• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Libros International / Wild Cherry Press

SiverMask

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has heard of this publisher Libros International. The publisher says it's a startup by two authors and it's a POD, but they make you purchase 100 of your own books.

Is this legit even?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has heard of this publisher Libros International. The publisher says it's a startup by two authors and it's a POD, but they make you purchase 100 of your own books.

Is this legit even?

As a publisher? No, it's not legit in any way.

If you mean is that a legitimate codicil in a contract to have the book printed? Sure, it is perfectly legal if you sign off on it.

Regards,
Scott

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oy. This from the site:

"A Publisher run by Authors

Libros International was formed in 2006 by two authors frustrated by the lack of publishing opportunities available to new authors. Both were rejected by agents stating "we don't deal with unpublished authors" and inevitably by publishing houses claiming "we only deal with agents." A classic catch 22 to use Joseph Heller's immortal title.
Having gone through such negative channels, they set up their own company in order to give new authors that seemingly elusive opportunity of 'being published.'"

Could it be that they submitted their mss. to scam agents? Or, maybe, they sent their mss. to legit agents who weren't taking on new clients (and somehow misconstrued what was written in those rejections). I mean, if they've read agent blogs, like Rachel Vater's or Kristin Nelson's, they would've seen that they're taking on new writers. Legit agents take on unpublished authors all the time, for heaven's sake (unless, as mentioned before, agents decide they have enough clients to deal with at the moment).

Ooo, and publishing houses "claiming" to only deal with agents. If they'd done their research, they would've found this was true for most of the biggies, although you can still submit directly to places like Tor (and expect to wait about a year or more to receive back a reply).

Then there's this:

"What makes us different?​
  • We will not reject any author because he or she is previously unpublished.​
  • We accept all genres of writing.​
  • When you send us your manuscript, WE WILL READ IT."​
All genres? They're a start up (or it seems so to me), and they're taking all genres? Shouldn't they concentrate on 1 genre or maybe 3, at most? Especially at the beginning?

And there's what they say about buying 100 books:

"The author must ‘expose’ their own book to as many people as they can. This can be via reviews, gifts to radio personalities, book clubs, newspaper columnists etc. Libros will be doing a similar exercise. It’s all about exposure and that one book passed onto a friend of a friend of a friend may just find its way to a certain Mr Speilburg or end up with the paperback reviewer from the Mail on Sunday or The New York Times."

Huh? Author, you have to trust to luck or the Fates in order for your book to gain the limelight. Or something.

I'm sorry, but if that's the best this "publisher" can do, I'd say no and move on to the next publisher (or start querying agents).

One last thing. If you're claiming to be a publisher, little things like spelling mean a lot: It's Spielberg. Sorry, but nothing gets me more irked when I see spelling mistakes like this. Doesn't give me much (if any) confidence as to their editing abilities.

~Nancy

Last edited:

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yet Another Vanity Press run by the clueless.
And a 100 books via POD would be mighty $$$.

Last edited:

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oy. This from the site:

"A Publisher run by Authors​

Libros International was formed in 2006 by two authors frustrated by the lack of publishing opportunities available to new authors.

~Nancy

They better watch out or Victor Cretella will soon be sending them threatening letters. That's PA's pitch.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
It always makes my heart skip a beat and brings a tear of joy to my eye whenever I see another couple of writers, who could not get published, open a publishing company.

It's a vanity press run by two guys who probably have good intentions but lack the knowledge, contacts, experience, and funding it takes to become a commercial publisher.

Like Uncle Jim says, "Money always flows towards the author."

kaetie

Guess what!?

I know Libros. How? Because I'm a new writer and I joined a local writing circle. Libros approached the circle in order to use the members to review their manuscripts!?! My eyebrows were well-raised, but the other members (mostly British pensioners, I live in Spain) seemed to be all for it. So, this random group of amateur writing individuals are reviewing these manuscripts. For free! It's astonishing.

They have also been pushing their services onto the group.

Next thing, today, I hear they have targetted local school children by running a writing competition. They picked 100+ winners (!) and will be publishing the collection. Thus, parents and family will buy this collection.

Not good. Not good at all. Skullduggery abounds.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
It always makes my heart skip a beat and brings a tear of joy to my eye whenever I see another couple of writers, who could not get published, open a publishing company.

It's a vanity press run by two guys who probably have good intentions but lack the knowledge, contacts, experience, and funding it takes to become a commercial publisher.

Like Uncle Jim says, "Money always flows towards the author."

Sorry to disagree, but no way is this run by people who have good intentions but lack knowledge. These guys know how to make money out of wannabe writers - even from innocent children. They even charge per head for entry to the awards ceremony for these kids to receive their diploma and a contract. A contract which, if signed by a parent or gaurdian, means the sale of a lot of books directly from Libros. Work it out. A minimum of 50 compelled to buy books from 105 child authors equals a fair amount of revenue into Libros's coffers.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I know something about Libros because I subbed to them in order to find out what they are all about. When they accepted my book and sent me a contract, I declined and rejected them.

When you find yourself dealing with a director who has multiple personas, and responds to your contract queries with evasive non-answers from a hotmail address, you can see the writing on the wall and know it's time to back-pedal.

Emily2

Registered
Reaction score
Is he sure?

Does this bloke know what he's talking about. I've heard that Libros International may be a new company but that they are providing a first class service and a lot of support for up and coming authors. How can that be a bad thing?

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I've heard they create accounts on writing message boards to drum up support.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Does this bloke know what he's talking about. I've heard that Libros International may be a new company but that they are providing a first class service and a lot of support for up and coming authors. How can that be a bad thing?

Care to state who you heard this from? PA authors run amok on the internet proclaiming the virtues of Publish America. That doesn't make PA anything other than a scamming vanity press.

JCT

Banned
Reaction score
Care to state who you heard this from? PA authors run amok on the internet proclaiming the virtues of Publish America. That doesn't make PA anything other than a scamming vanity press.

We'd be interested in a testimonial, which some facts to back it up.

Emily2

Registered
Reaction score
The sour grapes comment may be obvious, but look at the previous comments. Seems to me it's obvious because it's probably true!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
From Libros International's FAQ page:

Unknown authors are rarely able to secure advances. Libros International do not currently make advances to any authors.

Bollocks. Professional publishers do pay advances to unknown authors because 'proper' publishers have books on sale in bookshops, which they sell to the public for a profit. Advances are calculated by professional publishers against the volume of books they think that they will sell.

In the meantime you will need to work on a brief synopsis and a biography of about 100 words for each. These will be used on the book cover and for marketing purposes. Since this is one of your sales tools, the synopsis in particular, needs to make people want to read the book, it's worth spending a bit of time choosing your words carefully.

I've heard of publishing companies adapting hooks/synopsis briefs produced by agents or authors, but the publishers are the ones who work out internally what to use.

The publishing industry averages around eighteen months from the point at which the book is accepted for publication. Libros International averages between 5-9 months.

That's because publishers will decide on marketing campaigns to promote your book, work on cover design, print setting, deals with physical booksellers and setting up distribution chains to get them to physical book stores.

The author must ‘expose’ their own book to as many people as they can. This can be via reviews, gifts to radio personalities, book clubs, newspaper columnists etc. Libros will be doing a similar exercise. It’s all about exposure and that one book passed onto a friend of a friend of a friend may just find its way to a certain Mr Speilburg or end up with the paperback reviewer from the Mail on Sunday or The New York Times. However publication is not dependent on the author buying any books.

Yes - marketing helps. Professional publishers do this without "expecting" their own authors do buy 100 copies and give it to people just on the off-chance. Professional publishers have a plan that involves book fares, discussing with book store's buying departments, providing review copies for free to reviewers etc etc. Professional publishers aren't banking on authors using six degrees of separation to get Senor Spielbergo to make a film out of it.

We also expect (not insist) that every accepted author will order a minimum of 100 books at the time of going to press.

Jill - as an author published with Libros International, can you tell us whether you bought 100 copies of your book? If not, have you bought any copies of your book? How you earnt any royalties from sales? Do you know how many copies have been sold roughly?

The first thing an author can do is to regularly update their own web-site. Getting business cards printed with the book cover is another good idea AND GIVE ONE TO EVERYONE YOU MEET.

Give me a frickin' break. They'll be advising authors to use lollipop stands next.

On a local basis the author should be looking to stir up as much publicity as possible via the local press and television and radio interviews. Believe me; the local media ADORE this sort of thing. It is also expected that the author orders at least 25 copies of the book for local promotions. Limited edition signed books on e-bay is good and free advertising. Dependant on demand you should also make a tidy profit.

Wow - from 100 to a potential 125 copies that authors are expected to buy (on the assumption that this isn't covered in the author's first purchase of 100 copies). Again, professional publishers will have marketing departments who will liase with local radio and tv stations but professional publishers know it's more important to get the product onto physical bookshelves.

Your book will automatically be listed on all of the major internet book shops in the UK and the US. i.e Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Ingrams etc. Your book will also find its way into the wholesale catalogues making it available to ALL bookshops.

The key word here is available - that doesn't mean that it's actually physically present on book shelves in your local book store.

We will then embark on our own publicity campaign targeting the major reviewers, (Mail on Sunday, Sunday Times) wholesalers and programmes such as Richard and Judy, Oprah etc. In turn the publisher will enter your book for the industry awards, dependent on the genre and the quality, the cloaked dagger award, the Sherlock Holmes award, Booker prize etc. No matter if you don’t win, you may be shortlisted, but even ‘Entered for the Cloaked Dagger award’ on the cover of your book will make a wholesaler or even a potential reader take notice.

Great. They spam for your benefit. Can someone tell me what the Cloaked Dagger award is, please. I know what the CWA Dagger Awards are but Google isn't turning up anything about Cloaked Dagger awards. Also, a mate of mine interned on Richard & Judy - the show's inundated with requests from professional publishers, many of whom have editors who know the producers - how do Libros International plan to break through to the coveted Reading List?

Jill:
As for the children's short story competition all proceeds are for charity as well as giving some talented children the chance to get published. This all smacks of sour grapes - authors rejected by Libros maybe? Please get your facts straight before you make libellous comments.

Which charity benefits from the proceeds and what proportion of the proceeds have been verifiably paid to that charity? Talented children who want to learn to write are better off honing their skills and submitting to reputable agents and publishers, not to amateur operations that sell the books back to their own parents. That's just wrong and frankly, pretty sick.

Also, before you bat around the yawn-inducing libel and sour grapes accusations, perhaps you should check out the profiles of some of the posters of these thread - they're people who are published with real publishers that get their book put on shelves - not people who've gone with a vanity press that targets children.

MM

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Emily2:
I've heard that Libros International may be a new company but that they are providing a first class service and a lot of support for up and coming authors. How can that be a bad thing?

Emily2 - would you like to let us know who told you that? Are you connected with Libros International? Do you work for them? Are you published with them?

What sort of support do Libros International give authors, beyond advising them to print business cards with their book jacket on it and expecting authors to buy the first 100 - 125 copies? Why do you think that support is a good thing? Do you have any experience yourself in the publishing industry that helps to support why you view this as a good thing?

I see they also expect authors to pay out to have web domains set up. In fact, I see a lot of their suggestions mean that authors will spend a large amount of money (based on the cost of 100 books at an average cover price of £8.99 according to Amazon UK) and all that to get only 7% or 8% royalties and no advance. Yeah, that's a really good deal for new authors ...

MM

Last edited:

colindoran

I'm a Libros author and have no complaints. They may not be a major publishing house, and an agent is obviously the best way to go, but what if you submit to a million agents and no one even reads a single page of your work? You could be the best author in the world and never get read. It's at least one way to get your proverbial foot in the door and get their name out there? You act like it's so easy, just send it out to an agent, you're better off. Not that easy, Jack. And you don't have to pay to have them set up a website, you can create your own, that's what I did. It's just one option. And they don't force you to buy anything, they merely make suggestions. If you people are so smart, why don't you publish my book, or find me an agent? And it's a little bit Hypocritical that you are so quick to dump on Vanity Presses (which Libros is not) and yet they are advertised all over this site.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
colindoran:
but what if you submit to a million agents and no one even reads a single page of your work?

You go back and look at your query letter and work to improve it. You take another look at your manuscript, join a critique group (on line or in a local college). You write the best thing you can write, then whilst that's doing the rounds, you write your next book.

colindoran:
It's at least one way to get your proverbial foot in the door and get their name out there?

If the only people buying your book are your friends, family and strangers you solicit directly, how are you getting your name out there?

colindoran:
You act like it's so easy, just send it out to an agent, you're better off. Not that easy, Jack.

No, it isn't easy at all. It's bloody difficult and there's a lot of heart ache. Check out the Rejection Forum here - there are loads of people in the same boat as you and whilst I have nothing against self-publishing via legitimate avenues like Lulu (which are up-front about what self-publishing is) entities like Libros International are not helping you in the slightest because they're pretending to be something that they're clearly not and worse, have clearly got v. little idea about the publishing industry.

colindoran:
And they don't force you to buy anything, they merely make suggestions.

Professional publishers with clear business plans and established avenues into book stores don't need to make "suggestions" that you buy your book. It wouldn't even cross their mind because their business is to sell to the public, not to the author, their friends and relatives.

colindoran:
If you people are so smart, why don't you publish my book, or find me an agent?

There's a pointed response I can make to that, but I'm not going to.

And it's a little bit Hypocritical that you are so quick to dump on Vanity Presses (which Libros is not) and yet they are advertised all over this site.

Look at the disclaimer at the top of the site regarding advertising content.

Like I said to Jill - can you tell us whether you bought 100 copies of your book? If not, have you bought any copies of your book? Have you earnt any royalties from sales? Do you know how many copies have been sold roughly?

And to add to those questions - how much of what the Marketing and Publicity Department of Libros has done has resulted in actual sales of your book and how many of your sales have resulted from your own marketing activities?

MM

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
On another board, I ran into an agent who placed books with Libros. After researching Libros, I was unimpressed with either Libros or the agent. I would not recommend either.