Novel from foreign writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

javili

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in the northamerican market for a novel. Almost nobody reads novels where I live and there is no way to make money with them.

What I have learned about northamerican novel business: these are not editions of 3,000 copies, they print 50,000 books first. Also, these books are longer. I don't think you can sell them a novel that is 40,000 words.

Maybe I am wrong about that? Also, I cannot understand if there is a large market for books among the -latino- population there. Is there interest in books about Mexico written by Mexicans?

Do you think that northamericans would be confused by Mexican culture things like our wrestling and music and politics? Would this all require explanation, or are people there aware of these things?

Gracias
Javi

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
There's a definite interest, particularly in California. Actually I think writing about a so-called "minority culture" (no longer the minority in CA but whatever) actually gives you a head start. What I mean is that people like unfamiliar settings and they like to disappear into different worlds. Just writing about your own culture is providing that for other people. So yeah, there's interest.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say yes, there is a market up in the States. And I'm a little ashamed to say I don't know much about Mexico's culture. Of course I live far from the border in Massachusetts, but you might have to at least subtly explain certain cultural conventions for a reader like me to not be confused.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hunch that there is a market about to explode in he States for books written in Spanish about the States or with American themes. I think you'd do better with that than with books written in English about Mexico. Not sure how you'd sell them or to whom.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
What I have learned about northamerican novel business: these are not editions of 3,000 copies, they print 50,000 books first.

50 thousand is a pretty large print run. I'm not sure what's average. 8 to 10K, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.