Audible.com now to do audiobooks, alongside their currently partnership with Pocket Books/S&S to reissue certain bestsellers. A new batch of audiobooks is being released on November 22, 2011 (my book included!), and my book will be out shortly thereafter.

Permuted also seems to have a pretty good-sized following; they've really done a great job of building up their reputation as the go-to for post-apocalyptic and zombie lit.

practical experience, FTW MicheleLee's Avatar
    They're a niche zombie/post apoc publisher. Some of the best zombies books I've read have come from Permuted. (I recommend anything by Kim Paffenroth and Bestial by William Carl.) So has some of the most cliche books I've read.
    My Webpage
    Monster Librarian YA Editor

Coming soon~~>Wolf Heart-Where the wild things are...

Deepdale Acres Romances #1 & #2<~~Now Available

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JP Walters's Avatar
    Just wanted to step in and say, for the record, that these guys were the first publisher to pick up "John Dies at the End", which later went on to be published by St. Martin's Press and was made into a feature-length movie set to release next year. So if nothing else, they have good taste!

practical experience, FTW loki76's Avatar
    I just signed a trilogy with them and so far they have been great to work with. They do lots of promotion, and are quick to respond to any questions, have audible formats, and great editing.

I have a horror on sub to them and just got an email: New owners. They apologize for the wait, will understand if I want to withdraw the sub, and will be working through the queue.

FYI.

Banned
    I got a letter like that too. And they now are expanding their operating scope, like Necro Press, other strands of speculative thrill-makers like urban fantasy, weird thrillers, and Lovecroftian horror are welcome now.

Just an fyi, since someone mentioned the new owners:

I'm currently published with Permuted Press (three books currently in print, three more possibly on the way--we're still working that out), and have been with them through the transition with the new owners. The new guys are great, responsive, and very easy to work with. One of the new owners is Anthony Ziccardi (I might have spelled that wrong), who used to work for Simon & Schuster as Deputy Publisher, and he was also an Associate Publisher at Random House.

I'm subbing a supernatural sci-fi thriller to them right now. Anyone have any updates?
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Represented by

practical experience, FTW Treehouseman's Avatar
    They're still going. An acquaintance of mine has a novel with them and its been shortlisted for a major genre prize. I think people are pretty clear that it is a small press.

I've heard of these guys before, but didn't submit because my book falls a little under the 60K mark. Not sure if they would groove on my book either, it's a dark mystery/thriller. I hope they'll let that word count slide a bit. I could always add if they want a revision or something.

Good luck to those who have submitted.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

Just accepted an offer from them to publish my supernatural sci-fi thriller. Excited!

2/3/14 - Queried via website with full manuscript.
    2/8/14 - Received offer to publish.

Represented by

practical experience, FTW Lauram6123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by popgun62 View Post
    Just accepted an offer from them to publish my supernatural sci-fi thriller. Excited!

2/3/14 - Queried via website with full manuscript.
    2/8/14 - Received offer to publish.
    Congratulations!!

Thanks Laura M.

Represented by

OMG! So awesome!!!! BIG Congrats to you, Popgun!
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast