AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Flannery Literary (Jennifer Flannery)

Lee Tasey

Flannery Literary (Jennifer Flannery)

Also, there is another agent. Her name is Jennifer Flannery. I have a good feeling about this one, but I've heard there are a ton of scams out there, and I've never submitted a book to anyone before. I want to be safe and don't want to get cheated (as if we writers have money to waste).

Stace001

Re: Jennifer Flannery?

There are a number of sites you can go to to check their legitimacy. Preditors and Editors, www.agentresearch.com these are both free services to people who would like to find information on agents, current or potential. Good luck and remember, if in doubt, ask. The guys on this site and the ones mentioned above, are fabulous and they will give you the info you need to make an informed decision.

Risseybug

I queried Ms. Flannery earlier this year. My form rejection notice got back to me in about three weeks, I think.:lol
    I am pretty sure she is legit. She was very nice. Wonder if I should query her again, now that my book has been accepted for publication?

I also found an interview with her somewhere. Google her name, see if you can find it, it will tell you what she looks for.

vstrauss

Ms. Flannery specializes in children's and YA books. Among others, she reps well-known YA writer Gary Paulsen. I'm not aware of any negative info.

- Victoria

Risseybug

Ah, yes, now I remember. That was the reason I queried her. I write YA fiction.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Jennifer Flannery Literary

No website, it seems.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Here's her agentquery profile: http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=894
    Still no website.
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

figuring it all out
    Not much out there on Ms. Flannery. Anyone have recent experience or knowledge?
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    I recently e-queried her about my YA and she sounded very excited about it, personally asking me to send a full ASAP. I never had an agent so enthusiastic about reading my work. I thought, at the very least, I'd get a personal rejection for my trouble.

Alas, two weeks later, I got a half-sheet form rejection.

Oh, well. At least I know my query is good.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

figuring it all out
    I got the same form R. Didn't get a personal request, though. I got a form card in my SASE.
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin LeefsBiggestFan's Avatar

Talking Info on Flannery and Q about exclusive...

Hi all - I'm a newbie to the forum. I just received a request from Flannery Lit for a full and I can't find much on them. Anyone lately (2008+) with any experience with the agency? I have a full out to The Creative Culture (they accept only a full in lieu of a query) and I'd marked it exclusive (which was optional). Now I'm wondering if I should withdraw the Creative submission, notify them that it's no longer exclusive, or wait the remaining 5 weeks (possibly) for their response before submitting to Flannery. Any thoughts...?

Thanks much!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Personally, I'd wait, since that could get complicated. Just drop a note to Flannery that the full's currently out on exclusive, and you'll forward it as soon as it expires (assuming you don't get an offer).

In the meantime, if you don't have other mss to distract you from the wait, give the current one Yet Another edit.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

She requested a full from me the first week of February and sent me a snail rejection three weeks later. On the back of the form rejection was a great handwritten note about why she rejected it. Very classy.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin LeefsBiggestFan's Avatar
    Thanks, CaoPaux. Good advice. And thanks for the input on your experience, Vandal. They appear to be a good agency.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Flannery Literary

I did send a query to Flannery literary in late January, and while I was rejected, they did get back to me in just two weeks. They seemed very professional, and I came away with no ill feeling about them.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin iowawriter's Avatar
    Has anyone heard from this Jennifer Flannery Lit agency lately? She has had my query for a month.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin iowawriter's Avatar

Unhappy

And at exactly one month is where I got my form rejection. Oh, well.

Any news of the agency?

practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Any news of the agency?
    She has a website now:
    http://flanneryliterary.com/

I am going to send her an equery today and will post back when/if I hear something. Her website says that she will reply to all queries sent via snail mail, but will only respond to emailed queries when asking for a submission.
    Bryan

practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar
    Well, got a quick form letter rejection emailed to me just now. I didn't think we'd be the best fit, but it was still worth a shot. At least I can report that she is responding to queries and has a fast turnaround.
    Bryan

Sent -- 9/8
    Rejected -- 9/26

(Hey. I love the ones who let me know. And now I know they don't always read two seconds before I sent it. lol)