• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] DeFiore and Company (formerly DeFiore and Company Author Services)

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
Caryn requested a full BUT a couple weeks later, I received a personal rejection on my query? I'm going to assume she meant to reject my full instead of my query and chalk it up to a simple typo. I know I've had my fair share of them ;)

Aside from the moment of confusion (on my part), I'm sure she'd be a wonderful agent for anyone lucky enough to land her. Good luck!

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Feb. 17 request for partial from Caryn yesterday (March 21)! Fingers crossed...

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
So I haven't heard from Caryn since March 21. That means it's been two months that she's had my partial. What to do?

flygal716

Jump in the way of good luck
Registered
Reaction score
OK, here's an oddball question for ya.

I queried this agency about 4 weeks ago and just read the guidelines on their site, that if I haven't heard in 4 weeks, to feel free to resubmit. This was only the first or second agency I queried, and I was using my original query letter (I call it Letter A), which was pretty crummy. I have since modified it and am now sending out Letter E, which is a hundred times better! So, if I resubmit after 4 weeks, is it okay to send Letter E?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
OK, here's an oddball question for ya.

I queried this agency about 4 weeks ago and just read the guidelines on their site, that if I haven't heard in 4 weeks, to feel free to resubmit. This was only the first or second agency I queried, and I was using my original query letter (I call it Letter A), which was pretty crummy. I have since modified it and am now sending out Letter E, which is a hundred times better! So, if I resubmit after 4 weeks, is it okay to send Letter E?

I would say yes, go ahead and submit the new one. Maybe wait one more week though, just in case.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Caryn Karmatz Rudy represents best-selling novelist Joshilyn Jackson (Backseat Saints, The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, gods in Alabama, Between, Georgia). Not sure whether she has always repped her, but she's certainly done well by her.

Laura Droege

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Kate Garrick in May and received an autoreply that she was on maternity leave and would respond after 9/6/11. I got a nicely-worded form rejection today. That seems like a pretty prompt reply, considering that it's only been around 2 1/2 weeks since she returned to work. (And with a new baby, no less!)

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Adam Schear

Has anyone submitted a query to Adam. Am preparing to send one and wanted to know if anyone has had any dealings with him. He represents historical fiction, which is the best category my book falls into. I will post back when I have received a response.
Thanks!
Bryan

Flatliner

Registered
Reaction score
Pavtbr, did you ever get a response from Adam? I sent a query recently and wanted to know what to expect in terms of timing. Thanks

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
No response yet

I sent my query to Adam on 10/14, but haven't heard anything back. I have two other queries that have been out longer (9/27 and 9/30), so I haven't given up on this one yet. I still feel pretty new to querying and such. I just got a response back a couple of days ago from another agent, and the turn around time was 51 days. I keep pretty close tabs on all of my responses, and the average response time so far has been 12 days. So, my advice is to be patient, but by all means, send out more queries in the meantime.

I'll post back when I do hear something. Good luck to you!
Bryan

Flatliner

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the info Bryan. Sometimes I feel as though I'm alone on an island and my queries are lost in the Bermuda Triangle. Of course, when the Rs come in I'll feel like hiding under a rock:) My queries have all been out about 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know my stats too. Best of luck to you too!

Anita

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the info Bryan. Sometimes I feel as though I'm alone on an island and my queries are lost in the Bermuda Triangle. Of course, when the Rs come in I'll feel like hiding under a rock:) My queries have all been out about 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know my stats too. Best of luck to you too!

Anita

I think we all feel like we're on an island sometimes. But that's what this site is good for, to give us all helpful advice and a much needed confidence boost from time to time. Don't despair, the perfect agent for you is out there someplace. It's just a matter of finding out who that person is :)
Bryan

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Mathew Elblonk recently and heard anything back?

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a response from Adam yesterday on the query I sent in October. It was a rejection unfortunately. But for anyone who is waiting to hear on a query, it appears that it is taking a long time to read them, but they are responding.

Good luck to everyone!
Bryan

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
According to Querytracker, Meredith Kaffel, who used to be with Charlotte Sheedy, is now with Defiore.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here queried her? Know of any response dates? I'm thinking of sending her a letter.

Do it. About 6 months ago, I got the most lovely rejection letter ever. She was warm and enthusiastic, and her advice (though it was painful to admit) was spot-on. 3 other agents had all told me the same thing, but the way she phrased it made it much easier to hear.

She's top of my list for my WIP, when it's ready.

She was also really quick--requested the full within a few days, sent me a follow-up email when she started reading the full. Then there was a lag of a couple months, but it turned out that was because she couldn't decide whether to reject or not. She didn't just say, No, thanks. She took some time to think about it. So I didn't really mind the wait, once I knew the reason for it.

kjolie

Registered
Reaction score
I also received the nicest rejection from Meredith. She responded to my query in a week. I would definitely go ahead and query her.

BlossomQueen

Playing the Waiting Game
Registered
Reaction score
Do it. About 6 months ago, I got the most lovely rejection letter ever. She was warm and enthusiastic, and her advice (though it was painful to admit) was spot-on. 3 other agents had all told me the same thing, but the way she phrased it made it much easier to hear.

She's top of my list for my WIP, when it's ready.

She was also really quick--requested the full within a few days, sent me a follow-up email when she started reading the full. Then there was a lag of a couple months, but it turned out that was because she couldn't decide whether to reject or not. She didn't just say, No, thanks. She took some time to think about it. So I didn't really mind the wait, once I knew the reason for it.

Thanks :). I sent the letter the same day as the last post but she hasn't responded yet, but I'm definitely willing to wait. Does anyone have a list of genres she reps?

TheCakeNovelist

Magically delicious
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Caryn Karmatz-Rudy on 7/5/12 and received a very nice reply with a request for a partial on 7/16.

I sent her 100 pages last night, so we'll see :)

Literary Fiction

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
E-queried Brian DeFiore on 7/18. Received a full request from his assistant on 7/19. (Fingers crossed....)

TracyG

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Caryn Karmatz-Rudy on 7/5/12 and received a very nice reply with a request for a partial on 7/16.

I sent her 100 pages last night, so we'll see :)

Literary Fiction

I queried Caryn Karmatz Rudy in July also, and just got a partial request 10/12/12. Sent her 100 pages tonight, contemporary women's fiction. Any news on your partial?