The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] DeFiore and Company (formerly DeFiore and Company Author Services)

practical experience, FTW FCameron's Avatar
    Today, I sent a query to Caryn Karmatz.

Do any of you have updates on your partials/fulls?

Thanks.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Nope, but she's only had my partial for around three weeks or so...

Magically delicious TheCakeNovelist's Avatar

Talking

I sent my partial (100 pages) in July, and e-mailed a quick follow-up last week. Caryn got back to me within minutes requesting the full, with some very nice words about what she'd read so far.

I won't lie...I did a little dance

practical experience, FTW FCameron's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TheCakeNovelist View Post
    I sent my partial (100 pages) in July, and e-mailed a quick follow-up last week. Caryn got back to me within minutes requesting the full, with some very nice words about what she'd read so far.

I won't lie...I did a little dance
    Congratulations! Hope it all works out for you! Do dance!

Magically delicious TheCakeNovelist's Avatar

Talking

Thank you!

Best of luck, TheCakeNovelist
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    New avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon.

I'm NaNoWriMo-ing!

NaNo-WIP:
    HEDGEWITCH PROJECT (F/F Urban Fantasy)
    WIP2: DIVIDE (M/M Urban Fantasy)

practical experience, FTW D.Owczarek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Owczarek View Post
    E-queried Brian DeFiore on 7/18. Received a full request from his assistant on 7/19. (Fingers crossed....)
    Just to update: I never heard back on this full, even after a polite nudge earlier this month.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Owczarek View Post
    Just to update: I never heard back on this full, even after a polite nudge earlier this month.
    I had the same experience after I received several offers last year. I don't know whether it is the agent or the assistant, but fulls seem to sink without a trace.

practical experience, FTW D.Owczarek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaraudingDon View Post
    I had the same experience after I received several offers last year. I don't know whether it is the agent or the assistant, but fulls seem to sink without a trace.
    I know someone else on query tracker reported the same thing, and they nudged more than once.

Congrats on your offers from last year!

Happily stuck in the 19th century IsabellaCranford's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that Adam Schear took so long to respond, Bryan, and that the answer wasn't a better one. I just sent him a query for my own historical. Will have to see what happens.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Publisher's Lunch: "Rebecca Strauss will be moving to DeFiore and Company as an agent. She has been at McIntosh & Otis since 2005 as an agent and director of subsidiary rights."
    Shawn Proctor
    www.shawnproctor.com

E-queried Meredith Kaffel on 2/17/2013 (inc. 1st five pages).
    Full requested by her assistant Morris Shamah on 2/19/13.

YA Sci-Fi 67K words.

Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be hosting an interactive interview on my blog with Ms. Kaffel this Friday, February 22. If you have a question you'd like to ask her, feel free to hop over sometime that day.

I'll be back that morning to post a direct link.
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, May 2015)
    DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)
    DON'T SOLVE THE PUZZLE (Bloomsbury Children's, Winter 2019)

www.kristavandolzer.blogspot.com

Here's that link:

http://www.motherwrite.blogspot.com/...ith-agent.html

Ms. Kaffel will take questions until 5:00 p.m. EST, so feel free to hop on over anytime between now and then!
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, May 2015)
    DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)
    DON'T SOLVE THE PUZZLE (Bloomsbury Children's, Winter 2019)

www.kristavandolzer.blogspot.com

Rejection on my full from Ms. Kaffel after a nudge as a result of an offer of rep.

Her rejection was great, however, and essentially said that although she liked a lot about the book, it didn't go in the direction she thought it should. As a result, she bowed out because the agent who offered was probably excited about the book as is.

She seems like she would be great to work with.

Queried Meredith Kaffel at 10:47 this morning, rejection sent at 11:20. Way better than the other extreme of being left hanging for months, for sure.
    The Animals Behaving Badly book is out! They're not as cute as they want you to think.
    http://animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar
    Queried Brian DeFiore on 6/28/14, rejection 7/14/14
    http://jeseymour.com
    Out now from Barking Rain Press:
    Lead Poisoning (2nd ed.) - Things go wrong when a fugitive mob troubleshooter retires to New Hampshire to live with his family.
    Stress Fractures - Kevin Markinson, injured escaping from prison, taken hostage with a teenage boy and surrounded by law enforcement, discovers that everybody has a breaking point.
    Frostbite - a bumbling gang of Rhode Island mobsters get more than they bargained for when they kidnap an aging assassin.

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Hi. Does anyone know if Rebecca Strauss is open for submissions? The DeFiore site doesn't list her as one of the agents currently considering, but internet activity suggests otherwise. Last month on Twitter, for instance, she posted "I'm actively looking for more: women's commercial fiction, romance, mystery, fantasy, science fiction, & YA."
    The agency seems awesome, so it would be sucky to aim a shot in the deepest dark.
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.

If the agent's feed (on Twitter, Facebook, whatever) says they are actively looking for manuscripts, I would take that as an A-OK to submit. Before I did so, I would make sure that there's nothing recently contradicting that desire for manuscripts. And when I submitted, I would probably make sure to reference the tweet (or whatever) I saw.

Anyway, good luck with your querying process! It's a long, hard, and sucky road (for most of us).

figuring it all out
    I queried Caryn yesterday, and she responded with a polite rejection last night.

I sent in a cold query to the agency as a whole, and got a request for a full a couple of days ago. All my digits are crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've got no idea which agent was interested enough to read the full!

Has semi-colon; will use it! jtrylch13's Avatar
    Equeried Rebecca Strauss on 10/7/14
    YA Post-Apocalyptic
    Form R on 10/18/14
    Represented by Valerie Noble at Donaghy Literary Group
    Red Dawn + Xmen
    (YA SF) WIP
    THEY CHOSE THE STARS
    (YA Sci-fi) On Submission
    I HAVE NO NAME (YA Post-apocalyptic Survival) - Sitting on top of the trunk, afraid to go in . . .
    Serra Craft and the Keeper of Wilhelmina's Treasure (MG Fantasy) - Trunked

Facebook Pinterest Blog Twitter

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just a note for the record that they dropped "Author Services" from their name back in '13.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lulubell's Avatar
    Rebecca Strauss was my agent for almost a year. I'd been querying that project forever and she seemed like a good choice, good agency, a few clients whose names I've actually heard of before--no matter that they weren't in the genre I wrote in. She had no sales I knew of in my genre/category but she told me she was just looking to get into it. She was super-nice and enthusiastic, we talked at length about my book, so I was like all right, I'm on board.

Well, the first red flag was when she never mailed me back the signed contract. Then she made me do revisions for eight months, taking a month+ to read each new version I sent her. Finally I put something together that was to her satisfaction (I actually disagreed with a lot of the changes but hey... you know how it goes. An agent from NY was paying attention to me so I kept my reservations to myself and did as I was told.) And then we went on sub.

After it didn't sell for six figures after three months, she just kind of lost interest in me. She took two weeks to answer a two-sentence email, she hated everything I sent her... And then she dumped me over email, in the weirdest freaking message I've ever read. In the year I was with her she didn't make a single sale in my genre/category...and as far as I know she STILL hasn't made one.

I was going to just suck it up and move on. But then I had a talk with a friend and (after a glass of wine or two) opened up about this less-than-stellar experience. She strongly suggested I share it with others who are querying/choosing their agent. You may draw your own conclusions, but word of advice--check for sales, not just any sales, but sales in your genre, in your category. To good publishers. Sometimes agents are just new and that's normal, especially when it means they'll prioritize you and nurture your career. But when you're getting neither of these things, it's just not worth the anguish and ruined self-esteem.

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    I have been researching Lisa Gallagher and learned that she had moved to this agency. However, her submission guidelines are inconsistent. I found a form on a personal web page, which requests that three chapters be attached as a pdf. It also says to make it TNR 22 pt... I think that was a typo but it was in there twice. I'll err on the side of caution and assume she meant 12 pt.

Her profile on the agency site doesn't specify the type or length of partial (it says to attach the manuscript as a word document but I have my doubts that she wants the whole thing), and the agency guidelines say to include only 5 pages but to check individual agents' guidelines.

So, given all these conflicting guidelines, should I attach three chapters as a Word document and explain that this seems to be the most logical choice? Or not explain at all and risk the email being deleted because I included an attachment?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast