AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Manus & Associates Literary Agency

spywriter

Manus & Associates Literary Agency

Can anyone tell me about MANUS LIT agency? They have asked to read my first 30.

THANKS!

vstrauss

Re: MANUS LIT

Congrats--this is a successful agency with a great track record. There's info on sales at their website: www.manuslit.com/flash/index.html

Hope they ask for the rest.

- Victoria

spywriter

Re: MANUS LIT

Thanks for the thumbs up Victoria. I had queried them a while ago and they are just now getting back to me. If they like me, I will break contract with my current agent (I have a clause) and go with them. I like my current agent, but I am starting to suspect that she doesn't have the contacts she needs for my novel. I think that her intentions are pure, but I also don't think there is any chemistry between us. I got Al Zuckerman's attention first, but I couldn't get past one of his readers...she said she "couldn't relate". Honestly, I was so thrilled that Writer's House would look at such a newbie, I can't be too upset. Hopefully Manus will be different.

Anyway...I will keep you guys posted!!!! Watch...the day I break contract, my current agent will have some million dollar deal for me...isn't that Murphy's Law?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Manus & Associates Literary Agency

So, what happened?!
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW

Jandy Nelson

She's with Manus and Associates. Anyone have experience with her? She's the only one there who does thrillers so I'm curious for more info, but I couldn't find much on PublishersMarketplace, though she was on AgentQuery and according to them a member of AAR.
    -MightyScribbler

Seems okay. They represent some pretty high powered folks you wouldn't want to screw with (Newt Gingrich).

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I can't recall the details, but she checked out OK. I happened to have sent a query to Janet Wilkens Manus yesterday, so the agency name was familiar.

Good luck.

figuring it all out just_a_girl's Avatar
    I heard about her through a friend who heard about her through a former classmate. She got the classmate a huge bookdeal with a major publisher. Unfortunately, when I queried her I got back a form rejection

practical experience, FTW
    Has anyone had recent experience with these guys? Or has anyone worked with Jillian Manus? Thanks.

Reviving this old thread... anyone have recent query experience with Jillian Manus? I snail mailed the query and first 30 pp ~ 3 months ago and have not received a response. The website - http://www.manuslit.com/flash/index.html - says they reply to all snail mail submissions. So, just wondering if that is true or I should write this one off. Many thanks.

"The point is not to take the world's opinion as a guiding star,
    but to go one's way in life and to work unfalteringly
    neither depressed by failure nor seduced by applause."
    -Gustav Mahler

Have you queried for status yet? If not, drop them a line to confirm they received it and when you'll hear back.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

figuring it all out
    Thoughts? I would like to query this agency but my problem is: I write mystery and Janet Wilkens Manus is the one that represents the mystery genre. And she doesn’t accept open queries. Three of the other agents will accept open queries. Should I query Jillian W. Manus, even though she doesn’t represent my genre, and hope that if she finds my query interesting she’ll pass it on to Janet?
    I guess the worst case scenario is that I either receive a form rejection or don’t hear back at all – huh? Do you think it’s worth a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by leigh78 View Post
    Should I query Jillian W. Manus, even though she doesn’t represent my genre, and hope that if she finds my query interesting she’ll pass it on to Janet?
    I guess the worst case scenario is that I either receive a form rejection or don’t hear back at all – huh? Do you think it’s worth a shot?
    As you say, what's the worst that could happen? It's not like they're going to put you on an industry-wide blacklist or something. And all it's going to cost you is the time to cut-and-paste an e-mail query. Go for it!

requiescat in pace Requiescat In Pace
    Has anyone queried Stephanie Lee recently? She might be a fit for my book.

Thanks in advance,

ILS
    It is with the deepest sadness that I must tell all of you that my wife, Irene Schaft, passed away on Monday, 9 August 2010 from a massive stroke.

In lieu of flowers, please consider making a contribution to Parker Paws, http://www.parkerpaws.org/donate.html a local animal shelter.

Irene's system will only be up infrequently for the next few weeks, and her mail will not be checked regularly. Any messages of condolence can be sent to her husband George at schaft@schaft.com

Irene's blog: [URL]http://sybilsimon.com/[/URL]

On 10/6 sent snail mail query plus 30 pages toJillian Manus per their website. Have heard not a peep. Website does not give timeframe, merely suggest that writers "be patient with us."
    When to I nudge?

Finally received a polite rejection from Manus Agency, four months after snail mailing my query and 30 pages of y ms.

I tried to query Dena Fischer today at dena@manuslit.com, but got an error message from gmail saying the mail could not be delivered.
    Did she change her email? On the website it's still the one above.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivia View Post
    I tried to query Dena Fischer today at dena@manuslit.com, but got an error message from gmail saying the mail could not be delivered.
    Did she change her email? On the website it's still the one above.
    Had the same issue today.

Manus and associates email doesn't work. I tried to query Mrs. Janet, anyone knows details or an update?

Not a word of it on their site, but according to QT, they closed December '15.
    "Thank you for contacting Manus & Associates. Unfortunately, we are shutting our doors at the end of this year and therefore, not taking submissions anymore. Best of luck in your future endeavors."
    ICAO
    ---------