The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Ottenheimer Properties

nunka

Ottenheimer Properties

I'm an author of children's books and am looking for an agency.
    These guys were interested in my stuff in the past. How do I found out more about them? (they don't have a website)
    Does any of you have any recommendations about an agent or agency you work with (for children's books)?

Thanks,
    N.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Ottenheimer Properties LLC
    1314 Bedford Ave
    Pikesville MD 21208-6604
    Phone: 410-415-0415

At BEA 2006: http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6324720.html

Ottprop.com does not seem to exist at present.

At BEA 2007: http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/App/h...88&Exid=493020

1314 Bedford Avenue, Suite 113
    Baltimore, MD 21208
    Phone: 410-415-0415

Company Description
    Ottenheimer Properties is an agency representing publishers into the North American market. The principals have more than 90 years of publishing experience and a detailed knowledge of the market. We specialize in childrens books.

In general, there's no such thing as a stealth agent. Any agent you want is one who's sold books you've heard of.

nunka
    Thanks, I knew about these references, I just didn't feel the tell much about their experience.
    Is there a way to know which books he sold?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    You could ask him.

How did he come to your attention? Why do you feel he's the perfect agent for you?

Everything you wanted to know about literary agents

nunka
    I don't know if he is the perfect agent for me. I just know that he specializes in children's books.
    He is the only one who responded so far, but since I am at the beginning of the whole process of applying, I don't know how I can get more information about his experience (in order to know if he's the perfect one...)

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    I noticed in one quote above that the company represents publishers. They could be into selling rights to other publishers or businesses such as those that make action figures and might not represent authors.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Here they are listed as property managers. Here they are listed as providing business services. Here they are listed as real estate agents.

None of the above inspires confidence in their publishing expertise.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Aha! http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA222465.html

Allan Hirsch III was president of Ottenhiemer Publishers, a venerable book packager of children's books which closed in 2002 (with assurances that republishing Nancy Stouffer wasn't the final straw).

I don't find him connected with further book sales/production, though. Yet, at least.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: