• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Magazine] Writers' Forum

xanthalanari

Registered
Reaction score
[Editor/consultant] John Jenkins

Here's a piece of background in case any of you in the UK are likely to be working with John Jenkins (currently of National Council for the Training of Journalists) - in his previous venture, a British magazine called Writer's Forum, he seems to have made a habit of not paying his contributors.

Juliet E McKenna's experience - http://community.livejournal.com/writefantastic/32156.html

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
An internet acquaintance of mine writes for Writers' Forum, and has told me she's had no problems getting paid--but I don't think that Mr Jenkins edits the magazine any more. He once asked me to write some articles for him, but his payment terms were interesting: he suggested that I review various writing-related hardware and software and persuade the hardware and software manufacturers to advertise in the magazine, after which point he would pay me a commission on all the ads I sold.

I considered this--I have a background in sales--but in the end didn't take him up on the offer, for all sorts of obvious reasons.

xanthalanari

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if the problem was with Jenkins or the magazine itself (which now appears to have gone under anyway), but either way the situation sounds less than ideal!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Xanthalanari, as far as I know, the magazine is still up and running, and commissioning articles.

Your links concern issues with payment to contributors while the magazine was edited by (and I think owned by) John Jenkins. He sold the title well over a year ago, and the problems do seem to have disappeared now that the title is in new hands: I've heard of no complaints since that happened (but I'll admit that I've not been looking for them). I hope that this magazine is now back on course, and see no reason to believe otherwise.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Carl Styants now edits the magazine, I've had some dealings with him and he is brilliant. I know a few other writers who have sold to WF and there has been no problem with payment.

Actually its improved 100% since. It is available from WHSmith and Borders.