AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Avenue A Literary (Jennifer Cayea)

Gifted Goofball

Avenue A Literary (Jennifer Cayea)

Hi, all. A week ago, I was contacted by Jennifer Cayea of Avenue A Literary through MySpace, asking if I had representation and offering to look at any material I may have. I informed her I already had an agent (for my YA).

Here's her web addy: http://www.avenuealiterary.com/

Anyone have any info on this agency? I looked on P&E, but didn't see any info on them except their listing.

I figured since they weren't on AW already, we could have a thread for this agency, in case anyone out there needs/has info.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by giftedrhonda; 06-19-2007 at 06:49 PM.

My heart's a battleground Mystic Blossom's Avatar
    Never heard of her, but I've also never heard of an agent who contacts you first. Strange to me. Not sure if anyone else knows if this practice is common or not.

Absolutely Fazed
    She seems to specialize in African-American fiction, and she has an impressive list of well-reviewed books on her site that I presume are represented by her.

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club RitrChick's Avatar
    I have a partial out to her and will post any experiences/observations when I hear back.
    Write as if your DREAMS depended on it--because they do!

She has solid credentials and used to be with Nicholas Ellison, if I remember correctly.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

here's to the girl on the go Harper K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Blossom View Post
    Never heard of her, but I've also never heard of an agent who contacts you first. Strange to me. Not sure if anyone else knows if this practice is common or not.
    Yes -- legit and respected agents will contact writers whose works are in literary journals, magazines, anthologies, etc.

I've even known a few people who were contacted by agents because of their blogs. This doesn't happen very often, but if someone's blogging about a niche topic and / or has a really great voice and style (and a large readership), an agent may try to snap them up for their stable of authors and urge them to write a novel, memoir, or collection of essays.
    The Center of Gravity, redux (YA contemp), final final FINAL version!:
    62,000 / 65,000 words

Gifted Goofball
    Cool--it seemed a bit weird, but I know it's been done before. Thanks!!

practical experience, FTW

Question Avenue A Literary LLC

Any info?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JAG4584; 12-04-2007 at 05:15 AM. Reason: listed on A & E I was to blind to see

Sockpuppet

Jennifer Cayea's agentquery page is here:
    http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=341
    Not an AAR member. Sales listed to William Morrow, Plume, and Berkley, but it doesn't seem to have been updated recently.
    "interested in discovering first-time author who write high-quality fiction. She is currently looking for literary and upmarket fiction; literary thriller; Latino/Hispanic fiction and non-fiction; young adult, memoir, narrative non-fiction; self-help and is desperate to represent a baseball book."

-Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

I queried her by post back in April 17. It's been over two months and still no response. Should I safely assume that she's disappeared into the Bermuda Triangle of Agents?
    "It's a damn good story. If you have any comments, write them on the back of a check." -Erle Stanley Gardner, in a cover letter to hard-to-please editors.

She just got back from maternity leave so maybe that's why some people haven't heard back from her.

I just tried querying this agent and recieved the following message:
    I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
    For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.
    If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message

Dunno.,

Goddess of Rationalization Hathor's Avatar
    I dunno either, Sydneyd. I see on QueryTracker that folks were saying that emails were bouncing back in June, too.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    If Google is to be believed, she hasn't made any sales after 2008, which supports the last run of release dates on her website (Spring '10). Anyone have recent contact with her?
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar

Sent Query

After reading about no-responses and emails being bounced back, I went ahead and sent my query anyway. As of 5 minutes ago it hasn't come back to me. I'll post again when I hear something though.
    Bryan

How do you work this crazy thing?
    As near as I can tell, as of 10/8/13, this agency does not exist. There are no hits on QT for either Avenue A or Jennifer Cayea, and the web site is a dead link.