AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency

practical experience, FTW

Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency

I searched P&E and got this:

Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency: A literary agency. Link broken.
    Jennifer Carlson: $ a literary agent with Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency.
    But that's about all I could find. Does anyone have personal experience, ever queried them before or know more information? I realize that finding them on agentquery and finding a "$" next to Jennifer Carlson's name on P&E is all good, but it's still very little information. I can't find a list of sales anywhere, or find anyone whose ever been agented/queried/or interacted with Ms. Carlson or any of the DC&L agents. Just wondering.

giving resonant directions JamieFord's Avatar
    I met Henry Dunow at the Squaw Valley Writers Conference last year––a very nice guy. He reps Alice Sebold, among others. I queried him and he asked for a partial, but I never heard back. In the meantime I had other offers, so I signed with someone else.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    , a New York Times Bestseller. Or a handy paperweight.
    www.jamieford.com @jamieford

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just for the record: her AgentQuery page.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Jeff Moores

Has anyone had any experience with Jeff Moores? He's a relatively new agent at Dunow, Carlson and Lerner who is building his list. He requested a partial from me after I queried Henry Dunow. Not a lot on Mr. Moores on the web, so I'm just curious if anyone has any insight to share.

Ribbed for your pleasure. Voyager's Avatar
    “You write how you write. If I were a calculating careerist, I would not be a novelist.” Justin Cronin

"I'd rather shoot myself in the face than have another discussion about the difference between one category of literature and another." Colson Whitehead

facebook.com/jes.bosworth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hi! I'm echoing the fellow above--has anyone had any experience with Jeff Moores? Thank you!

I met Jeff at a conference, and he's great. Very smart, up-and-coming, and definitely on the lookout for new talent. You can see a video of an interview with him at HarperStudio here: http://www.26thstory.com/blog/2008/1...agents-re.html

crushing on fictional characters Kathleen42's Avatar
    Has anyone queried the agency? Lerner wrote the fabulous Forest for the Trees but there doesn't seem to be much info about the agency.
    "Barry, you're over thirty years old. You owe it to your mum and dad not to sing in a group called Sonic Death Monkey." Nick Hornby, High Fidelity

HEMLOCK now available from Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins

Website * Twitter * Goodreads

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin TinneyH's Avatar
    I queried Henry Dunow quite recently; wouldn't have expected to hear anything this soon. I'll post if anything happens.
    Cosa fatta, capo ha. - Mosca dei Lamberti

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen42 View Post
    Has anyone queried the agency? Lerner wrote the fabulous Forest for the Trees but there doesn't seem to be much info about the agency.
    They have a very informative website, which includes one of the most comprehensive authors lists I've ever seen.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin TinneyH's Avatar
    Almost forgot to post this: very courteous form rejection, very prompt (snail).
    Cosa fatta, capo ha. - Mosca dei Lamberti

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    According to AQ Jeff Moores is no longer working as an agent

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    According to AQ Jeff Moores is no longer working as an agent
    Yup, he's offering writers' services now (flash-heavy site): http://www.jeffreymoores.com/live/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I worked with Jeff Moores last spring in his Literary Consultant capacity. I contacted him again about a month ago to work with him again, he was quick to respond and take money to evaluate about 70 pages, and now he doesn't respond to emails at all -- and it doesn't take a professional a month to review 70 pages. He did say he was having personal issues but assured me my project would be a priority. I was duped and hope no one else sends him money.

I had him removed from the expert list at Backspace and filed a complaint with the BBB.

Too clever by a third
    I queried Dunow a month ago and haven't heard a peep, so I Dunow what his opinion is...

practical experience, FTW augusto's Avatar
    Queried Dunow on July 17. Their website says they don't respond to all queries and they haven't (yet).

Dancing between good and evil... Phantom Writer's Avatar
    Ditto for me too- queried begin of Sept and nothing. So, I'm assuming it's a no.
    There is only one guaranteed outcome when you write a novel: insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by ASN64 View Post
    I worked with Jeff Moores last spring in his Literary Consultant capacity. I contacted him again about a month ago to work with him again, he was quick to respond and take money to evaluate about 70 pages, and now he doesn't respond to emails at all -- and it doesn't take a professional a month to review 70 pages. He did say he was having personal issues but assured me my project would be a priority. I was duped and hope no one else sends him money.

I had him removed from the expert list at Backspace and filed a complaint with the BBB.
    The same thing happened to me when I paid Jeffrey Moores $200 for what he calls his Conference in a Can (editing help with my query letter and the first 20 pages of my manuscript). He was so nice and communicative when I first approached him and sent him money, but then he never edited my pages or returned my emails. I am very disappointed in Jeff Moores and I hope this does not happen to anyone else, which is why I am making this post.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with Jeff Moores? He's a relatively new agent at Dunow, Carlson and Lerner who is building his list. He requested a partial from me after I queried Henry Dunow. Not a lot on Mr. Moores on the web, so I'm just curious if anyone has any insight to share.
    BEWARE OF JEFFREY MOORES! I paid him $200 for his Conference in a Can (editing help with my query letter and the first 20 pages of my manuscript), and he was quick to take my money but never edited the pages and never replied to my follow-up emails. Someone else here had a bad experience with Jeff Moores too... see ASN64's comment and my reply.

Any action here?

Hey all,

Has anybody heard from these guys recently? I sent a query to Jennifer Carlson at the end of January and just got a request for the first 50 pages. Just curious--anyone know what their turnaround time for partials is? Thanks!

I'm represented by Henry Dunow and he's fantastic. He's unbelievably busy, of course, has heaps of clients, so he's not going to do a lot of hand holding -- don't expect late night calls to discuss strategy, etc. -- but he took me on as a client on the basis of my debut novel manuscript and then he turned around and sold it to a major publisher quite quickly. He's got clout: when he went out with the book, he was able to get any editor or publisher on the phone more or less immediately and deliver the pitch, and to a person they all asked to see the book. Whole process was over in two weeks. Post sale, he got me a fantastic film rights rep in Hollywood, and has intervened on my behalf once or twice, as needed, when there were issues with my publisher. He's submitted a couple stories, too, but not very vigorously. They each have their specialty DCL, his is literary fiction.

That's wonderful bobo! Thank you for sharing. Congratulations and good luck to you!

figuring it all out
    Has anyone had any recent experiences with this agency?

Enjoying the Adventure StellaArgentum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Droege View Post
    Has anyone had any recent experiences with this agency?
    I e-mail queried Henry Dunow on Nov. 13, and haven't heard anything. I'll post if I get a response, but the website says they don't reply to e-mail queries they don't like, so it might be a silent no.
    1897 Historical Fiction [Astoria, Ore., U.S.] (103K) - Shelved
    1849 Historical Fiction [San Francisco, Calif., U.S.] (98K) - Querying
    1884 Historical Fiction - Researching

I also queried Henry Dunow last week, but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm guessing with the holidays and all, the answer will be delayed - if it comes at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast