• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] DeFiore and Company (formerly DeFiore and Company Author Services)

JC Lynch

Sorry to be the annoying new guy, but I have another request for information regarding an agent.

It looks like the Randi Murray agency handles novels such as mine (or at least such as I would wish mine to be). I am going through my list of potentials, and her agency takes e-mail queries (making it so much faster and cheaper).

Any ideas?

Stace001

Re: One more agent question: Randi Murray

Hi JC

I found a couple of sites you should check out. I'm constantly raving about them because they've helped me so many times, i don't know what i'd do without them.

agentresearch.com
preditors and editors

Check them out and see what you can find. If there's anything fishy about an agent or agency, chances are it'll be on one of those sites.
Good Luck

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Randi Murray--also often known as Randi Glass Murray--is legit and a very smart lady. She started out with the Amy Rennert Agency before hanging up her own shingle, and is now with DiFiore.

She hasn't made a lot of killer sales, but she's perceptive, experienced, and now has moved to a good NYC agency. I'd have no hesitations about her as an agent.

I queried her a couple of years back and we didn't hit it off (which was probably a good thing, as we weren't a good match, and I went on to better things), but she's professional, solid, and serious.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
DeFiore & Company Author Services, LLC

(Excavating from Promada thread.)

http://www.defioreandco.com/

Agents: Brian DeFiore, Laurie Abkemeier, Kate Garrick & Randi Murray.

bwoods43

Registered
Reaction score
Is DeFiore legit? I've followed the submission guidelines listed on the website, and I still haven't heard a response three months later.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is DeFiore legit? I've followed the submission guidelines listed on the website, and I still haven't heard a response three months later.

Yes, they are absolutely legit and according to their website, if you haven't received a response in four weeks then you should send your query again.

We respond to all queries within four weeks. If you have not received a response to your electronic query within four weeks, and you've followed our electronic submission guidelines (no attachments, "query" in the subject line), please resubmit your query.

bwoods43

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they are absolutely legit and according to their website, if you haven't received a response in four weeks then you should send your query again.

Are you suggesting this just based on the website, or based on your experiences with them?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you suggesting this just based on the website, or based on your experiences with them?

I'm just quoting what it says on the website, that it's okay to resend if you haven't heard in four weeks.

RBSHoo

One of those quiet-but-smart guys...
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard from this agency recently? I sent the 4-week followup, but heard nothing, and it's been five weeks since the followup. Frustrating.

Copydiva

Pump up the fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Sent Kate Garrick a query yesterday and received a polite rejection last night.

rtrgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's a fast response from Kate.
I've queried her twice. Once she didn't respond and once a few months went by and an R appeared in my inbox.
She reps my favorite author Jen Lancaster.

Copydiva

Pump up the fruit
Registered
Reaction score
I thought her response was fast too. She's by far one of the quickest responses I've gotten:)

caitysdad

Registered
Reaction score
I got a response from them 6 months to the day after submitting to their general submissions email box. It's my fault because I didn't write this query down and forgot to follow up, but 6 months later they told me to query kate directly.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
New announcement on DeFiore & Company website:

"NEWS: DeFiore and Co. Announces Major Company Expansion (3/2010)
Brian DeFiore of DeFiore and Company announced today a major expansion of his agency with the addition of four new agents, Debra Goldstein, Laura Nolan, Matthew Elblonk and Karen Gerwin. The four, formerly of the agency The Creative Culture, which was founded in 1998 by Ms. Goldstein and Mary Ann Naples (who recently joined the start-up e-commerce site OpenSky) will join current DeFiore and Co. agents Laurie Abkemeier, Kate Garrick, Adam Korn and Adam Schear on March 1st. With nine agents and additional support staff, DeFiore and Co. is now a solidly mid-size agency with a broad list of non-fiction and fiction authors for adults and young adults."

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Roly --

Matthew Elblonk reps YA, and he likes fantasy and paranormal.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score

I sent to Abkermier and got a rejection in a week. I am taking that as a sign they are prompt, efficient, and lacking in the sort of vision required to sign me immediately.....:tongue

seriously, she rejected in 1 week, can't speak for anyone else there.

Dr. Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Caryn Karmatz Rudy since she joined the agency?

I queried her 10/4/10 and just got a nice, personal "r." 4 weeks TAT.

FYI, she said she didn't rep my novel's genre (paranormal romance/mystery)

Good luck with your queries.

Doc