Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The weather

Hybrid View

The weather

Right, as I'm English, I'm allowed to talk about the weather whenever I like so here it is.

Is your local forecast ever right? According to the Met Office and the BBC, it should have been raining and no more than 15 degrees for the last three days in my town. Well, it's been 20+ and sunny since Monday.
    Do they just look out of the window and make it up based on that or do they have any idea what the weather will be like more than an hour in advance?

I've fallen and I can't get up. SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar
    Where I live they go crazy on TV whenever there's even the slightest chance of snow. They would rather predict snow six times and only be right once, than to not predict it and then have it come.

The funniest thing was a small radio station in my hometown. They would read the weather report they got earlier regardless of the current weather. It would go something line "The high for today is expected to be 74 . . . currently it's 82." And I guess they were in a booth and couldn't even see outside, sometime they would said it was going to be clear and sunny all day . . . and at the time it was raining.

"Art" SuperModerator poetinahat's Avatar
    Humph. When I got here, the joke was that being an Australian weather forecaster was the easiest job in the world. It was always either "fine" or "mostly fine".

Well, after thirteen years of drought, half our state's under water now. Cop that, weatherboys. Now tell us what's next.

'Course, the surf reporters seem to get it pretty right, but it matters to them.
    VOTING IS OPEN for

The AW SPACE Poetry Contest - Come, read the poems
    the password is citrus

Talk about them in the contest thread

Quote Originally Posted by poetinahat View Post
    Humph. When I got here, the joke was that being an Australian weather forecaster was the easiest job in the world. It was always either "fine" or "mostly fine".
    Sounds like San Diego. "Today, sunny and warm. Tomorrow, sunny and warm. The seven-day forecast . . . sunny and warm."

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Sounds like San Diego. "Today, sunny and warm. Tomorrow, sunny and warm. The seven-day forecast . . . sunny and warm."
    Stay classy, San Diego.
    My narcissistic website with books, music, and junk:

Forecasting the weather in Arizona is easy.

IT'S HOT!

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's an AW Moderator Ol' Fashioned Girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Where I live they go crazy on TV whenever there's even the slightest chance of snow.
    Hey, come take a gander at Gary England here in Oklahoma City. That man's been in movies, videos, TV specials, documentaries... he's made a good living off of 'Stay tuned to TV 9. We'll keep you advised.'
    aka: OFG

Click us... come on! Click us. You want to. You know you do.

The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
    Well, can you imagine the type of people who would Choose to predict the weather for a living?
    Exactly.
    "Anyone who can't stomach a bit of hypothetical grotesquery needs to toughen up, because the way the world's going, we'll all spend our final days scrabbling through a pile of steaming rubble, desperately scavenging for bits of charred baby to eat with our bare hands. And under those circumstances, a dark sense of humour will be a massive advantage."

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    I watch the Weather Channel - and then I listen to the local talk radio station. The weather guy on the radio is right about 99% - the Weather Channel, not so much. If Allan Kasper (radio guy) says it's going to snow, believe me, it's going to snow. So far, he's the only one who ever gets it right and I wonder how, since I thought most of them got their info from NOAA or some similar source.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

I'm super! Thanks for asking Siddow's Avatar
    Right now we're going through a spell of 'hot, humid, with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms' and that pretty much covers it.

And ugh, San Diego weather! I lived out there for a year, and by the time I left, all I wanted to see was some rain. A few clouds. Anything but that blasted 'clear, 80 degrees' crap day after day. It's not natural.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.--
    Reggie Leach

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand times the memory.

I live in Michigan and let me tell ya, our weather changes every 5 mins. It totally sucks!!

Why so serious? Backward Masking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarver30 View Post
    I live in Michigan and let me tell ya, our weather changes every 5 mins. It totally sucks!!
    Well I live in Missouri... our weather changes every 3 minutes. :P

The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarver30 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward Masking View Post
    Well I live in Missouri... our weather changes every 3 minutes. :P
    There's a saying round these parts.
    "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."

So when the weather-folk say it's going to be "Changeable" they ain't wrong.
    "Anyone who can't stomach a bit of hypothetical grotesquery needs to toughen up, because the way the world's going, we'll all spend our final days scrabbling through a pile of steaming rubble, desperately scavenging for bits of charred baby to eat with our bare hands. And under those circumstances, a dark sense of humour will be a massive advantage."

Quote Originally Posted by Bmwhtly View Post
    There's a saying round these parts.
    "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."
    I think that's said about almost every place except San Diego and Antarctica. We use it in Tennessee, I've heard it about New England, Michigan, Cincinnati, Oklahoma . . .

Some people credit Mark Twain with the saying, but I'm sure it was used long before he said it.

We're looking at thunderstorms tomorrow and Saturday. Which probably means we'll get snow.

Here it's: Mostly cloudy, with chances of rain or showers. Tomorrow, partly sunny with chances of sprinkles. For the 5-day outlook - We have a mix of rain, clouds, showers, sun, morning fog, spotty showers, light mist, some sun, mostly cloudy and look for the sun to make an appearance in there somewhere.

Maybe.

It is a non-typical summer day here. NJ is really just a big swamp broken up by pavement, so it's usually steamy, muggy, sticky - I mean, you can actually see the air come August.

But today is sunny and warm, but no humidity... the weather gods are going to make us pay big time eventually

practical experience, FTW Writer2011's Avatar
    It's been in the 90's here in North Carolina (where I am that is)... and I never watch The Weather Channel...or hardly watch the weather forecast...

As for July and August... YUCK! The humidity is so thick, you can cut it with a chainsaw.

They go crazy here as well - snowstorms, hurricanes - if it's broadcast as severe weather, bread and milk fly off the shelves. You'd think we were going to be snowed in from January until March. If that happens, I guess all you need is bread and milk to survive. It's amazing. The longest I can recall being snowed in for was in '96, when we had over 3 feet of snow dumped on us. The roads were closed for three days.

Back then, I worked in a liquor store (which also see a boom in business at the mention of bad weather) and when the store reopened, people were actually angry that we were closed. Some had walked through 3+ feet of snow! Crazy.

Still plays with dolls Pagey's_Girl's Avatar
    I have one of those weather radios, and they always go nuts forecasting major ICE STORMS!!!!11 in the winter. Otherwise, they're pretty good. I usually ignore the TV forecasts, except for the Weather Channel. They're never right and always carry on as if the next storm is going to be TEH END OF TEH WORLD!

One of the local stations spent a couple of years naming winter storms the way they name hurricanes.
    "Making words believe in themselves is an art form of a kind/Grasping branches that are too weak to hold the weight of lies..." Satellite Paradiso, "Big Block."

"Music, once admitted to the soul, becomes a sort of spirit and never dies." Edward Bulwer-Lytton

My about everything except writing blog:
    http://hittycaroline.blogspot.com/

The Farm - (tentative title) - being rewritten.