The weather

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Right, as I'm English, I'm allowed to talk about the weather whenever I like so here it is.

Is your local forecast ever right? According to the Met Office and the BBC, it should have been raining and no more than 15 degrees for the last three days in my town. Well, it's been 20+ and sunny since Monday.
Do they just look out of the window and make it up based on that or do they have any idea what the weather will be like more than an hour in advance?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where I live they go crazy on TV whenever there's even the slightest chance of snow. They would rather predict snow six times and only be right once, than to not predict it and then have it come.

The funniest thing was a small radio station in my hometown. They would read the weather report they got earlier regardless of the current weather. It would go something line "The high for today is expected to be 74 . . . currently it's 82." And I guess they were in a booth and couldn't even see outside, sometime they would said it was going to be clear and sunny all day . . . and at the time it was raining.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Humph. When I got here, the joke was that being an Australian weather forecaster was the easiest job in the world. It was always either "fine" or "mostly fine".

Well, after thirteen years of drought, half our state's under water now. Cop that, weatherboys. Now tell us what's next.

'Course, the surf reporters seem to get it pretty right, but it matters to them.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Humph. When I got here, the joke was that being an Australian weather forecaster was the easiest job in the world. It was always either "fine" or "mostly fine".
Sounds like San Diego. "Today, sunny and warm. Tomorrow, sunny and warm. The seven-day forecast . . . sunny and warm."

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I watch the Weather Channel - and then I listen to the local talk radio station. The weather guy on the radio is right about 99% - the Weather Channel, not so much. If Allan Kasper (radio guy) says it's going to snow, believe me, it's going to snow. So far, he's the only one who ever gets it right and I wonder how, since I thought most of them got their info from NOAA or some similar source.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Right now we're going through a spell of 'hot, humid, with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms' and that pretty much covers it.

And ugh, San Diego weather! I lived out there for a year, and by the time I left, all I wanted to see was some rain. A few clouds. Anything but that blasted 'clear, 80 degrees' crap day after day. It's not natural.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
I live in Michigan and let me tell ya, our weather changes every 5 mins. It totally sucks!!

Well I live in Missouri... our weather changes every 3 minutes. :p
There's a saying round these parts.
"If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."

So when the weather-folk say it's going to be "Changeable" they ain't wrong.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a saying round these parts.
"If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."
I think that's said about almost every place except San Diego and Antarctica. We use it in Tennessee, I've heard it about New England, Michigan, Cincinnati, Oklahoma . . .

Some people credit Mark Twain with the saying, but I'm sure it was used long before he said it.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
We're looking at thunderstorms tomorrow and Saturday. Which probably means we'll get snow.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here it's: Mostly cloudy, with chances of rain or showers. Tomorrow, partly sunny with chances of sprinkles. For the 5-day outlook - We have a mix of rain, clouds, showers, sun, morning fog, spotty showers, light mist, some sun, mostly cloudy and look for the sun to make an appearance in there somewhere.

Maybe.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
It is a non-typical summer day here. NJ is really just a big swamp broken up by pavement, so it's usually steamy, muggy, sticky - I mean, you can actually see the air come August.

But today is sunny and warm, but no humidity... the weather gods are going to make us pay big time eventually :)

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
It's been in the 90's here in North Carolina (where I am that is)... and I never watch The Weather Channel...or hardly watch the weather forecast...

As for July and August... YUCK! The humidity is so thick, you can cut it with a chainsaw.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Where I live they go crazy on TV whenever there's even the slightest chance of snow.

Hey, come take a gander at Gary England here in Oklahoma City. That man's been in movies, videos, TV specials, documentaries... he's made a good living off of 'Stay tuned to TV 9. We'll keep you advised.'

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
They go crazy here as well - snowstorms, hurricanes - if it's broadcast as severe weather, bread and milk fly off the shelves. You'd think we were going to be snowed in from January until March. If that happens, I guess all you need is bread and milk to survive. It's amazing. The longest I can recall being snowed in for was in '96, when we had over 3 feet of snow dumped on us. The roads were closed for three days.

Back then, I worked in a liquor store (which also see a boom in business at the mention of bad weather) and when the store reopened, people were actually angry that we were closed. Some had walked through 3+ feet of snow! Crazy.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I have one of those weather radios, and they always go nuts forecasting major ICE STORMS!!!!11 in the winter. Otherwise, they're pretty good. I usually ignore the TV forecasts, except for the Weather Channel. They're never right and always carry on as if the next storm is going to be TEH END OF TEH WORLD!

One of the local stations spent a couple of years naming winter storms the way they name hurricanes.
icon_rolleyes.gif