Advice on Meeting an Editor

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
If this question is in the wrong place or not suitable, please move or delete it. Thanks.

I have an editor appointment in July at RWA. I've never done one of these 'pitch sessions' and read somewhere that most editors and agents absolutely loathe them. I don't really feel like I have any viable chance of actually selling anything through it, but thought it would at least be a good learning experience.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to approach it? I'm not a natural self-promoter--a bit too shy, I think. I have a little website where I've got the 'backstory' and such for my books posted. Should I mention it or give the editor my card (which lists the site)? Or should I forget I have it? Anything at all will help since I don't know the first thing about what to do at this event.

I just don't want to make a fool of myself. Well, not a total one.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Miss Snark (RIP) blogged about this, if you search her archives I'm sure you will find wisdom.
You could ask the editor what they would like to know about your book rather than launching in to a rehearsed spiel

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
From what I've heard, it's more of a mixed bag than you state. Some agents and editors enjoy a good pitch; others, as you say, would prefer a lengthy root canal session. The main complaint from many editors and agents about these things is that sometimes they get swayed by a hot pitch, then start looking at the manuscript and quickly see that this person does not know how to write. Some people are very good at promoting themselves and their ideas in person but lack the mechanics to pull them off in writing.

If your synopsis is well written, it can serve as a lot of the basis for making a pitch. The editor wants to know in a few minutes what your story line is, and what your characters are like. You should also be prepared to make comparisons with what else is out there, that is, works similar to yours. How is yours similar? Different? (And whatever you do, never say your work is unlike any other, it'll get a floor to ceiling eye roll because it just means you haven't read enough). They're not expecting Clarence Darrow, but you should be prepared to answer any basic questions.