• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

BookStop Literary Agency

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Anyone have any feedback on them? P & E has a not recommended but then says only accepts childrens books. I'm wondering if that is the warning or if there were other problems - it is a chilrens book I want to submit. My query's don't seem to be doing the trick - I was hopeful since their submissions want to whole MS. Everyone I have had read my book loves it & can't put it down - I think that would be the key. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them a couple of years ago and received a pleasant rejection letter. I don't know why P&E doesn't recommend them, though.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Anyone have any feedback on them? P & E has a not recommended but then says only accepts childrens books. I'm wondering if that is the warning or if there were other problems

They wouldn't be "not recommended" just for only accepting children's books. Most imprints have a specific genre.

Let us know how it turns out.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...that's somewhat true, now that I think about it. They *did* list some editors in my rejection letter. I didn't think too much about it at the time. It's not as if they said we'll look at the manuscript again if you have it worked on by one of the recommended editors.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I think its a better sign that they recomended a list of editors as opposed to a single editor. It's when they recommend a specific editor that the idea of kickback and scam comes to mind.

Do you remember what editors they recommended?

I'd say submit to them and see what happens. If you have further questions you can always post here and get some more thoughts on it -- but it sounds like they are legit by the looks of the books James listed.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
I haven't submitted yet so I don't have a list of editors they recommended. Thats just what I got back from my e-mail to P & E. I was bummed to see they were not recommended since I was impressed with the list of books on their site. I have only found one other agent that will take a partial MS (50 pages) so I may go that route 1st .... I am having a friend that is a college english teacher edit so I would be wary if someone says I need to have it edited. I will understand some re-writes or omissions etc..... Thanks for everyones help. I am as new as they come to this. I will be 'lurking' here a lot - it's an awesome forum!

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I might still have the rejection letter, but I can't find it. I don't remember the specific editors. But I'm certain there was more than one.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I am having a friend that is a college english teacher edit so I would be wary if someone says I need to have it edited. I will understand some re-writes or omissions etc..... Thanks for everyones help. I am as new as they come to this. I will be 'lurking' here a lot - it's an awesome forum!

If you are having someone edit it you shouldn't be sending it to agents. Wait until it is edited.

chibeth

Registered
Reaction score
This is one time when I disagree with P&E: Kendra Marcus is a good agent and represents some extremely successful children's authors.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I would mention one more thing, which may tie into P&E's "not recommended" rating.

They never actually said in the letter that they were rejecting me! There was nothing along the lines of "the manuscript doesn't fit our needs at this time." I know there was a comment by the reader saying she remembered visiting the place which inspired my setting. And I think she said nice things about the manuscript, but maybe I am just imagining that! Then at the end was this list of editors. I'm sure they didn't offer to reread if I had the manuscript edited, but do you think this was a backhand way of saying that? Not actually rejecting me, but suggesting these editors?

Sorry I can't be more certain of what the letter said. I wish I still had it.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
This is one time when I disagree with P&E: Kendra Marcus is a good agent and represents some extremely successful children's authors.

P&E isn't stating that the agent isn't any good. What we're stating is P&E won't recommend any agent whose operations lists editors and book doctors in their responses to writers who didn't ask for such information.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I thought I would mention one more thing, which may tie into P&E's "not recommended" rating.

They never actually said in the letter that they were rejecting me! There was nothing along the lines of "the manuscript doesn't fit our needs at this time." I know there was a comment by the reader saying she remembered visiting the place which inspired my setting. And I think she said nice things about the manuscript, but maybe I am just imagining that! Then at the end was this list of editors. I'm sure they didn't offer to reread if I had the manuscript edited, but do you think this was a backhand way of saying that? Not actually rejecting me, but suggesting these editors?

Sorry I can't be more certain of what the letter said. I wish I still had it.

"the manuscript doesn't fit our needs at this time" is a very standard rejection.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I think what might be relevent is that just because an agent might be 'not recommended' by P&E doesn't mean they aren't a good agent. I give my thumbs up to putting that on any agent that recommends an editor or has a list of editors they recommend, but I don't think that every agent that has a list of editors they recommend is a bad agent. It's a warning sign, but if they are recommending reputable editors not affiliated with them then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

It comes down to a judgement call. In this case, I don't really see anything that would put me off the agency.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
"the manuscript doesn't fit our needs at this time" is a very standard rejection.

Right. What I'm saying is that the letter said nothing like this. The letter never actually said they were rejecting me.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Right. What I'm saying is that the letter said nothing like this. The letter never actually said they were rejecting me.

Sorry, must have misread that one. Thought you were quoting the letter there ;) That's what I get for skimming.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i'd query except the full ms request is a bit
extreme. at least let us send a one page to see
if you'd even be remotely interested?

WonderBoy82

Registered
Reaction score
I had a phone conference with Kendra and Minju today offering me representation on my book. Both of them seemed very professional, knowledgeable, and kind. I haven't been able to find anything about them that would suggest they are anything but legit. I think I'm gonna sign with them!